• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Questions For Q & A With Ron Martin

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
A thought/suggestion for the forthcoming Q & BS session with RM. As there is a fair chance that RM won't make this easy for us to attend or even make numbers limited, would it not be a good idea to collate questions (serious ones) from SZ'ers for a rep of SZ to ask him.

This way we will get everything raised on here in over the last few months/years out in the open (I guess him & GK have read most of it before!) Also, I'm sure that there will be people who will not fancy standing up in front in several hundred people.

I would also sugest that the person reading the questions out is articulate, intelligent & has the balls to "do a Paxman" if TefRon Martin skirts around the issue. Suggestions? Somebody with a legal or financial background?

Another idea is for somebody to record the whole Q & BS session & show it on SZ, Trust or YouTube so that we can all see for our own eyes how the session is conducted & there are any little nervous twitches or signs that TefRon, might be a bit uncomfortable with.

Just one further thought, would it be better for all questions to be PM'd to one person & not publicly shown on SZ so that RM has no advanced warning? I know this will mean that some questions will be duplicated several times, but its just a thought. Whoever collates the questions, MUST read all questions whether they think they don't agree with them, providing they're not rude or abusive. Also, full names to be read out with each question, so it would go:

SZ: Mr Martin our first question is from Joe Bloggs who asks, What security does SUFC have, when you eventually pass away? (this was the first thing I could think of!)

A few ideas, what do people think? I'm due to be on holiday soon, so it may apply to me! Any better ideas/suggestions along these lines?

This isn't a Q&A session for the benefit of Shrimperzone. It's obviously open to ALL supporters. How long do you think it would take for one person to read out all the questions, and get the answers to, just the ones put forward by the members of this site? What about the other 100+ people that will no doubt be there that might like their chance to quiz the Chairman?
Q&A sessions very rarely last longer than a couple of hours and knowing how RM tends to waffle on and go off on tangents when answering questions two hours plus will still not be long enough, although a member of the Trust committee will, I would assume, be moderating the proceedings.

Also, who decides what are the most pressing and urgent questions to be put to the man? Do you run a poll on here with lets say the 20 most pertinent questions and then pick the ten most popular?

Minutes being taken of the meeting I would assume wouldn't be a problem but video footage, and the public posting of that video, may infringe the privacy laws of those present.

Phil

My question would be
With relegation a possibility and a short term contract for our assistant manager add that the players have not been paid for a couple of months and the only news we hear from Southend is that off the financial problems you say we haven't got, how do you intend on getting a team and an assistant manager for division 2 next year, with the media we are getting?

A thought/suggestion for the forthcoming Q & BS session with RM. As there is a fair chance that RM won't make this easy for us to attend or even make numbers limited, would it not be a good idea to collate questions (serious ones) from SZ'ers for a rep of SZ to ask him.

This way we will get everything raised on here in over the last few months/years out in the open (I guess him & GK have read most of it before!) Also, I'm sure that there will be people who will not fancy standing up in front in several hundred people.

I would also sugest that the person reading the questions out is articulate, intelligent & has the balls to "do a Paxman" if TefRon Martin skirts around the issue. Suggestions? Somebody with a legal or financial background?

Another idea is for somebody to record the whole Q & BS session & show it on SZ, Trust or YouTube so that we can all see for our own eyes how the session is conducted & there are any little nervous twitches or signs that TefRon, might be a bit uncomfortable with.

Just one further thought, would it be better for all questions to be PM'd to one person & not publicly shown on SZ so that RM has no advanced warning? I know this will mean that some questions will be duplicated several times, but its just a thought. Whoever collates the questions, MUST read all questions whether they think they don't agree with them, providing they're not rude or abusive. Also, full names to be read out with each question, so it would go:

SZ: Mr Martin our first question is from Joe Bloggs who asks, What security does SUFC have, when you eventually pass away? (this was the first thing I could think of!)

A few ideas, what do people think? I'm due to be on holiday soon, so it may apply to me! Any better ideas/suggestions along these lines?

Don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel about RM(!) Or just skip to the end, stand up at the meeting and admit "No matter what you say, I will find a way to dislike it. If by some miracle I do like your response, I will file it under 'RM spin/too good to be true' and bang my head against a wall until someone else takes over the club."

No, this isn't rose-tinted fanboyism towards RM - I'm just saying the guy meets 1-to-1 with unhappy supporters, posts blogs when people say he's not being open enough with the fans and now offers to answer any and all questions about the club, its future and finances on occasions other than the AGM. That's more than you'd get from most chairmen.

This isn't a Q&A session for the benefit of Shrimperzone. It's obviously open to ALL supporters. How long do you think it would take for one person to read out all the questions, and get the answers to, just the ones put forward by the members of this site? What about the other 100+ people that will no doubt be there that might like their chance to quiz the Chairman?
Q&A sessions very rarely last longer than a couple of hours and knowing how RM tends to waffle on and go off on tangents when answering questions two hours plus will still not be long enough, although a member of the Trust committee will, I would assume, be moderating the proceedings.

Also, who decides what are the most pressing and urgent questions to be put to the man? Do you run a poll on here with lets say the 20 most pertinent questions and then pick the ten most popular?
Minutes being taken of the meeting I would assume wouldn't be a problem but video footage, and the public posting of that video, may infringe the privacy laws of those present.

Phil

Point 1: I never said it was just for the benefit of SZ. I thought that as we have several hundred active members on here that it was a reasonable suggestion especially as not everybody, myself included, might be able to get to the Q & A.

Point 2: On the basis that the majority of us will want to attend this meeting, there shouldn't be that many people needing to use the "facility." Glasgow & Shrimpero are two I can think of that probably won't be able to get to the meeting. I also suggested somebody with a bit of a brain goes through the questions. Perhaps the owners would go through them too.

This is just a suggestion for the benefit of those who can't get there or are too scared to stand up in front of several hundred people. What is wrong with that?

I would like to ask Dr. Warchest the following;

1) I'd like Ron to explain, why we now owe £400k, when the origional figure was £200k. Have we just given up paying HMRC full stop?

2), Ron, why was you adament you'd overpaid and this was all made-up by those naughty troublemakers at HMRC? Surely your team of legal beagles and accountants knew you were in the wrong. Surely YOU knew you was in the wrong. Was you merely stalling for time as there was no money available?

3), you were quoted as saying "it's a good result, we just needed a little more time". How is it a good result when you were sure we were in the right? Clearly it's been proven we're not.

4) You claimed we had witheld the dough from HMRC, implying we had it in the first place. Is this the same situation. Do we have it at hand now, or are we waiting for an influx, i.e. season card money/gate money? If so, where will be money come from for A) player's/staff wages and B) Money for transfers for next season. It seems enevitable we'll play L2 football next season, but there's a real danger we'll be out of the Football League if we have to endure seasons like this over and over again.

5) Reports suggest we have/or were meant to pay £60k today towards the debt. Is this the same £60k that was borrowed from the Trust?

6) We are (alledgedly) about to pay £170k towards the debt on Monday (15/3/10) Is this the money we recieved from the sale of Barnard?

7) Do you feel you can see out this project on your own, or do you acknowledge you need assistance. Put another way, are you willing to risk the 104 year history of this club, just go get a bigger slice of the FF pie?

Last edited:
Don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel about RM(!) Or just skip to the end, stand up at the meeting and admit "No matter what you say, I will find a way to dislike it. If by some miracle I do like your response, I will file it under 'RM spin/too good to be true' and bang my head against a wall until someone else takes over the club."

No, this isn't rose-tinted fanboyism towards RM - I'm just saying the guy meets 1-to-1 with unhappy supporters, posts blogs when people say he's not being open enough with the fans and now offers to answer any and all questions about the club, its future and finances on occasions other than the AGM. That's more than you'd get from most chairmen.

Firstly as you will guess, I in the anti-RM camp. No surprise there. I have been "banging" on about the club heading towards this situation two years ago. I had a post on administration removed by the mods on the basis it was unfounded & that there wasn't a winding up order in place, when there was! I don't care if people want to slag me off for it, as I get no pleasure in being proved right. We all have opinions & some of mine have been proved wrong, but this one isn't one of them.

Yes, Ron has been open with the fans, but Brum, you're obviously a bright bloke, so how comes all his blogs, all his press releases have been full of waffle, half truths & totally misleading info. You only find this after wading through loads of waffle.

I would respect RM more if he was truthful & used less jargon & used simple words that cannot be misunderstood. I hope RM pulls this around & we can look back at this as a temporary bad spell. As it is, it would seem that we only have a club to support today on the "whim" of a judge who should have rightfully wound the club up last week. BTW, its what I do for a living!

Very well put Big Shrimp. I feel we should work with the Trust on this, as many of us here are Trust members also.

Firstly as you will guess, I in the anti-RM camp. No surprise there. I have been "banging" on about the club heading towards this situation two years ago. I had a post on administration removed by the mods on the basis it was unfounded & that there wasn't a winding up order in place, when there was! I don't care if people want to slag me off for it, as I get no pleasure in being proved right. We all have opinions & some of mine have been proved wrong, but this one isn't one of them.

Yes, Ron has been open with the fans, but Brum, you're obviously a bright bloke, so how comes all his blogs, all his press releases have been full of waffle, half truths & totally misleading info. You only find this after wading through loads of waffle.

I would respect RM more if he was truthful & used less jargon & used simple words that cannot be misunderstood. I hope RM pulls this around & we can look back at this as a temporary bad spell. As it is, it would seem that we only have a club to support today on the "whim" of a judge who should have rightfully wound the club up last week. BTW, its what I do for a living!

You wind people up for a living ???

I would like to ask Dr. Warchest the following;

1) I'd like Ron to explain, why we now owe £400k, when the origional figure was £200k. Have we just given up paying HMRC full stop?
To be fair to the man, he has already answered this one. Because we are, as described in court by HMRC, serial defaulters on our tax liabilities, HMRC are charging us in advance for NI payments due next month.

Last edited:
although i think its good to get some answers from ron and i do appreciate he actually doing this as thousands wouldn't but its not really going to help anything.

no more players will be bought. we still owe the money. he's still run the club into the ground.

Do you accept that the finacial mis-mangement of the club has causd the current footballing situation ?

Do you undertsand how your mismanagment of the clubs financs has resulted in an inadequat palying staff ?

Do you understand how your mismangement has got the club in this current league situation ?

Do you understand that the followers of Southen United know that your mismangemnt of the club has resulted in our current situation ?

Do you want to apologise ?

On the 8th of March this year you issued a club statement, concerning Paul Brush, where you said that, "Relegation for the club and its supporters would be fatal....."
You will understand that this has worried many of us, particularly now, that relegation must be considered a distinct possibility. Could you please expand on this and hopefully put some peoples minds at rest.

Last edited:
Back