• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Photo Copyright

J

The Chameleon
All, if i took a photo, and posted it on my facebook - but now it's appeared on wikipedia / news sites etc..

Where do i stand - when i haven't even been contacted?

Cheers

Check the privacy settings on Facebook. They've recently changed, allowing people and photo's to be accessed via google which might validate this. From my own freelance experience, every photo used in news has to be sourced (i.e. in the photo caption, a url to the source and a name mention of the initial photographer), but that might not apply to photo's you've uploaded to Facebook.

Ah, so i may have shot myself in the foot? I took a great photo of the players winding up ewe's fans last season - and i just discovered it on the wikipedia page for SUFC.... oh well - it's a great photo, let the world see it i say.

Actually, as the originator of the photo you have the intellectual copyright, but you need to prove it. Post images with a watermark, say it is your image. Did you take it with a camera that imprints metadata?

Having said all this, you need to be careful what you photograph and permissions. Photographing people, private property etc. requires you to get signed release forms and such like. Photographing an organised event (like a football match) also require prior permission... so you could claim off the person that used your image without prior permission, but others could be claiming from you, including the clubs, the Football League, sponsors, players and anybody else in the picture.

Ah, so i may have shot myself in the foot? I took a great photo of the players winding up ewe's fans last season - and i just discovered it on the wikipedia page for SUFC.... oh well - it's a great photo, let the world see it i say.

This one you mean?!

;)

HERE

Actually, as the originator of the photo you have the intellectual copyright, but you need to prove it. Post images with a watermark, say it is your image. Did you take it with a camera that imprints metadata?

Having said all this, you need to be careful what you photograph and permissions. Photographing people, private property etc. requires you to get signed release forms and such like. Photographing an organised event (like a football match) also require prior permission... so you could claim off the person that used your image without prior permission, but others could be claiming from you, including the clubs, the Football League, sponsors, players and anybody else in the picture.

Just following on from OS's post, J, the other thing you'll need to consider is: even if someone has breached your IP rights, what is your loss? If you aren't a professional photographer or someone who makes money from selling photos, it might be pretty difficult for you to show that you've actually suffered financial loss resulting from the breach of your IP rights.

Matt

Just to let you know, the picture has found it's way onto Wikimedia Commons, which is a website popular with Freelance Journalists as it has a huge database of sports photos that are free to use as long as they're sourced by the user.

The "author" is listed as Tubes44 but it has metadata listed on there as well. Camera model used was a Kodak Easyshare M863, taken at 16:54 on 21 February 2009. It's been released to use in the public domain to be used without any conditions.

Page is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Southend_Players_taunt_colchester_fans_.jpg if it helps.

Just following on from OS's post, J, the other thing you'll need to consider is: even if someone has breached your IP rights, what is your loss? If you aren't a professional photographer or someone who makes money from selling photos, it might be pretty difficult for you to show that you've actually suffered financial loss resulting from the breach of your IP rights.

Matt

Surely there is some justification for doing the b@st@rds motor?

Last edited:
Just to let you know, the picture has found it's way onto Wikimedia Commons, which is a website popular with Freelance Journalists as it has a huge database of sports photos that are free to use as long as they're sourced by the user.

The "author" is listed as Tubes44 but it has metadata listed on there as well. Camera model used was a Kodak Easyshare M863, taken at 16:54 on 21 February 2009. It's been released to use in the public domain to be used without any conditions.

Page is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Southend_Players_taunt_colchester_fans_.jpg if it helps.

Fiddle me sticks.. that is scary you now know what camera i have and what time i took it!!

What a cheek, oh well - as i said - let the world have it.

Not sure who the **** tubes44 is?

Strange..

I'll have a little look into that tonight if I get a moment after cheering Milan onto victory.

Our MTBD pics were all put up on Wikipedia not long after the event last year. Presumably gleaned from here although some were also on FB. If you post it publicly then I think it's a consequence of the way things are these days.

Well all my ex's have a photo of my hampton that i have sent them somewhere no doubt , its easy to distinguish as the backie resemble's Arthur Fowlers allotment ......bear in mind teh fella has been dead 15 years !!

Have I anything to worry about ( copyright wise , not STD wise ) ??

Back