• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greatest Southend Moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SUFCStu

President
Winner Of Tie 5 V Winner Of Tie 7

davewebbsbrain - Ian Benjamin goal that put Southend into the second tier for the first time. V

OlvisIII - Swansea away in the 2005-2006 season - freddy Eastwood double got us promoted thanks to results going our way

I know some of the younger supporters may not remember the Bury game and Benji's goal that gained us promotion to the second tier for the first time in our history, but take a look at this video. Even with Pat Scully sent off for a criminal challenge, we still went on to win the game. A great great day in the history of SUFC

[video=youtube;s94LR_50iGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=s94LR_50iGU[/video]

Us more mature fans will appreciate the Benji thing
Us more mature fans should have shown due appreciation for containing the Champions of Europe at Roots Hall in 1979, however, some didn't. It's a travesty to me that the Liverpool game isn't in the final.

Us more mature fans should have shown due appreciation for containing the Champions of Europe at Roots Hall in 1979, however, some didn't. It's a travesty to me that the Liverpool game isn't in the final.

That's quite true. I guess maybe there are more fans on SZ that are of the younger generation that haven't appreciated some of the earlier feats of the team

That's quite true. I guess maybe there are more fans on SZ that are of the younger generation that haven't appreciated some of the earlier feats of the team
It's very true, and there are many on here that won't vote in favour of something because they weren't there when, if things were looked at in context, they might have been voted for very differently. Champions of Europe FFS - none of this playing fringe players lark, this was as decent a team as you'd find gracing any pitch!

It's very true, and there are many on here that won't vote in favour of something because they weren't there when, if things were looked at in context, they might have been voted for very differently. Champions of Europe FFS - none of this playing fringe players lark, this was as decent a team as you'd find gracing any pitch!

You just have to go with it Kay, you can't always vote for something you didn't see. Some things that are in your heart you have to vote for over something that was better but you didn't experience.

I was old enough to remember the Benjamin goal - but surely this wasn't as exciting as the Tilson revolution of the 2005-2006 season. Our paper thin squad, in a league where clubs had significant money, surprising everybody to win promotion. Twice we were behind, twice we dug in and witnessed glorious strikes from the magnificent Freddy Eastwood. Yes Benjy scored an important goal - but was it with the same swagger and pomp as our favourite son? This is without question the pinnacle of a Southend fans support of the club.

Just remember Grimsby - that fateful Saturday afternoon in the wind and rain. Mistaken information saw thousands of blues fans celebrating a false promotion...still leaves me feeling sick. A tonic was needed, and those people fortunate enough to make that journey across the M4, found their antedote! The feeling when the goal went in at Brentford has not been beaten by any sporting moment. The elation, the joy, the happiness - unbeatable! If you were in Swansea, savouring this promotion party, then you too will vote for Southend v Swansea in this titanic battle of two great blues moments!

Tough, both are goals that took us up to the 2nd tier so huge moments. But Benji's did it for the first ever time.

Simple this one, Swansea. End of. Still to this day, I think one of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced as a Southend fan, even sports fan for that. The only thing that runs it close is the Juppy goal in Cardiff, but it comes a close second to that day. The second goal summed up everything Freddy Eastwood was about and that is why he is a hero to all that watched him play.

I heard a rumour he might be coming on loan?:winking:

The difference between Bury and Liverpool is a simple goal Kay .. drawing with Liverpool was tremendous, as was drawing with Chelsea and (in this instance) Swansea ... but Man Utd and (in this instance) Bury were beaten

I'd take a win over a draw pretty much every time

Back