• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Qualifications

Gap year, a lot do it anyway. It just delays things for a year.
The vast majority of uni entrants haven't done a gap year. They are more likely to do it after graduating and are faced with a tough job sector.

A compulsory gap year means that our graduates are a year behind most other developed countries.

Seems pointless to me. Respect and hard work are developed at home. National service seems like a cop-out to me.

You don't see many Chinese Phd graduates who have taken a gap year.

There's plenty in the city and large tech firms trousering big money though.

The vast majority of uni entrants haven't done a gap year. They are more likely to do it after graduating and are faced with a tough job sector.

A compulsory gap year means that our graduates are a year behind most other developed countries.

Seems pointless to me. Respect and hard work are developed at home. National service seems like a cop-out to me.

I think as a country it would be of far more benefit than having more and more people going down the Uni route, we've got far too many graduates now who find difficulty finding jobs and I think this might persuade some that maybe Uni is not the route for them. That's apart from the benefits in learning self discipline and independence.

As I see it, it wouldn't have to be of the type it used to be.....it could just as easily be volunteering in an overseas project or something where you're actually learning some life skills. Maybe a year is too long, perhaps 6 months might be better. I just think that there's not enough discipline and respect, unfortunately, far too many homes don't see that as a priority, and having a system of this type might improve the Jeremy Kyle nature of a lot of our young people!

In all seriousness, I've said for a while that I think there should be some kind of National Service, it might help instil some discipline and respect that is sadly lacking in some youngsters' lives. I don't think it needs to be 2 years like it used to be, but certainly the idea of doing a year, on leaving school, whether that is at 16 or 18 sounds worthwhile.

Who's going to pay for these youngsters for this year of teaching them how to kill?

Who's going to pay for these youngsters for this year of teaching them how to kill?
Who paid for the old National Service system? :raspberry:

I just think something needs to be introduced for youngsters who fall so easily into bad ways, and the best way to do so is for it to be something done across the board.

A 6 month period of doing either voluntary work or a type of National Service - away from home, whichever.

I don't know how much you or Pubey come across disaffected youngsters but it might actually give them a sense of purpose and help them to find employment.

I just think something needs to be introduced for youngsters who fall so easily into bad ways, and the best way to do so is for it to be something done across the board.

A 6 month period of doing either voluntary work or a type of National Service - away from home, whichever.

I don't know how much you or Pubey come across disaffected youngsters but it might actually give them a sense of purpose and help them to find employment.

already with the patronising comments!

As I've said, a lack of self-esteem or work ethic comes from home. National service is just passing the buck for the parents who need to be encouraged or persuaded to do more for their children.

As I've said, a lack of self-esteem or work ethic comes from home. National service is just passing the buck for the parents who need to be encouraged or persuaded to do more for their children.

Pubey, what spurred you on to get your magnificent qualifications ?

This is so rarely true.

There may well be kids who would benefit from it, but there are plenty who wouldn't.

Pubey, what spurred you on to get your magnificent qualifications ?

My qualifications aren't particularly magnificent! My A levels aren't great and I went into WHSB thinking I was smart and quickly found out I was very average - bottom set for most things and I struggled with that. I come from quite an academic family and saw that hard work and studying pays off which was probably the main reason I decided to go to uni. I enjoyed learning about economics at a-level and made a last minute change when apply for unis to study economics. My parents definitely weren't pushy but I could tell that not going to uni wasn't really an option because it definitely did make me grow up and I did well with my BA and MSc and I think my parents had this foresight.

My qualifications aren't particularly magnificent! My A levels aren't great and I went into WHSB thinking I was smart and quickly found out I was very average - bottom set for most things and I struggled with that. I come from quite an academic family and saw that hard work and studying pays off which was probably the main reason I decided to go to uni. I enjoyed learning about economics at a-level and made a last minute change when apply for unis to study economics. My parents definitely weren't pushy but I could tell that not going to uni wasn't really an option because it definitely did make me grow up and I did well with my BA and MSc and I think my parents had this foresight.

Just to have failed to get into SHSB must have hit your self-esteem hard mate.

Where and what is patronising? I'm sorry, but I fail to see anything patronising in what I've said. You're obviously a motivated and focussed adult, I don't know how long you've been like that but what I know, from personal experience, and hear far too often from others, is that young men are finding it harder and harder to find jobs unless they are confident and have good qualifications. If you haven't got either of those attributes, the world is not the friendliest of places.

This is so rarely true.

There may well be kids who would benefit from it, but there are plenty who wouldn't.

But that's why I'm saying about voluntary work being an option too.

But that's why I'm saying about voluntary work being an option too.

I'm fully in favour of voluntary work, but it's hardly voluntary if you're compelling kids to do it.

I also think they'd learn more about slacking off than a hard day's work.

How many of your other half's clients have done community service. Did that work?

I'm fully in favour of voluntary work, but it's hardly voluntary if you're compelling kids to do it.

I also think they'd learn more about slacking off than a hard day's work.

How many of your other half's clients have done community service. Did that work?
I don't know actually, I'll ask him later...

Just to have failed to get into SHSB must have hit your self-esteem hard mate.

I failed to get into SHSB.

I was ****ing glad when I saw the **** blazers they had to wear.

At King Edmunds is was all about Farah slacks and a smart Fred Perry/Slazenger V neck complemented by a Campri ski jacket.

Last edited:
I failed to get into SHSB.

I was ****ing glad when I saw the **** blazers they had to wear.

At King Edmunds is was all about Farah slacks and a smart Fred Perry/Slazenger V neck complemented by a Campri ski jacket.

At SHSB we had Farahs and Campris. :winking:

You're damn right we did. I recall a kid who had some knock off Farahs from Roots Hall market, which had an 'S' on the label rather than the magnificent F. They were henceforth known as 'Sarahs'.

And now you live in the States I bet you want to get in Palin's "pants"!

Back