• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Racism and fascism go hand'n glove together, Italy has never really developed the loathing hatred for fascism that many other countries have. It is also a country which has had bigger problems than the UK with illegal and often criminal migrants from (especially) its former African colonies, Albania and the flotsam of the former Yugoslavia wars that happened so close to its borders. Gypsy Roma are a bigger problem in the big cities and the decline of their industries has been as unsettling as that of the UK. (More cars are built in the North East of England than all Italy now.)
The sporting "stars" must set an example of behaviour; .......or am I back on to the Fergie issue again?

sporting "stars" must set an example of behaviour; .......or am I back on to the Fergie issue again?

While I don't ncessarily disagree with your other comments above,I happen to think that in this particular instance,the "sporting stars" involved have set a good example,which should be followed by others, if necessary.

While I don't ncessarily disagree with your other comments above,I happen to think that in this particular instance,the "sporting stars" involved have set a good example,which should be followed by others, if necessary.
John Terry, Di Canio, Ron Atkinson and the rest of the "still" mindset brigade which may include lot of club owners.

They should be applauded for the walk off, but.................lets say that the walk off becomes the norm, lets then say that a minority of people could band together and say 'lets ave a laugh and see if we can get man city to walk off the pitch today' then lets say that this becomes some kind of craze as all over europe games are called off week after week thus causing carnage, thus handing some sort of sick victory to the ********s of this world. Can a walking off stance be maintained?

They should be applauded for the walk off, but.................lets say that the walk off becomes the norm, lets then say that a minority of people could band together and say 'lets ave a laugh and see if we can get man city to walk off the pitch today' then lets say that this becomes some kind of craze as all over europe games are called off week after week thus causing carnage, thus handing some sort of sick victory to the ********s of this world. Can a walking off stance be maintained?

Got to agree, while it can be see as them not tolerating the abuse, you can say that the only people who are being punished are the people who paid to come to see a game and didn't join in with it, which is the majority of the crowd. For me, it seems that walking off the pitch could mean a "victory" for the people (using the word "people" instead of the vile scum that they most likely are) who are shouting the racist abuse. If they know they will get a reaction out of a player, then it may even encourage them to do it!

Got to agree, while it can be see as them not tolerating the abuse, you can say that the only people who are being punished are the people who paid to come to see a game and didn't join in with it, which is the majority of the crowd. For me, it seems that walking off the pitch could mean a "victory" for the people (using the word "people" instead of the vile scum that they most likely are) who are shouting the racist abuse. If they know they will get a reaction out of a player, then it may even encourage them to do it!
I think the idea is that the fans regulate themselves - so if one bell end is shouting abuse the others get him to shut up rather than join in. A bit like a class detention.

Until clubs and nations are kicked out from competitions and not handed poxy fines nothing will really change.

Until clubs and nations are kicked out from competitions and not handed poxy fines nothing will really change.

Absolutely spot on! In this instance, as it was a friendly, I think the decision to walk was the right one. If it had been a league or cup match though, then I don't think it would be right. If fans can't and won't temper their behaviour and behave in a civilised manner where race is concerned, then as Brettie says, kick them out of competitions or make them play behind closed doors.

I recall only a few years ago that we had a minority of fans who would not cheer Fred because of his roots; and I suspect they are still around and still have the same bigotry.

Back