• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleighboy

Schoolboy
So having just given up my Arsenal season ticket to come support the Blues I was thinking about the differences between the two leagues. Having seen both Arsenal and Southend home and away over the past few years 3 things in League 2s favour spring to mind straight away:

• Parking away at League 2 is so much easier!!
  • Fans relationships with players so much better in League 2 (autographs, chats before and after games etc)
  • Mixing with away fans in League 2 without much fear of a punch in the face!!

I should have seen the League 2 light earlier, still I'm here now!!

Any other differences in favour of League 2 over Premiership out there???

The top flight of english football is now a rancid corporate affair that makes me sick. Priced out the working class people where the roots of any club gors back to. Tons of foriegn players meaning local lads that in the past may have been given a chance now get zero opportunities. Seriously....no interest in the top flight anymore. I understand man city are playing Newcastle at the weekend...one maybe two english players on show. ....how can connections form between these overpaid mercenaries and the locals on the terraces.

I agree with leeblue. Plus no rolling around like their leg has been torn off by a hungry bear.

However, with foreign owners pouring money into the Prem, it's good for the economy. A player on £100,000 a week will pay £50,000 a week in tax (near enough) and 20% VAT on most that he spends (roughly). So that's about £65,000 a week into our treasury, not somewhere abroad.

Multiply that up by the number of players that would apply to...K'CHING!

I agree with leeblue. Plus no rolling around like their leg has been torn off by a hungry bear.

However, with foreign owners pouring money into the Prem, it's good for the economy. A player on £100,000 a week will pay £50,000 a week in tax (near enough) and 20% VAT on most that he spends (roughly). So that's about £65,000 a week into our treasury, not somewhere abroad.

Multiply that up by the number of players that would apply to...K'CHING!

Anyone with money like that will have a very god accountant and therefore would pay very little tax I'm afraid

The biggest thing for me is that you can afford to get in. I'm of the generation that supported their local club, which for me was Southend, not a team you see on TV every week but never see live.

League 2 > Premier League

_42289668_southend_pa.jpg

Yes I know we were in the Championship then but my point still stands!

The top flight of english football is now a rancid corporate affair that makes me sick. Priced out the working class people where the roots of any club gors back to. Tons of foriegn players meaning local lads that in the past may have been given a chance now get zero opportunities. Seriously....no interest in the top flight anymore. I understand man city are playing Newcastle at the weekend...one maybe two english players on show. ....how can connections form between these overpaid mercenaries and the locals on the terraces.

Didn't seem to worry too many when we had French,Belgium and other nationalities playing in Championship and League One under Tilson?

The only difference to me is "can I afford to watch my team". If my whole life I had been a died hard arsenal fan and I could still afford to watch them then there is no difference as far as I am concerned . I am a person that believes that you support the local to you and that support does not waiver. I work with an Orient die hard, a West Ham die hard and a Spurs die hard. We all respect each other because we support the clubs that we have our whole lives. Money is an easy thing to throw at the premiership, but we can say that we are all to blame to feed this animal. We either have sky, or drink in pubs that have to show premier league. We have either now or in the past bough a premier league kit, either for personal choice or as a present. Football is a commercial monster, but that aside, I've always been Southend and always will be. Even if a sheik from Qatar bought us and threw enough money at us to win all the trophies in the world !

If you are a Southend season ticket holder and you draw a big club away in the cup you can get a ticket. Arsenal season ticket holders will have to have their names put in a hat. Even worse for finals - you could go to every game home and away and still not be able to see a cup final and miss your team winning silverware - must be very frustrating.

League Two is a hell hole of a division with no redeeming features. It is why we're always so desperate to get promoted.

Footballers base wages are taxed using the same system as everyone else
Agreed but a good accountant will know of ways to claim for many things which is why footballers get themselves treated as self employed/companies; for example their cars are on lease schemes so the tax and depreciation are written down against the profit (pay): and that is just a simple, legitimate saving. The days of the Fatty Evens type pay in a brown bag are gone, mostly, and more astute and well advised agents can earn their players the bonuses that come with knowledge.

No I'm not comparing at all but if we had the resources, we would do exactly the same and the fans would LOVE it.
Nothing wrong with the occasional, odd John Foreigner, or Bilel, but The Mancs and Premshite in general, have IMO, and that of most ( I believe) lost touch with their fans and are destroying English football in the top leagues.

I posted this article from the Independent in the 'General football forum' so I'm not quite sure how many people read it. For myself, I don't look there that often and the great majority of my time is spent on 'Shrimper chit-chat.' I thought the article merited wider coverage and it's certainly not irrelevant to this thread..........apologies to those who have already seen it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...n-9659441.html

Where we are today with the disparity between the top and bottom has been on the cards ever since the premiershite separated from the football league. Great to watch but the overall experience is one of corporation and customer. The prem is a soulless state monopolised by the few huge clubs. As a Shrimper I feel support has a value not just what I spend.

excellent article,I wonder if oneday all the lower league clubs will say enough is enough and truly break away from the premiershite and the FA and form their own association.Its not as daft as it may seem,if 50 of the 92 league clubs broke away and all the non league ,conference etc followed them, because no matter what all those clubs supporters would also follow.Yes for a while they would be out in the cold as it were ,but eventually it would be the FA and premiershite that would be the losers.All it needs is good organisation.

A good write up; especially with the author identifying the going to football can be an addictive habit which many younger people don't understand or participate in from their armchairs and sports direct shopping trips.

Back