• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Port Forwarding

MK Shrimper

Striker
Hey people, I know there's some tech-savvy people out there.

I'm trying to open a port on my router and not having much luck - for Utorrent and also I seem to have issues with ANY form of IM and I'm thinking this is the problem.

Any ideas?

I wouldnt use UPNP as its not espically safe . Windows generally has most ports open by default (tis a nightmare) , so just checking on your router (propably in firewall exceptions part) then on your pc would be your best bet ?

Hmm, I always seem to have problems with IM of anykind - MSN, Yahoo etc. Put it down to this.

If you're still struggling let me know what router you have and what firewall software you're using and I'll see what I can do.

If you've tried opening the port, have you checked your firewall's security logs to see whether any traffic is reaching, and being intercepted by, the firewall on that port?

Router is a Netgear MR814v2 and I'm just using the standard Windows Firewall (Vista).

Did you follow the instructions here? If you did could you post a screencap of the settings page for the router where you've tried to open the port, and for your 'Connections' settings in uTorrent?

I did mate but uTorrent indicated that the port was still shut.

A couple of other things:

Have you set up a static IP address for your computer on your local network?

Depending on how your network is configured, and who your ISP is, it might not be a router problem. If you have a router connected to a modem, then the modem could be the problem, so it might be worth connecting directly to that to check the settings.

Alternatively, it could be that your ISP is throttling traffic on ports used for P2P. You should be able to find out their throttling policy on their website, or there may be posts complaining (justifiably) about it on various web forums.

Back