• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game.

I wondered if one or more of you (up to a maximum of 3 due to space constraints) have a few minutes and would kindly be prepared to share a few views / your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)?
4. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?
5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team?
6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team?
7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?
8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?
9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect your away following to be?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Wigan fans from a game with them;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/09/wigan-fans-the-jurys-out-on-manager-gary-caldwell/

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Wednesday and the report will appear on our website prior to the fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP

Anybody like to take part?

I like to give others the opportunity but seeing as it's looking a bit rude on our part with no-one replying, here are my answers:

1. Been supporting the club for almost 45 years since my dad first brought me along, sat or stood, in every stand at some point. Currently helping to run the club's Junior Blues on behalf of the supporters' Trust - The Shrimpers Trust, of which I'm a board member.
2. I'm always optimistic and I think we'll finish up just in or out of the Play-Offs. We could be on for a slow start as we're still missing some key positions - including centre backs.
3. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea and he sometimes makes some odd decisions/substitutions, but I quite like him. He's definitely charismatic and he keeps our club in the media eye as a result of his media work, particularly on Sky. We've made some good signings, particularly Simon Cox, and Nile Ranger could be a very interesting one if things work out. Don't think Ranger is fit enough to feature yet. Stephen McLaughlin is probably our biggest threat at this moment in time.
4. Our chairman has been pursuing the dream of a new ground for what seems an eternity. Again, similarly to the attitude towards Brown, there are plenty that have little time for him, however, you have to ask, who else would we be an attractive investment to? We have an excellent Academy which I know our chairman supports 100% and you have to give him some credit for that.
5. Our two mascots, Sammy Shrimp and Elvis J Eel take an awful lot of stick but they're an important part of our team. Sammy memorably took out the Colchester mascot in a mascot race one time so for that he'll always be a legend with the fans! Talking of legends, I think Southend are still the only English club with a 100% win record against Manchester United, beating them 1-0 on Sir Alex Ferguson's 20th anniversary with a faultless Freddy Eastwood free kick. We also hosted the farewell party of retiring legend Shaun Goater, which coincided with us winning the L1 title, lots of Manchester City fans joined in our beach party celebrations.
6. ShrimperZone is the only forum of note, you can view as a guest but need to join to comment. We generally welcome opposing team supporters as long as they're reasonable. Our fanzine is "All at Sea", I know they were trying to get an online version going but not sure if they've done so yet, there are a few past copies on t'internet.
7. Honestly? I have no idea. Mid-table probably, there are definitely worse teams in the league.
8. I remember playing at Roots Hall start of the season 2010/11, Paul Sturrock had not long taken over as our manager and our team was almost entirely new in that summer. We'd got Luke Prosser, who was one of your former players, and I don't know what went on with him that game, but the poor lad had an absolute mare and we lost 3-1. Took him ages to get his confidence back, but he did, and proved to be a very solid player who put his body on the line many a time.
9. I think this will be a draw, 1-1. You do still have Anthony Grant on your books, if he plays he'll get a great reception from our supporters and I wouldn't put it past him to score! I think Cox for us. We'll have a pretty decent away following, first match of the season, I'd reckon around 700 or so.

There you go, hope that's ok!

Last edited:
Anybody like to take part?

No thanks. I did last season and you never bothered replying.

By the way I sat in your main stand upper tier last season and had to put up with plenty of abuse from some Friday night wannabes who had hired a box just along from us. Didn't bother me or the lad I was with as we've both seen far worse but the 2 young teenage girls next to us were made to feel very uncomfortable. Needless to say you won't be getting any of my money this season.

Think both forgor to mention our main scoring threat will be Mooney if he can get the ball at his feet a foot from the goal with no one within 10 metres of him including the goal keeper, the goalkeeper seems to scare him and he gives it to himso as not to upset him .....just kidding ?

As I'm going to the match:

My first match was in 1997 but I started going regularly with my brother in the 2000/2001 season. Having grown up in Essex I actually live in Cheshire now so this is a local one for me, and these days I go to more away games than home.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?

Our form at the end of last season was dire (lost seven of our last ten matches) and we lost our two best players over the summer. Some of our summer signings have given me a bit more hope but I think we'll be at the lower end of the table. If I had to make a prediction I'd say somewhere around the 17th/18th mark.

3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)?

The club's in a better state than when he took over but he's not too popular at the moment as he keeps touting himself for other jobs in the media. We're not a club that sacks the manager every year but if our poor form from last season carries over I think the fans will get on his back quickly and I would put money on him not being our manager come the end of the season. He's made some good signings - Simon Cox was a bit of a coup and we are in talks to sign Jay Simpson from Orient which would be a great signing (he may well have signed by Saturday). If we can a big strong centre-back in I'll be pretty happy with our transfer business. In terms of danger men, our left winger Stephen McLaughlin had a good pre-season and scored on the opening day.

Having had a lot of financial problems around the time we got relegated to League Two in 2010, things appear to have stabilised in recent years - we have fewer winding-up orders from HMRC anyway! We'll be getting a decent amount of money from Bentley and Payne who left in the summer, and our academy is producing some good young players. Still no sign of this new stadium, though...

5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team?

We're the only English club with a 100% record against Manchester United.

The highest ever attendance at Roots Hall is 31,000 for an FA Cup tie against Liverpool in 1979 - God knows how they fitted that many people in!

6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team?

ShrimperZone is the one.

You've got a foreign manager and a lot of foreign players with no experience of English football so I think you'll be at the lower end of the table with us, but it's hard to say at this stage. Typically foreign players struggle to get to grips with the lower leagues. You beat us easily at Vale Park last season but your team's changed quite a lot since then. Keeping Anthony Grant will help - he's a very popular former player of ours.

Can't think of one to be honest. Last season was my first trip to Vale Park - this one can't be much worse!

9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect your away following to be?

Our defence is a bit shaky at the moment so I certainly think there'll be goals. I'm going to be optimistic and say 2-1 to us - with Jay Simpson possibly getting a debut goal. Our away support is pretty good and with it being the first away game of the season, I'd expect a following of 5-600.

The name's Joe Rutter, but would prefer not to have my ugly mug on your website, thanks.

I'll do the last one!

Been supporting since 83, used to be on the Trust committee, now an Exile in Kent.

Just outside the playoffs, a slow start, a good middle followed by an agonising end.

I think he's OK- very impressed if we can harness the obvious talents of Ranger, and Demetriou looks a class act. Watch out for McLaughlin if he's on form, his crosses are pinpoint.

We've had worse directors - but we're beset by irregular cashflow, debts, and an owner who is putting all his eggs in the stadium redevelopment basket

We once had the largest supporters club in the country
Former striker Roy McDonough not only can down a pint whilst doing a handstand, but also holds the record for being sent off the most times in a career
The US band Odyssey were big Southend fans, and even wrote a song about the ground, "Going Back to my Roots"

Shrimperzone and we've got a great twitter following

about the same as us - close to the playoffs

Don't know!
9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect your away following to be

1-1 with 600 shrimpers attending.

Smashing replies guys many thanks, I will create as an article and it will appear on our site on Friday or Saturday morning.

No thanks. I did last season and you never bothered replying.

By the way I sat in your main stand upper tier last season and had to put up with plenty of abuse from some Friday night wannabes who had hired a box just along from us. Didn't bother me or the lad I was with as we've both seen far worse but the 2 young teenage girls next to us were made to feel very uncomfortable. Needless to say you won't be getting any of my money this season.

We do indeed have some absolute scumbags and knuckle draggers who sadly love to associate themselves with our club who seemingly love abusing women, people of different skin colour and throwing bricks at away coaches. It does seem to be agreed that a lot of these are mid 40's and clearly have never enjoyed nor don't intend to enjoy civil life sadly. That said its a football problem rather than just a one club problem given that football has a sad habit of attracting such people and we all need to work together to oust this filth from the game for everyone's benefit long term.

Sincere apologies Rigsby, I did submit your views to our editor but I'm afraid I think from memory he was away and it seems the article never went live.

If you would like to take part for the return leg I will ensure you take the prime spot!

For those of you interested in previous Southend articles we have created please see the following link;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/?s=southend+opposing+views

Supported SUFC since 78, mostly home matches, but also the odd away game, including ending up in the West Ham end at an away match, not sure how it happened but we'd been to the pub and didn't really care! Briefly a season ticket holder during the 90s, to rare outings when my kids were young. Back at Roots Hall regularly, but not with the kids as they hate football!
2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)
Despite our poor result on Saturday I expect top 10 finish.
Phil Brown is a bit of a character, and I expect a few ups and downs again this season. Signings we have made have been pleasing, especially Cox, and Ranger if he can behave himself. Really need another 3 players in, inc. CB and CM if we're going to push for the playoffs.
The stadium saga has been rolling on for decades, possibly light at the end of the tunnel, but who really knows. chairman is a bit of a maverick, and likes to wind up the Taxman, so nothing surprises me nowadays.
Apparently Justin Beeber is a Southend fan, you can google that one. Other famous fan, who used to be seen at Roots Hall regularly is Alison Moyet. Oh, and Mo Farah's cousin plays for our Youth Team.
Shrimperzone is where is all happens, you can find a wide opinion on any subject.
Mid Table?
Pass...
2-1 (to Southend of course !)
Should get around 350 up there...

Back