• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
After an uncharacteristically poor showing from Dean Whitestone last week, we will all be hoping for something better this week.

The man in charge on Saturday is Nigel Miller, from Durham, the oldest referee on the League List.

He is the referee who did us absolutely no favours at all when he did the 2012/13 Wembley Paint Final against Crewe in front of 43,842 spectators. There were a number of perverse decisions that day - and I don't just mean Phil Brown's team selection! Two cautions apiece - ours went to Hurst and Barker.

We haven't had him since that day nearly four years ago.

This is his fourteenth season as a League referee and this will be his tenth Southend match, but only his third at Roots Hall. We haven't actually won any of his away matches although we nearly did at Luton, on TV, when Eastwood hit the post near the end in 2006/7 (no cards). He also did the Southampton away end of season hammering that year when he booked Macca. These away games were sandwiched between two League defeats at Donny (2003/4 and 2007/8, no cards and just one for Leon Clarke respectively)).

The first home game he did, we actually won against Oldham in 2005/6, with the only yellow going to the visitors. The other home match was the 1-1 draw with Leeds the following year, when Healy scored a very late equaliser for them. They might have got an undeserved away victory in injury time when Francis handled but Miller turned down the penalty appeal. Their management team of Wise and Poyet were not best pleased. Lee Bradbury was our yellow to their three.

A more recent Southend League match was the away televised fiasco on the beach at Colchester, seven years ago. He didn't do much wrong, unlike Adam Barrett and their groundsman. Laurent for us and Izzet for them picked up yellows.

And finally his penultimate Southend match to date was the 0-0 draw at Preston (managed by Phil Brown) in the Cup in 2011/12. Just two yellows to the home team (one for Phil's mate Ian Ashbee).

These 9 matches only accrued just 16 yellow cards between them.

This is typical of his low card count over recent years, his 29 matches this season bringing just a very low 59 yellows (but a high-ish 6 reds !)

Assistants are Ian Rathbone from the whimsically named Semilong in Northamptonshire and Matthew Lee from West Sussex . Darren Blunden from Dartford will be in charge of the numbers board.

Last edited:
Cheers Mick....so a homer who will let everything go - that will do me!

Lets just hope for once we aren't talking about officials after the game. I'm absolutely sick of it...
I've been in a bad mood all week on the back of saturday's debacle.. Whilst we weren't very good in the first half, we were infinitely better than the prats in black.

From what I can remember, he was poor at the JPT final.

The free kick that lead to Crewe's second goal was wrongly given...or something along those lines? I could be wrong...

From what I can remember, he was poor at the JPT final.

The free kick that lead to Crewe's second goal was wrongly given...or something along those lines? I could be wrong...

I'm sure I did mention that.

(I think there was a blatant push on Mohsni not given in the build-up.)

The guy is 56! Will he be the oldest ref to have ever refereed us?

Refereed by plod (retired plod) two weeks running. ( Do you think they are keeping an eye on Nile?)

What way are we going to be screwed by the ref this week then?

Our friend Dean Whitestone from last week is refereeing Bolton v Wimbledon

I'm sure I did mention that.

(I think there was a blatant push on Mohsni not given in the build-up.)

Certainly was.

He also disallowed an Orient goal at Leeds when it clearly crossed the line.

He's a t****r.

Certainly was.

He also disallowed an Orient goal at Leeds when it clearly crossed the line.

He's a t****r.

Wow ..... I'm surprised you're one to harbour a grudge about a bit of Orient deprivation for nigh on 10 years. Wayne Gray (and Mkandawire) played in that match.

Wow ..... I'm surprised you're one to harbour a grudge about a bit of Orient deprivation for nigh on 10 years. Wayne Gray (and Mkandawire) played in that match.

It was daylight robbery - literally.

Can we put in a request to the football league never to have this muppet again? In the jpt final he gave Crewe well over 10 free kicks and we had 2 all game.

Today we had 3 and Vale had 13.

He clearly is biased against us.

Can we put in a request to the football league never to have this muppet again? In the jpt final he gave Crewe well over 10 free kicks and we had 2 all game.

Today we had 3 and Vale had 13.

He clearly is biased against us.

Not to mention the number of free kicks he didn't give for them because he was playing advantage!

Back