• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powel, Benjamin...black English players

Napster

No ⭐
Read a bit of the new book on black players in English football, written by Iffy Onuora's brother.

Some snippets

Ian Benjamin and his brother, Tristan, were local heroes growing up in Nottingham, and a lot of black players hailed from there to being with.
Chris Powell only came here on the recommendation of Andy Ansah
Powell almost moved to Spurs, but the move was kiboshed when they spent all their budget on Klinsmann
Powell also also went to Man City at the same time, but again nothing happened

There's a huge section on Powell and his time in football - there's also bits on Jason Lee, Stan the Man...

I suspect I was (and still am) naive enough to believe that a manager will put his best XI out on a Saturday for the benefit of the club, the fans and their own job. I never gave a toss about any player's skin colour (although some hair styles have been highly questionable).

I imagine that there is more to the situation than I (or most fans) knew about at the time but I can honestly say that I had no idea that there would be a racism element to players developing their career (either then or now).

And I find it a bit odd that the number of black players in a league (and our own team) seems to fluctuate so much - in the last few seasons we have on occasion put out teams without a single black player and yet I seem to remember when more than half the team were black.

Read a bit of the new book on black players in English football, written by Iffy Onuora's brother.

Some snippets

Ian Benjamin and his brother, Tristan, were local heroes growing up in Nottingham, and a lot of black players hailed from there to being with.
Chris Powell only came here on the recommendation of Andy Ansah
Powell almost moved to Spurs, but the move was kiboshed when they spent all their budget on Klinsmann
Powell also also went to Man City at the same time, but again nothing happened

There's a huge section on Powell and his time in football - there's also bits on Jason Lee, Stan the Man...

Naps - don't mean to sound rude but has Barna been giving you English lessons?

On that same subject, I was just reading the following story that involved Ian Benjamin. Good to see a current photo of him. I honestly think that sport has been one of the main factors in breaking down racism - and I can actually remember when that game was played.

Thank heavens for what progress has been made so far!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37924448

Brilliant photo - fabulous hair styles as well.

I can't imagine that having a "black v white" game would be considered acceptable today either!

I recognise a number of the players but not all - do you have a list of the remainder?

It's a photo from the article Tampa linked to and there's a full list there.

Back row, left to right: Ian Benjamin, Vernon Hodgson, Brendon Batson, Derek Richardson, Stewart Phillips, George Berry, Bob Hazell, Garth Crooks. Front row: Winston White, Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham, Remi Moses, Valmore Thomas

Wow I've just read that article before coming on here and finding others beat me to it.

I want a bit of honest hands up here. Mine starts the list. How many used to join the chants of Southend are white back in the day?

1 Mel Capleton
2 Chris Ramsey
3 Chris Powell
4 Keith Jones
5 ? M'Voto
6 Keith Dublin
7 Andy ansah
8 Jean Christophe
9 Stan Collymore
10 Ian Benjamin
11 Ricky Otto

1 Mel Capleton
2 Chris Ramsey
3 Chris Powell
4 Keith Jones
5 ? M'Voto
6 Keith Dublin
7 Andy ansah
8 Jean Christophe
9 Stan Collymore
10 Ian Benjamin
11 Ricky Otto

Interesting - how many black central defenders have we had?

* I know Hunt played there a couple of times as cover but it wasn't his natural position.

On that same subject, I was just reading the following story that involved Ian Benjamin. Good to see a current photo of him. I honestly think that sport has been one of the main factors in breaking down racism - and I can actually remember when that game was played.

Thank heavens for what progress has been made so far!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37924448

As a youngster in the 80s, having Cadette, Benjamin, Powell, Ansah etc as genuine heroes and seen for their football ability and service to club seemed normal to me so you are probably right to some extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leon Cort, Anton Ferdinand.... Central defenders... Or have I misunderstood the question

David Howell, of marking Batistuta and being illegally poached by Birmingham City infamy.

I think he would also have been our first (and only?) black coach.

Back