• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion

I know, thats why I'm all for them but the play-offs do have their disadvantages as well as there advantages.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 13 2005,16:24)]I say Panic.

Who needs the stress of the playoffs when automatic promotion is there for the taking.

3 points this Saturday is a must.
But we look so at home at Cardiff
wink.gif

Let finish in top 4 then, whoever finish there alway go up - so let help the team to bounce back from Boston game by getting behind them Vs Notts County tomorrow.

The way I see it if we finish 4th we'd have to play the 7th placed team with the home leg 2nd plus more often than not the 4th placed side finish at least 12 points ahead of 7th so confidence should rightly be high. At the end of the day we have far too much quality up front (and all through the side infact) to be worrying about anyone in this league bar Yeovil, Northampton and Swansea and only Yeovil IMO are superior to us.

Also making the LDV final last year could prove a huge factor if we make the play-off final against a side who've never been there before. Even better if we were to make this seasons LDV final also, this would undoubtedly give us a MASSIVE advantage on our opponents.

After the Notts County match, however, we have "the month of truth", so to speak... perhaps the most important month our beloved club has faced in an awfully, awfully long time. Check it out:

Sat 22 Jan - Mansfield v. Southend
Tue 25 Jan - Southend v. Swindon (LDV Southern Semi)
Sat 29 Jan - Southend v. Darlo
Sat 05 Feb - Swansea v. Southend
Sat 12 Feb - Southend v. Sc.unthorpe
Tue 14 Feb - LDV Southern Final 1st leg
Sat 19 Feb - Northampton v. Southend

It is not until Tues 22 Feb, when Shrewsbury come visiting to Roots Hall, that the pressure's off.

What a bloomin' month. If we can come through that little lot and still be smiling, then I think we can all begin to feel some real optimism for the rest of the campaign.

But frankly, the Fat Lady is still having her dinner and hasn't even booked her taxi to the theatre for that evening's performance, so let's not talk about promotion yet, folks. Looking at that wee cresta run, promotion seems an awfully long way away right now...

rock.gif

Matt

Exactly. Nothing is decided in January. Thats why losing to Boston shouldn't feel like the end of the world. Hopefully, a win tomorrow will put us right again.

Also, Northampton play host to Darlington tomorrow. I wouldn't be too miffed if the Cobblers win that to be honest, providing we win of course, as that will give us a bit of daylight between us and the chasing pack. And with us now firmly situated within the playoff pack, it's paramount we attempt to pull away from those below us, as well as trying to catch those above us.

But if we do manage a decent points return in that tricky month we will be taking points off our promotion rivals remember.....

I don't think we need to panic just yet. Lets look at the points per game:-

Home 26 points from 13 matches. 2 points per game.
Away 18 point from 14 matches. 1.3 points per game.

Away from home we are still averaging more than a point a game. Over all we are averaging 1.6 points per game. If we extrapolate to the end of the season we are still looking at 75 points. Should be enough for the play offs at least.......so long as our form so far is an indication of our for to the end of the season.....

Next month will determine whether we are top 3, or indeed top 7.

Or god forbid....none of the above.

rock.gif

Back