• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good point about square pegs in round holes OBL. Yes PB would have got slaughtered for doing just that. Point I meant to put in my brief report was that the pitch was perfect for pacy wide players, Mc Glashan would have been suited to use his speed today !
PB would have been crucified for playing square pegs in round holes and losing 4-0. Woody is not a wide left midfielder, if SCP wants to keep Mantom in, then please do Woody the courtesy of dropping him to the bench. We have left wingers or right wingers who can "cut in". I struggle to see what McGlashan had done to be so spectacularly out of favour, but Woody is our most creative midfielder left so play him in the middle!

CP will learn as much from these defeats as he will from the wins. No surprise we lost today as we have struggled away all season and the tone was set under PB, but this group of players seem unable to shake it off. Result was poor, but we have done enough to steady the ship and will pick up enough points at home to stay up comfortably. CP needs to try different players, different systems and different formations to understand where he needs to improve the squad and who should stay and who should go, I'm certain he already probably knows those answers. From our persoective, no need to over react, 2 defeats in 11 I think is not a bad return. I renewed my ST ticket today and picking up my tickets for Blackburn and Oxford tomorrow, keep the faith fellow shrimpers

PB would have got crucified for this. But then SCP has won 5 of his last 10 games, the kind of form which PB came nowhere near achieving this season. Got a few too many coasters and homers in this squad that we need to move on in the summer. More pressing though, let's get a result against Gillingham.

Woe

Many years ago I saw us fall apart at Carlisle, and lose 0-5. A bit of me regrets that Plymouth didn't get another one thus giving me the win double (I suppose that's not the proper term) of seeing us lose 0-5 at both ends of the country. If I am honest however, it should have been more than five.

The day had been fine. A straightforward journey down on the TZ coaches saw us enconsed in a real ale pub near the ground by 12:30. Sadly, downhill rapidly once we got to the ground. An over fussy turnstyle operator delayed everyone getting in and this left some outside at kick off for no fault of their own.

The first goal came after just three minutes. Basically, they passed around a static defence - much like Rotherham did earlier in the season. We held our own for bit, without doing a great deal. Wordsworth whizzed a shot wide but that was it. Then they got a second. A bit fortunate with the deflection, but it pretty much killed the game as far as the result went.

There were shouts for a red card after Turner went down holding his face. Despite it being right in front of me, I wasn't watching, so no further comment on that. I do know our players weren't happy with just a yellow. Even if they had lost a man, we still wouldn't have got any points.

Second half saw the ball mainly at the other end. The third looked a decent finished into the corner. It went quiet for a bit as they seemed to settle for three and we did nothing much. They did have one off the line and got a penalty which they missed. They then hit a post. The fourth was a comedy of errors from our defence that simply disappeared.

We did little and few come out of that with any credit. It really should have been seven, we deserved it to be seven, they were better than us, and this was no better than what was being served up in the last weeks of Phil Brown's regin.

Positives.... (and I am struggling here)

Kightly, came on, looked fit, was our only really threat at any point
Cox, worked his nuts off for absolutely no benefit whatsoever
It wasn't as bad as Bristol Rovers

Negatives
You know, I could write War & Peace here today. Others can mention individuals, but there was so much bad stuff going on it's wrong to pick on just a couple. OBL mentions square holes and pegs, and she is right - not sure why we are playing a loanee who wont be here next season over a more than decent player who is "playing for his contract" who is left out wide not knowing what to do.

What is clear is that SCP needs a clear out in the summer. He needs his own players, playing his system. What worries me is that the three players he has brought in, two of them aren't starting and the other wont be here next season.

Fantastic support long journey that glad I got it off my grounds t do list!!! Who would go to Plymouth in a mini bus?!! Lol

PB would have got crucified for this. But then SCP has won 5 of his last 10 games, the kind of form which PB came nowhere near achieving this season.

Just a small point of order. We won 5 games out of 8 in September/October 'Nzamba'.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there, didn’t see it, haven’t seen the goals. But how the bi00dy hell did Wordsworth get selected after his last performance let alone being in the wrong position!:omg:

An over fussy turnstyle operator delayed everyone getting in and this left some outside at kick off for no fault of their own.

You know, I could write War & Peace here today. Others can mention individuals, but there was so much bad stuff going on it's wrong to pick on just a couple. OBL mentions square holes and pegs, and she is right - not sure why we are playing a loanee who wont be here next season over a more than decent player who is "playing for his contract" who is left out wide not knowing what to do.

What is clear is that SCP needs a clear out in the summer. He needs his own players, playing his system. What worries me is that the three players he has brought in, two of them aren't starting and the other wont be here next season.

Would be interested to hear about the "over fussy turnstyle operator", if you want to drop me a pm?

Thank you for agreeing with me, I think Powell likes him but I'm getting cheesed off at people slagging Woody off when it's quite clearly not working playing him where Powell is. In the middle please! Does anyone honestly have any idea what has happened with McGlashan?

The summer clear out will be interesting, I haven't been terribly impressed with what's come in so far and I can't say that I think Mantom is better than Timlin or an on form Woody. Creativity has been pretty much stifled lately and we can't keep playing the way we are....or maybe it's a ploy to put the Charlton rumours to bed, lol?!

A display every bit as bad as the debacle at Rotherham early in the season. The initial new manager bounce has long since worn off and hopefully CP can now see with his own eyes what has been obvious all along.
Lack of character, grit, determination, call it what you like, but when we go a goal down, it's over.
Oxley is a superb shot stopper, but does not command his area, thus the back four is forever being pushed deeper and deeper.
Demetriou is awful defensively, so often caught unawares and out of position. His attacking qualities are another matter.
White is a useful squad player but should not be a regular starter, too many loose clearances and lack of pace and awareness.
Turner has been impressive in the main but needs a younger, more mobile partner, Kyprianou maybe.
Coker, a disappointment since his return. Seems to lack ideas and uncomfortable on the ball.
Midfield lacks creativity. Wordsworth and Kightly are luxuries we cannot afford, we need solid, consistent, 40 games a season players.Yearwood looks to have the ability to pick a pass but the best is yet to come. McLaughlin doesn't do enough, can't see the point of Wright, Scunthorpe will presumably want Mantom back and Timlin is past his best.
Fortune and Cox, for all their undoubted qualities are probably statistically the least productive pair of strikers in the division. Robinson not the answer, Harrison and Ladapo seemingly written off already, Wabo wasting his time not playing at Ebbsfleet and Ba not even a speck on the horizon.
A major rebuild is clearly desirable in the summer but probably won't be possible to move everyone on. It is difficult to see much to be enthusiastic about at the moment. I was not one of those who hailed the return of the messiah when Powell was appointed and remain to be convinced longterm but he has probably got as much out of these players as anyone could, resulting in likely lower mid table mediocrity being about the best we can hope for without significant changes for next season.

It prob wouldn’t have made much difference,but they should have been playing the entire 2nd half with 10 men.If the ref deemed the elbow into Turners face deliberate(the Lino waved his flag immediately)it had to be red.

Would anyone be against pushing Jason Demitirou further forward? He certainly has attacking qualities and an eye for a goal and like many have said, his defensive abilities and positioning can be questioned. Also, wasn’t he more of a winger during his Orient days?

I won’t bother with too many comments-the marks will be self-evident.Suffice to point out that I did say on Thursday we should start with 2 proper centre-backs i e.play Ferdinand and Kightly wide left:
Ox. 7 one stupendous save ,totally blameless for the goals
Demi 6
Turner 6
White 3 three!
Coker 5

Mc L 6
Mantom 7
Dru 5. one good shot,but nothing came off for him today
Words 4. good player,but should have been a sub

MAF 6
Cox 5

subs:
Kightly 6
Wright. 6
Robnson 3. Only contribution was to miscontrol when standing on his own near the penalty spot

Wasn’t there, didn’t see it, haven’t seen the goals. But how the bi00dy hell did Wordsworth get selected after his last performance let alone being in the wrong position!:omg:

im not a Powell fan, nice bloke but ( I wanted the Cowley Brothers) powel said in the echo, Wordsworth should have played in the premiership, so these are his views. Not for me

I suppose the result was what should have been expected - it sounded all too easy though.

No one has scored fewer goals away from home than us and now no one conceded more. Only Bury have fewer points away from home than us.

Go a goal behind and that's it - it's been the same all season.

The last five goals we have scored - Fortune -knocked in a rebound off the post from a free kick, two penalties, a wicked deflection at Scunthorpe and a long shot at MK Dons that the keeper should have saved. That takes us back 14 games to Walsall when Cox scored from close range.

16 goals scored away from home in league and cup in 22 games so far and 7 of those came against 10 man Fleetwood and crappy Gillingham - leaving nine goals in twenty. My heart goes out to all those who travel away week in and week out - it must be so depressing - it's bad enough listening in the warm. At least it's not quite as bad as 1965/66 when we won 1 and drew 3 losing 19 scoring 11 and conceding 55 and got relegated.

In hindsight, we may think that our awful pitch put so many of the better sides off that we picked up enough points (20 so far from the top 10 sides with Bristol R still to play) compared to 3 points away from home (with Blackburn to play) to stay up.

Blackburn will be worried (or not).

I hope there is enough budget available to get some new blood in - we need it.

Get rid of wordsworth! No desire,no effort and is a lazy overatted player! Need to get rid asap!!

I think what ****es me off is after the standard new manager wins CP was coming out with “that’s what you can expect from a Chris Powell team” blah blah blah

Turns out he is struggling to motivate this bunch as much as anyone.

Big summer for him and needs a good first couple of months for next season...or I’d look elsewhere.

Back