• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

usual stuff,like who did he think was our best player,while playing for us?
He is and always be a true sufc GREAT.
What did he think of "King Billy".
Any funny "tales" about his time with us.
What is he doing now?Does he come to watch us now and then?

Was it him that scored from his own half, about level with the North Bank Penalty area into the South Stand goal? If so, does he remember much about it?

Londonblue :Was it him that scored from his own half, about level with the North Bank Penalty area into the South Stand goal? If so, does he remember much about it?

I think it was Neil Townsend v. Darlington, April 7th 1978.

Yep, Neil Townsend scored in that game.

1978 is a bit after the Bentley, so could it be an earlier game than this that 'Londonblue' is thinking of?

Last edited:
Favourite memory of his career with us .....memories of the managers he played under.....biggest disappointment...favourite strip....best player he saw in his time...and worst

Neil Townsend scored in that game.

1978 is a bit after the Bentley, so could it be an earlier game than this that 'Londonblue' is thinking of?

Townsend booted it from just inside his own half near the East stand, it bounced in front of the Darlington 'keeper who (to give him something to blame!) was deceived by a bounce on a divot (cough) and the ball bounced over him; he then turned and slipped (again in his defence!) and the ball gently trundled into the goal as he crawled after it on all fours - I'm not even sure if it reached the net - Peter Abbott followed it in the hope he could claim the goal. The original "Dodgy Keeper!"

That's my recollection, anyway.

Townsend booted it from just inside his own half near the East stand, it bounced in front of the Darlington 'keeper who (to give him something to blame!) was deceived by a bounce on a divot (cough) and the ball bounced over him; he then turned and slipped (again in his defence!) and the ball gently trundled into the goal as he crawled after it on all fours - I'm not even sure if it reached the net - Peter Abbott followed it in the hope he could claim the goal. The original "Dodgy Keeper!"

That's my recollection, anyway.

The goal I was thinking of (and this was some time ago when I was about 8 years old so there's a fair chance I've got it completely wrong) was when a player (don't know who now) was in the North West corner, about level with the edge of the area. He lumped the ball forward, and it bounced over the 'keeper and into the net.

It seems too much of a coincidence that there would be two similar goals at around the same time, so I'm now starting to think I've got it completely wrong.

Back