• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean there are players, on contracts, that cannot cut the mustard. Once they realise they are fringed but stuck here, how long will they be happy?
If your at the end of your career and your other option is earning 50 quid a week playing for the dog n duck you'd probably see out your contract. Particularly as for some monumentally bizarre reason all these oldies seem to be on relatively huge wages....

Might be an idea to see if they can be farmed out to teams even lower then us and they cover some of the wages?

Good to know! Cause right now we are sinking faster then the titanic
I know it is easier said than done, but it is important that everyone keeps their nerve and backs the new management team to reverse what has been a three year decline. That will take some time, and perhaps the first indication of some progress will be a new found ability to compete right across the pitch. To date, Southend has been fragile at the back and in midfield. The two Sheffield lads look like excellent additions but a right-back and a combative but skillful midfielder would be helpful. I also like to see Eren Kinali given a chance to stake a claim. He certainly showed tremendous promise when in his previous first-team appearances and seems to have an ability to score goals.

I mean there are players, on contracts, that cannot cut the mustard. Once they realise they are fringed but stuck here, how long will they be happy?
It's not like we've got a squad of players with aspirations of playing higher up the leagues, it's a team of 30 somethings that are well aware this is their level. Most of them will be content to be in the reserves to be called on when needed.

I know it is easier said than done, but it is important that everyone keeps their nerve and backs the new management team to reverse what has been a three year decline. That will take some time, and perhaps the first indication of some progress will be a new found ability to compete right across the pitch. To date, Southend has been fragile at the back and in midfield. The two Sheffield lads look like excellent additions but a right-back and a combative but skillful midfielder would be helpful. I also like to see Eren Kinali given a chance to stake a claim. He certainly showed tremendous promise when in his previous first-team appearances and seems to have an ability to score goals.
We don't have time lol we need points on the board ASAP!

@StanleyVictorCollymore you made reference to Dean Smiths reliance on a back 3 and how it wasn'tand doesn't work on twitter. Bearing in mind your apparent belief here and KMs current reliance on the same setup - which barring a couple of good results against poor competition has been counterproductive to blues making progress - will the recruitment be aligned to enabling a more balanced 4 at the back with either 231 or 33 in front? I see Gerrard comes with a favoured 433 to the Villans. I think the blues fans on the whole are quite keen to see the same or similar. Would love to know the footballing strategy moving forward and how recruitment will support this?

Cheer @StanleyVictorCollymore, I am sure it’s frustrating for you and the coaching teams to watch from the sideline and see how awful Phil Brown signings was. We got more fans in home end than Dagenham, Boreham and Woking fans in their home end put together.

Yet them all 3 are in top half, if we had their players, we would easily get bigger crowds in very easily.

Cheer @StanleyVictorCollymore, I am sure it’s frustrating for you and the coaching teams to watch from the sideline and see how awful Phil Brown signings was. We got more fans in home end than Dagenham, Boreham and Woking fans in their home end put together.

Yet them all 3 are in top half, if we had their players, we would easily get bigger crowds in very easily.
But you can bet that they have better teams and have far better finances.
That of course so very important.

But you can bet that they have better teams and have far better finances.
That of course so very important.
Yet our comparative wage budget over the last 3 seasons suggest that financing the playing side isn’t the issue (let’s put aside late payment of wages).

Clubs with half of our budget (including I suspect many League 2 clubs) are doing more than twice as well.

I don’t accept the argument by some on here that a professional player is just here for the wage packet. The coaching staff aren’t stupid and those not putting in a shift would be on the sidelines in an instant. I don’t accept that we have too many old players either.

I do believe we need new blood hungry for first team action and that should be a combination of loan players with a couple of non league gambles looking for the next Freddy or Benno

I’d also want to see Walsh and Rush with extended starts. If you’re good enough you’re old enough.

Some fans of some clubs who get large gates feel an entitlement.
They swagger into smaller grounds and play the big time Charlie card.
"As we get bigger crowds than you the result must be an away win"

I very much hope that you are not one of those.

Some fans of some clubs who get large gates feel an entitlement.
They swagger into smaller grounds and play the big time Charlie card.
"As we get bigger crowds than you the result must be an away win"

I very much hope that you are not one of those.
Don’t think so, I am questioning why clubs with smaller budget than us is doing better than us on the pitch. Clear out is much needed and the opposition is targeting our weak link in back 3, John White and our RB, as Woking number two said on match report.

Don’t think so, I am questioning why clubs with smaller budget than us is doing better than us on the pitch. Clear out is much needed and the opposition is targeting our weak link in back 3, John White and our RB, as Woking number two said on match report.
I wonder how much that would cost the club?
Contracts have to be paid up.

Its a strange business football. In any other industry if you were not trying or able to do your job you would end up being let go on either disciplinary or capability issues yet we have 5,6 or 7 that just are not capable anymore and they will still collect their pay. This seems wrong to me!

Hi Guys

1. Recruitment is in hand.
2. Areas of improvement have been identified from day 1.
3. Those areas are being worked on by an A class network.
4. Professionals are now at the club.

The support yesterday was awesome, thank you ??

Stan ??
Stan - this is great to hear and I do think Kev and Darren Currie do care - It is clear to see that Darren and Kev are frustrated and they want more from this group of players & their determination is evident.
We need to be able to compete physically - we are woefully short of the workmanlike players needed at this level.
Moreover we need to work out how to play the referees better - Woking were a nasty, sneaky side who got away with loads of cheap shots that go unpunished. We need to fight fire with fire.

Simple. Far better recruitment.

Over the last god knows how many years we have brought in names/mates/hasbeens/injury prone wasters.

Woking for example. How many of their players are recognised names? From what I saw on Saturday I’d have their big unit centre half, their left winger and their striker. All I’m sure would be an upgrade on what we currently have and would cost a lot less than what we’ve ******* on bang average recruits.

You could say the same for most of the teams We’ve faced so far. Bottom line the scouting and due diligence on our targets has been shambolic and here we are today with what is without doubt the worst squad ever assembled in the history of our club.

Kev has a huge job. He’s inherited a god awful side and literally needs to perform a pre-season recruitment exercise almost mid way through the season, just to keep us up.

The management are well aware of this and I have no doubt targets have been identified. But Ron needs to make it possible for these targets to be acquired asap. That requires more funding and no little gremlins in the system preventing it. Can we be sure that will be the case is what concerns me…

Yet our comparative wage budget over the last 3 seasons suggest that financing the playing side isn’t the issue (let’s put aside late payment of wages).

Clubs with half of our budget (including I suspect many League 2 clubs) are doing more than twice as well.

I don’t accept the argument by some on here that a professional player is just here for the wage packet. The coaching staff aren’t stupid and those not putting in a shift would be on the sidelines in an instant. I don’t accept that we have too many old players either.

I do believe we need new blood hungry for first team action and that should be a combination of loan players with a couple of non league gambles looking for the next Freddy or Benno

I’d also want to see Walsh and Rush with extended starts. If you’re good enough you’re old enough.
Morecambe had one of the smallest budgets in League 2 when they won promotion last season to League 1.

Its a strange business football. In any other industry if you were not trying or able to do your job you would end up being let go on either disciplinary or capability issues yet we have 5,6 or 7 that just are not capable anymore and they will still collect their pay. This seems wrong to me!
Well also look at managers.....They sign a 4 year contract and are fired after 2 years and in some cases walk way with a fortune......How different it is out here in the real world.

Managers were forced to play kids when Ron self relegated us the football league. There's no way that was a competitive budget.

It's only this season where the budget has been matching of our gate income but any player with quality won't want to sign for us permanently because of reputation.

Agree they'll be the next Freddy and Bentley but most likely will have other clubs looking at them who now higher on their list than Southend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back