• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

Is it not the phase 1c residential that will be sold to the investor. That's what I'd taken it as.

It does not say that.

It does say that "Roots Hall Limited will then lease the new stadium and training ground to the football club itself." but then says "Thames Plaza will sell Fossetts phase one to an institutional investor, most likely a pension fund or insurance company"

So it could be SUFC have a lease on the Stadium and Training Complex and the freehold is sold to a pension fund or insurance company who will become our landlord?

A HUGE £30million Government loan will kickstart plans to build a new Southend United stadium and training ground, alongside hundreds of homes, it has been revealed.

The Fossetts Farm plan, which will feature a state-of-the-art stadium, a 107-bedroom hotel, and more than a thousand homes, could finally get off the ground, thanks to the “crucial” funding boost.

Homes England will loan Roots Hall Limited, the firm behind the development, alongside Thames Plaza, the £30million sum by November 30.

Both firms name Blues Chairman Ron Martin and his son Jack, as directors.
Roots Hall Limited will then lease the new stadium and training ground to the football club itself.
Ian Gilbert, leader of Southend Council, said: “This funding is vital, and a much needed boost. It’s absolutely crucial to it going ahead.

“With Covid and the clubs fortunes, there was always a risk [about the project], but this loan negates that risk.
“It’s taken huge amount of work, and a lot of negotiations, to get to this point, but I’m really proud of the council and our officers have done a hell of a lot of due diligence.

“We’ve had to make sure it’s all financially viable, and a big part of that was the council taking on the management of the homes.

“We will also have a significant say in how it’s built, and that it’s all up to standard.”
Southend Council helped facilitate the deal between Homes England and Roots Hall Limited, but the final negotiations were concluded by RHL itself.

The plans will see a club shop, a restaurant and conference space all included.

Two corners of the stadium will accommodate 182 apartments. In addition, a range of other blocks up to nine storeys high will provide a total of 1,114 homes Southend Council will also be involved in providing homes on the site for affordable rent.

Council documents read: “A temporary planning application will be submitted on land to the north of the stadium for a temporary training facility to ensure there is no net loss of training facilities.

“Thames Plaza will sell Fossetts phase one to an institutional investor, most likely a pension fund or insurance company.”

The hybrid application for the phased development and relocation of the club, which is currently housed at roots hall, includes demolishing the old club and replacing it with nine blocks from two to eight storeys high to provide 502 homes.

Plans, which were submitted to the council four years ago, are set to be approved at a meeting tonight.

It’s not news at all?
How many times on here has it been pointed out (I know I have many times) that Homes England are funding the initial stadium development as an enabling project?
I think as it becomes very real it’s just that things that have always been there are getting “air time”?

Why is it temporary?

Does this also mean he now has the funding to build the new Main North Stand with the hotel and conference suite to allow the club to have some decent revenue streams ?
Because the club needs temporary training facilities whilst the new ones in the application are built

It does not say that.

It does say that "Roots Hall Limited will then lease the new stadium and training ground to the football club itself." but then says "Thames Plaza will sell Fossetts phase one to an institutional investor, most likely a pension fund or insurance company"

So it could be SUFC have a lease on the Stadium and Training Complex and the freehold is sold to a pension fund or insurance company who will become our landlord?
No I don’t think that’s what it means
But it’s not stated very clearly

It does not say that.

I think it means RHL will have the element of phase 1 the is stadium and training and lease to the club. It Thames Plaza and not RHL that will sell to an institutional investor - probably this is related to other elements on phase . It not well explained

It’s not news at all?
How many times on here has it been pointed out (I know I have many times) that Homes England are funding the initial stadium development as an enabling project?
I think as it becomes very real it’s just that things that have always been there are getting “air time”?
Well it was in The Echo today, but old news hopefully is good news.

This is good news @Cricko BUT why can't they, the SBC be as open and transparent as they want Ron to be? I have no doubt they want these new homes to " manage" by their private companies AND more importantly they need this project so that the slum flats like Pennine and Quantock can have residents re housed and then the SBC can get on with their next (and larger) building project of proportions to overshadow anything so far; another very high density high rise slum ghetto in the making.
Luckily we have all the infrastructure all ready and waiting for these thousands of new houses.:Whistling:

Well it was in The Echo today, but old news hopefully is good news.
Indeed. Obviously it hasn’t been left till now to finalise funding- it was done months ago. But it’s excellent it’s getting out there and people are realising that this is happening. As far as I’m concerned the Echo can rehash as much positive stuff as they like on the subject!

Luckily we have all the infrastructure all ready and waiting for these thousands of new houses.:Whistling:

Hopefully the majority of these new dwellings will be taken up by local people. Southend is full up and government plans to build another 20000 homes in the area is completely irresponsible. I am sure the local hospital, GP surgeries and schools will be delighted!

Hopefully the majority of these new dwellings will be taken up by local people. Southend is full up and government plans to build another 20000 homes in the area is completely irresponsible. I am sure the local hospital, GP surgeries and schools will be delighted!
Five years ago Southend was the eighth most densely populated town in England. Can only have got worse since and the future looks rather sardine like.

The lease on the stadium to a loss making football club with a history of paying no rent won't be worth much. I'd be surprised if the stadium was sold on to an investor.

Why is it temporary?

Does this also mean he now has the funding to build the new Main North Stand with the hotel and conference suite to allow the club to have some decent revenue streams ?
Boots and Laces is needed for development of the stadium and housing, so need to get it closed ASAP, but Sports England won't agree until a training complex of at least equal size and quality is built. I believe there is already valid planning permission from RDC for 4 pitches to replace the B&L ones, so an application is going in to provide for a temporary training building at least as good as B&L to go alongside it which will remove the Sports England dispute.

Much like the North Stand of the stadium, I believe the plan is for a much superior permanent training complex to then be built on the same spot in a couple of years when there is more money available.

RM said it would be a 25 year lease. He never mentioned how much though.?
This is the bit that is infuriating. Once the developers make their bit the stadium should be SUFC’s for life not a commodity for a here today gone tomorrow ‘entrepreneur’ in it for a buck who the sells on to someone else for their pension fund.

Sounds great and I will be amazed and happy when it all gets started, but in 10 years time it sounds like our stadium will be in the middle of a slum ghetto with drug dealers on every corner, and urban gang warfare as non match day entertainment.

I am not sure the Waitrose shopping clientele are going to be too happy.

It’s not news at all?
I was wondering what I was missing here. This is what was discussed at the November council meeting isn't it? Not sure there's anything new here.

Not quite Creako.
The collapsed sewer in Southend May throw up an issue as there is a sewer pipe running right through the proposed site and pitch. With the sewer collapse the authorities may have to reopen that pipe work.
In order to get the stadium built they may be looking at digging all the pip work up and re-positioning which is gonna cost mega amounts

Sounds great and I will be amazed and happy when it all gets started, but in 10 years time it sounds like our stadium will be in the middle of a slum ghetto with drug dealers on every corner, and urban gang warfare as non match day entertainment.

I am not sure the Waitrose shopping clientele are going to be too happy.

Totally agree, been saying this ever since the last re-design & switch to housing. But I guess it’s the only way the thing was ever going to get built..

Back