• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rd 1 Heat 5 - Charles Babbage FRS v John Winston Ono Lennon MBE

Charles Babbage FRS (Bob Cratchitt) v John Winston Ono Lennon MBE (MK Shrimper)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Bob Cratchitt - Charles Babbage FRS

v

MK Shrimper - John Winston Ono Lennon MBE

One of the Beatles versus a computing visionary. game on!

For the sake of those who may have never heard of Charles Babbage, he is considered the Father of the Computer, without his inventions and innovative mind, things we take for granted in our modern life would not have existed.

In affect there would be no ShrimperZone.com.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia

Charles Babbage, FRS (26 December 1791 – 18 October 1871)[2] was an English mathematician, philosopher, inventor and mechanical engineer who originated the concept of a programmable computer. Parts of his uncompleted mechanisms are on display in the London Science Museum. In 1991, a perfectly functioning difference engine was constructed from Babbage's original plans. Built to tolerances achievable in the 19th century, the success of the finished engine indicated that Babbage's machine would have worked. Nine years later, the Science Museum completed the printer Babbage had designed for the difference engine, an astonishingly complex device for the 19th century. Considered a "father of the computer"[3] Babbage is credited with inventing the first mechanical computer that eventually led to more complex designs.

For the sake of those who may have never heard of Charles Babbage, he is considered the Father of the Computer, without his inventions and innovative mind, things we take for granted in our modern life would not have existed.

In affect there would be no ShrimperZone.com.

And of course he lent his name to the Family Fortunes computer 'Mr Babbage', but only when Bob Monkhouse did it..

Shocking! John Lennon, the most prolific and influntial musicians of all time. For shame on those muso's voting for Babbage.

Without Lennon there would be no Beatles. McCartney/Harrisson's/Starr's solo work cannot even match up to Lennon's - with songs like Woman and Imagine. When his life was tragically cut short by Chapman, millions across the world mourned.

Without Babbage there'd be no computers? Well with Lennon there'd have been no Beatles and music as it is today would be substantially poorer for the sake of it.

Vote John Lennon!

Shocking! John Lennon, the most prolific and influntial musicians of all time. For shame on those muso's voting for Babbage.

Without Lennon there would be no Beatles. McCartney/Harrisson's/Starr's solo work cannot even match up to Lennon's - with songs like Woman and Imagine. When his life was tragically cut short by Chapman, millions across the world mourned.

Without Babbage there'd be no computers? Well with Lennon there'd have been no Beatles and music as it is today would be substantially poorer for the sake of it.

Vote John Lennon!

Sorry mate, got to be babbage..... you can't knock his contribution to music, but for some reason I find him a little annoying! I think it was Beatles combo that was so influencial.... incidently I don't have much time for 'Macca' either!

Meh, I won the MILF cup ;) As a computer nerd I'd be voting for Babbage as well if I wasn't drawn against him!

Vote John Lennon!

All the more reason to vote Babbage. Without him, there would be no battle of anything.

I like the Beatles but I listen to them on my Ipod.. What a conumdrum .. Hang on Lennon was a scouser.. sorry John..

Vote John Lennon!

I think you are backing a loser here MK. A quick glance at the current voting shows you and the Swiss lining up on the same side. Very unusual.

I'm not sure how true the statement - without Babbage there would be no computers - is.... would someone else have invented them?

Think I will go for Lennon...even though he is probably not even the best in his own band!

I think you are backing a loser here MK. A quick glance at the current voting shows you and the Swiss lining up on the same side. Very unusual.

Ah we may differ politically - as we do sir - but there's always common ground somewhere.

I'm not sure how true the statement - without Babbage there would be no computers - is.... would someone else have invented them?

Think I will go for Lennon...even though he is probably not even the best in his own band!

An interesting question and one raised recently by Malcolm Gladwell:

This phenomenon of simultaneous discovery—what science historians call "multiples"—turns out to be extremely common. One of the first comprehensive lists of multiples was put together by William Ogburn and Dorothy Thomas, in 1922, and they found a hundred and forty-eight major scientific discoveries that fit the multiple pattern. Newton and Leibniz both discovered calculus. Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace both discovered evolution. Three mathematicians "invented" decimal fractions. Oxygen was discovered by Joseph Priestley, in Wiltshire, in 1774, and by Carl Wilhelm Scheele, in Uppsala, a year earlier. Color photography was invented at the same time by Charles Cros and by Louis Ducos du Hauron, in France. Logarithms were invented by John Napier and Henry Briggs in Britain, and by Joost Bürgi in Switzerland.

"There were four independent discoveries of sunspots, all in 1611; namely, by Galileo in Italy, Scheiner in Germany, Fabricius in Holland and Harriott in England," Ogburn and Thomas note, and they continue:

The law of the conservation of energy, so significant in science and philosophy, was formulated four times independently in 1847, by Joule, Thomson, Colding and Helmholz. They had been anticipated by Robert Mayer in 1842. There seem to have been at least six different inventors of the thermometer and no less than nine claimants of the invention of the telescope. Typewriting machines were invented simultaneously in England and in America by several individuals in these countries. The steamboat is claimed as the "exclusive" discovery of Fulton, Jouffroy, Rumsey, Stevens and Symmington.

For Ogburn and Thomas, the sheer number of multiples could mean only one thing: scientific discoveries must, in some sense, be inevitable. They must be in the air, products of the intellectual climate of a specific time and place. It should not surprise us, then, that calculus was invented by two people at the same moment in history. Pascal and Descartes had already laid the foundations. The Englishman John Wallis had pushed the state of knowledge still further. Newton's teacher was Isaac Barrow, who had studied in Italy, and knew the critical work of Torricelli and Cavalieri. Leibniz knew Pascal's and Descartes's work from his time in Paris. He was close to a German named Henry Oldenburg, who, now living in London, had taken it upon himself to catalogue the latest findings of the English mathematicians. Leibniz and Newton may never have actually sat down together and shared their work in detail. But they occupied a common intellectual milieu. "All the basic work was done—someone just needed to take the next step and put it together," Jason Bardi writes in "The Calculus Wars," a history of the idea's development. "If Newton and Leibniz had not discovered it, someone else would have." Calculus was in the air.

Of course, that is not the way Newton saw it. He had done his calculus work in the mid-sixteen-sixties, but never published it. And after Leibniz came out with his calculus, in the sixteen-eighties, people in Newton's circle accused Leibniz of stealing his work, setting off one of the great scientific scandals of the seventeenth century. That is the inevitable human response. We're reluctant to believe that great discoveries are in the air. We want to believe that great discoveries are in our heads—and to each party in the multiple the presence of the other party is invariably cause for suspicion.

scientists are forever hawking their work around to get funding.. its bound to give other scientists ideas.. the sharing of ideas makes for increased progress

Back