• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Random question about Ferries

Cheltenham Shrimper

Are there any other ports in the UK that has ferries to Calais, or is it just Dover? Looking for cheap deals, but having no luck.

Just checked, and Ramsgate only sail to Oostend.

I'm looking for cheap deals, Rich! :p

Plus, we can't drive and it'll cost too much to go from London.

Is the train expensive then? I thought if you weren't doing London-Paris but merely the Ashford-Sangatte route it was fairly reasonable?

Is Ramsgate expensive for ferries then? What was the name of the company who setup in Dover running an easyJet style hovercraft service to Calais, they might be worth a try (if they're still operating, I remember seeing a TV doc about their struggle and P&O/Seafrance allegedly kept parking in their berths which delayed the service)?

Is the train expensive then? I thought if you weren't doing London-Paris but merely the Ashford-Sangatte route it was fairly reasonable?

Is Ramsgate expensive for ferries then? What was the name of the company who setup in Dover running an easyJet style hovercraft service to Calais, they might be worth a try (if they're still operating, I remember seeing a TV doc about their struggle and P&O/Seafrance allegedly kept parking in their berths which delayed the service)?

Looked at the trains and it was about 97 quid!

There is the Norfolk Line from Dover to Dunkerque, but there doesnt seem to be an option for foot passengers, only drivers.

Sea France and P&O are charging around £60-75 return for 2 days, which aint too bad.

Go there then, it's far better than Calais.
Especialy if you go down the seafront, it's Belgium's version of the Golden Mile & the Kuursal (albeit with better beer and prostitutes!!!) :D

Ill remember that for next time, Rich lol

my mate used the Eurostar a couple opf times, and for some reason, it works out cheaper to sometimes do this...

instead of buying a return ticket, or two single fares, you can sometimes make it cheaper by buying two return tickets for random days. Say you want to go out on a certain train, get that one, and then make the return leg obscure, but dont use it.

Then also book a return from france back to france, the going out one when you want it, and the other one obscure or difficult to make etc..

simply on both of the above dont use the return leg..

My mate did this twice now, and both times has saved him about £40 on getting a return or two singles...

If you understand what i mean, i have done ok, if not, ask for further reference!

Davros

Go on the living france web site and go to the travel section,always comes out cheaper for me.

The other year i went with norfolk line to Dunkerque from calais. That was cheap, and it really isn't far from calais at all, about another 30 minute drive.

The other year i went with norfolk line to Dunkerque from calais. That was cheap, and it really isn't far from calais at all, about another 30 minute drive.

I did look at that one, but there wasnt an option of foot passengers though, as we obviously aint taking a car, as none of us can drive!

Back