• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Positive coronavirus test stops Southend United completing deal for League Two midfielder

Read on Twitter (just from a random person so can't verify accuracy) that its a player from Crawley that MM knows from previous jobs - Sam Matthews fits that bill, former Bournemouth youngster.

Started 55% of games this year so perhaps not 'out of favour' however.

No inside knowledge, just speculation from info I've seen.
Mark Wright making a sensational return

Mark Wright making a sensational return
Would prefer him to his brother , but I'm in the camp that thinks all he's done is taken an up and coming kids place by using his cleb status for a planned little documentary - probably in an attempt for more tv time. Bourne out by the fact he's appearing on everything at the mo! Even sunday brunch next week. I Thought I heard his few minutes appearance against Leeds was for the documentary. If so, it's just supporting what I mean. The manager could have put a youngster on for experience

I think it is a fair question, but maybe could have been asked a bit better.

Just because he has COVID doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t sign him, we do after all sign players who are currently injured.

That said, we probably don’t know the full picture.

Indeed, but it is a risk. (Even apart from the practical side of how to conduct a medical, for example.)

There are some players (can't remember their names) that have been out for a fairly long time because of Covid. Could you imagine the backlash the club would face if they signed someone who ended up not being able to play for a few months?

My issue is that this is only one player. We need more than that, so what's happening with the cavalry?

So are we chasing an ‘old boy’ or a youngster , seem to be our only choice of signing lately, so which is it to be?

Makes sense because if your not desperate for your first or last chance why would you sign for us?

Makes sense because if your not desperate for your first or last chance why would you sign for us?
Do you mean to say that any player in their prime, not desperate for a move, wouldn't want to play for a club with a reputation of not paying players on time?!

Do you mean to say that any player in their prime, not desperate for a move, wouldn't want to play for a club with a reputation of not paying players on time?!

They might not fancy the second rate accommodation as the club never paid their bills at the decent ones. Or maybe their agent is the sort that also wants to be paid, or their families don't fancy a season in the black seats. Listening to abuse and the queue for half time cuppa......Even Dagenham have their own players and family bar where they can all eat after. I have been in there with a family and their bonding and chatting with Peter Taylor etc. Made me realise how important that side of it is.

Having said all that any young wife would surely be persuaded over any doubts as she zig zags through the pot holes of RH.......She looks up and sees the Pram Shop opposite..Says a lot about our town

They might not fancy the second rate accommodation as the club never paid their bills at the decent ones. Or maybe their agent is the sort that also wants to be paid, or their families don't fancy a season in the black seats. Listening to abuse and the queue for half time cuppa......Even Dagenham have their own players and family bar where they can all eat after. I have been in there with a family and their bonding and chatting with Peter Taylor etc. Made me realise how important that side of it is.

Having said all that any young wife would surely be persuaded over any doubts as she zig zags through the pot holes of RH.......She looks up and sees the Pram Shop opposite..Says a lot about our town

Nothing wrong with the pram shop.

Have used it for two generations.

Excellent local business.

Nothing wrong with the pram shop.

Have used it for two generations.

Excellent local business.

You sound like a bit of a player :Winking:

I'm sure they are great it does look a bit dated though. Rather like RH and that part of town. There was a reason PB took them to the Roslin and had the signing photo on the beach

You sound like a bit of a player :Winking:

I'm sure they are great it does look a bit dated though. Rather like RH and that part of town. There was a reason PB took them to the Roslin and had the signing photo on the beach

Children and grandchildren rather than children and children........

You only have to look at the likes of Allan Saint-Maximin or Lascelles of Newcastle to see the effects that COVID can have on professional athletes. If it turned out we signed a player that developed 'long COVID', they could be left unable to play for months which we can't afford.

"It's frightening when you think they are young and fit and absolutely supreme athletes.

They go for a walk for half an hour and then they want to go back to bed. It's as brutal as that."

He added: "The fatigue is the one thing that has hit them all. For two of them, it's beyond that. We hope there's light at the end of the tunnel, but some are finding it a struggle."

It does not say this player has COVID, it says he has tested positive for it. Big difference. I am assuming that it has just been delayed for a few days as like around 80% of the people that test positive for COVID he may have zero or very very mild symptoms.

If that's the case then give it 5 or 6 days, then sign him.

Read on Twitter (just from a random person so can't verify accuracy) that its a player from Crawley that MM knows from previous jobs - Sam Matthews fits that bill, former Bournemouth youngster.

Started 55% of games this year so perhaps not 'out of favour' however.

No inside knowledge, just speculation from info I've seen.

Got a feeling it’s Nathan Ferguson from Crawley. If a spanner’s been thrown in the works due to a positive COVID test, I would’ve thought it’s likely to be one of the Crawley five. Ferguson doesn’t look to have been involved a lot lately and is fairly local - born in Walthamstow and played for the Daggers, Chelmsford, Billericay and Grays. Don‘t know much about him but know a few posters on here were saying he’d be a good signings for us a few years back?

Did look at Matthews too but looks like he’s been involved quite regularly for them recently.

Got a feeling it’s Nathan Ferguson from Crawley. If a spanner’s been thrown in the works due to a positive COVID test, I would’ve thought it’s likely to be one of the Crawley five. Ferguson doesn’t look to have been involved a lot lately and is fairly local - born in Walthamstow and played for the Daggers, Chelmsford, Billericay and Grays. Don‘t know much about him but know a few posters on here were saying he’d be a good signings for us a few years back?

Did look at Matthews too but looks like he’s been involved quite regularly for them recently.
Isnt Nathan Ferguson suppost to be quite good ?

Sam Matthews earned rave reviews for them against Leeds recently, so I’m pretty certain it won’t be him.

Back