• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Application Submitted

there is an opportunity at the bottom of the page to comment on the development. Is it worth the Southend faithful letting the council know that we are 100% behind it?

Dont we have to see the details/designs first when they are made public?

RM said this would be the end of September...

rock.gif

Any member of the public can go to the Planning Office at the Civic Centre and ask to see the application. Might get a good idea of what the stadium will look like by doing that.

SS

As a town planner myself (I know Smiffy likes it when I use that phrase), I was thinking this didn't quite add up in that a planning application has been submitted without anyone seeing the plans and apparently submitted on the same day as Ron had said the application would be lodged in September.

So, I have phoned Southend BC who have confirmed that this is a scoping application - what this basically means is that it the Club are outlining to the Council what they intend to include within the Environmental Impact Assessment which has to accompany the actual planning application for the Stadium. The Council considers the information and then will go back to the Club and tell them if they think anymore information should be included. It seems a bit drawn out, but this approach is intended to prevent delays later on and is probably part of the rigid timescale that Ron alludes to for determining the application.

In short, therefore, the application detailed on the Council's website is not the application for the stadium but instead seeks to establish what should be actually included within the main application. As such, in answer to Kent Shrimpers question, it is not worth contacting the Council yet to show our support for the Stadium, that will need to be done when the main application is submitted.

I am sure when the application is submitted the Club will strongly encourage us to write in at that stage. Living near Brighton I have seen their fans mobilise themselves very effectively so that they have helped the Club is being close to gaining permission for a stadium which as a town planner myself (that phrase again Smiffy) is on a site far less acceptable than ours in planning terms. The club may prepare a standard letter for supporters to sign and send in in support of the application (as Brighton did) but if they do not, then perhaps we should draw up a letter when the main application is submitted through SZ which as many of the 1500 members (or however many there are) can send into the Council.

Thank you for this information Sussex By The Sea, most informative.

I believe your vast knowledge in this area (as a Town Planner yourself!) will become invaluable in the coming months ahead.... so much so, I feel we should make Sussex By The Sea, the resident Shrimperzone 'New Stadium Guru'....

Any questions regarding the New Stadium, should be put forward directly to this man before us people....

I'll start...

So, Sussex By The Sea....

What is the usual timescale we can expect on this 'Scoping' application, to become the main application for the new stadium project?...are we talking week's, month's or god forbid year's?...

rock.gif

Thank you Smiffy - if I am to be a guru I hope I am as good as Dr Smiffy on Dadzone.

As a town planner myself, I would think that the scoping application shouldn't take too long if it has been submitted with the necessary detail. I would guess a couple of months which would seem to accord with Ron's timetable of submitting the main plans in late September.

However, if the Council consider that the future Environmental Impact Assessment should contain more information than is currently shown in the Scoping application, (which in my experience is sometimes the case) then this can delay the submission of a planning application by a couple of months. If this is the case, and Ron announces there is a further delay, we should not get too despondent as it may mean that the actual application is decided more quickly and the objectors may have less grounds to substantiate their case on environmental grounds.

Has this gone under the radar:
Decision made: Scoping Opinion Issued
Decision Issued: 11-Sep-2006

So who can unlighten us on what this actually means...........

Hopefully the Opinion is that we are deserving of a new Stadium, the Plans look Sound and we are all Systems Go...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp_Stu @ Sep. 18 2006,10:20)]Has this gone under the radar:
Decision made: Scoping Opinion Issued
Decision Issued: 11-Sep-2006

So who can unlighten us on what this actually means...........
Think its best to leave this one to Sussex. The majority of my work is residential and such a stage does not exist - not in my experience anyway, which admittedly is fairly small!

I can only presume its stage within the prelim phase before full planning application is made. Thus meaning that we have so far submitted a preliminary inquiry with outline proposals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sussex by the sea @ Sep. 19 2006,09:37)]I have left a message with the planner at the Council and am awaiting a call back - hopefully I will be able to post with an update later on.
Good work Sussex..

smile.gif

What is a scoping opinion?
Developers may write to the county council requesting an opinion about what information should be included within an environmental impact assessment, this is called a scoping opinion.

Any application should be accompanied by:

a plan sufficient to identify the land.
a brief description of the nature and purpose of the development and of possible effects upon the environment.
any information or representation from the developer.
It is recommended that a scoping opinion be requested for all applications for environmental impact assessment development.

This will help identify and focus on work on those areas which should be covered, as well as avoiding subsequent delays in dealing with the planning permission.

Advice on the content of an environmental impact assessment can be obtained from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (opens in a new window).

Unfortunately I could not speak to the person who had dealt with the scoping opinion but I did speak to the person who will be the case officer for the application. Understandably the Council appears to be keeping its cards close to its chest but basically they are going need a very detailed traffic assessment which I imagine Ron has been working on already. In line with Ron's comments, the Council is expecting the application to be submitted later this month, but can not confirm a definate timescale, apparently there have been lots of discussions already between the Club and the Council.

Given that the scoping opinion was only issued last week, it is my guess (and it is only a guess) that the application is more likely to be submitted some time next month.

As a result of using my smooth fellow planner technique (cough) I have the direct line of the planner dealing who will be dealing with the application and she seems happy for me to ring up to find out how things are going so hopefully I will be able to find out more as time goes on.

Back