• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Finally got round to reading the above while on holiday in Spain, and a fascinating read it was too. Apologies if this book has been covered before, but the following caught my eye ;
McDonough thought that that Dave Smith was ‘a nervous odd bod’ who he described as ‘Mister Magoo’ (he was sacked before Roy could play for him).
He won his first contract with us after ‘blowing John Fashanu out of the water’ when it came to aggression during pre-season trials.
Mervyn Cawston, Steve Yates and Greg Shepherd ‘all liked a pint’ in that first spell.
The Big Man chinned and laid out the unpopular assistant to Peter Morris, one Colin Harper, during a five-a-side game in the Roots Hall car park. His last act in that first spell.
He was thrilled to play for Bobby Moore, the reason he re-signed. Moore ironically tried to sell him the club’s ambitious plans for a new 25,000 all-seater stadium. Roy even cut down his drinking to impress Moore, who received a standing ovation as he took his place in the dug-out at away games. Alas Vic Jobson started to try and pick the team for him and the last straw came when Barry Silkman shouted abuse at him on the team coach (just before McDonough pressed his face against the window for having the audacity to do so).
Roy had no respect for Richard Cadette who he labelled selfish and lucky. He took great delight when his goals dried up without him when he went on to pastures new. Alternatively he described David Crown as the best finisher he ever played with, including Trevor Francis.
David Webb was great at spotting young talent but was surprisingly ‘shy and a terrible communicator’.
I always appreciated David Martin’s do or die efforts on the field for us, but I never realised what a nutter he actually was.
Roy would often acknowledge our Ginge, and even offered to help, if a skirmish broke out in the stands at Roots Hall.
When Martin Ling had his skull fractured in seven places at Wrexham McDonough chased the culprit at the final whistle and kung-fu kicked him through the home dressing room door (before being bundled out by 6 of their players).
Dick Bate reminded him of Basil Fawlty and had the three lions logo emblazoned on everything he owned. He forgot what he was doing during one training session and when he asked an apprentice to fetch his notes from behind the goal he lost the dressing room before the season had even begun. At Gillingham he identified eight of their players as ‘weak links’, just before they hammered us 8-1.
After Paul Clark’s testimonial v Arsenal, the visitors joined our players down at TOTS. Steve Bould and Niall Quin enjoyed themselves so much they were found snoring their heads off against the dressing room doors at Roots Hall the following morning.
A 16-man brawl began in the player’s lounge at Bristol Rovers after one of our (unnamed) players had made comments about Ian Holloway’s wife’s cancer battle during the game.
Roy and Justin Edinburgh (the ‘king of the showers’ apparently) were offered a 15 grand bung to join Maidstone in the Bull pub in Hockley. They refused.
Gazza was ‘out of this universe’ in the League Cup tie v Tottenham at Roots Hall, telling out boys ‘how tight are your shorts like? Did you need a shoehorn to put them on? I’m surprised you Southend boys can even run!’.
Finally, I was pleased to learn that he re-discovered his love for football here, was honoured to be voted third in our all-time cult hero poll and will ‘never forget his fond batch of seaside memories’

Finally got round to reading the above while on holiday in Spain, and a fascinating read it was too. Apologies if this book has been covered before, but the following caught my eye ;
McDonough thought that that Dave Smith was ‘a nervous odd bod’ who he described as ‘Mister Magoo’ (he was sacked before Roy could play for him).
He won his first contract with us after ‘blowing John Fashanu out of the water’ when it came to aggression during pre-season trials.
Mervyn Cawston, Steve Yates and Greg Shepherd ‘all liked a pint’ in that first spell.
The Big Man chinned and laid out the unpopular assistant to Peter Morris, one Colin Harper, during a five-a-side game in the Roots Hall car park. His last act in that first spell.
He was thrilled to play for Bobby Moore, the reason he re-signed. Moore ironically tried to sell him the club’s ambitious plans for a new 25,000 all-seater stadium. Roy even cut down his drinking to impress Moore, who received a standing ovation as he took his place in the dug-out at away games. Alas Vic Jobson started to try and pick the team for him and the last straw came when Barry Silkman shouted abuse at him on the team coach (just before McDonough pressed his face against the window for having the audacity to do so).
Roy had no respect for Richard Cadette who he labelled selfish and lucky. He took great delight when his goals dried up without him when he went on to pastures new. Alternatively he described David Crown as the best finisher he ever played with, including Trevor Francis.
David Webb was great at spotting young talent but was surprisingly ‘shy and a terrible communicator’.
I always appreciated David Martin’s do or die efforts on the field for us, but I never realised what a nutter he actually was.
Roy would often acknowledge our Ginge, and even offered to help, if a skirmish broke out in the stands at Roots Hall.
When Martin Ling had his skull fractured in seven places at Wrexham McDonough chased the culprit at the final whistle and kung-fu kicked him through the home dressing room door (before being bundled out by 6 of their players).
Dick Bate reminded him of Basil Fawlty and had the three lions logo emblazoned on everything he owned. He forgot what he was doing during one training session and when he asked an apprentice to fetch his notes from behind the goal he lost the dressing room before the season had even begun. At Gillingham he identified eight of their players as ‘weak links’, just before they hammered us 8-1.
After Paul Clark’s testimonial v Arsenal, the visitors joined our players down at TOTS. Steve Bould and Niall Quin enjoyed themselves so much they were found snoring their heads off against the dressing room doors at Roots Hall the following morning.
A 16-man brawl began in the player’s lounge at Bristol Rovers after one of our (unnamed) players had made comments about Ian Holloway’s wife’s cancer battle during the game.
Roy and Justin Edinburgh (the ‘king of the showers’ apparently) were offered a 15 grand bung to join Maidstone in the Bull pub in Hockley. They refused.
Gazza was ‘out of this universe’ in the League Cup tie v Tottenham at Roots Hall, telling out boys ‘how tight are your shorts like? Did you need a shoehorn to put them on? I’m surprised you Southend boys can even run!’.
Finally, I was pleased to learn that he re-discovered his love for football here, was honoured to be voted third in our all-time cult hero poll and will ‘never forget his fond batch of seaside memories’

Well done Jaffa, for taking the time to put that up. Great stuff, especially for those of us that remember all those people.

It is a good read; and a bit sad as Roy did really spunk and **** away what talent he had; talent that could have had him playing for big teams in big games.
The big change at The Hall seemed to be when Benji and Brett came in and were the start of the new era of players who ate and drank well (sensibly that is).
I was surprised Danny O'Shea was a big drinker as I rarely remember him supping at his bar and he certainly turned into a fitness guy after football was finished for him.

Red card Roy is certainly a very entertaining book and well worth a read.Dont get characters like Roy in the game now.

Loved this book. Loved the comments about Gazza. My favourite non SUFC player of all time, sadly firmly in self destruct mode
We had a friendly v Spurs in the pre-season of '90-'91 and both Gazza and Lineker got a great reception from the Roots Hall crowd following their exploits in Italia '90. However, Gazza showed what a strange one he was by taking the mick out of Christian Hyslop's goldilocks and shouting "poof" at him when he was taking a while to take a throw-in in front of the West Stand. Astonishing, but true.

I think you have just convinced me to buy this now for my holiday in 2 weeks.

Read it this summer. Brilliant book. Fantastic insight... Funny but also poignant at times. Lucky to have made it through alive and a real case of 'what might have been'.

I have just returned from holiday in Cape Verde and also managed to read Red Card Roy. I have had the book since the signing day at Roots Hall, but it was well worth the wait, a right rivetting read!!! I read it in a couple of days, almost couldnt put it down. It is also in big print, which makes for easy beach reading.
I used to go out drinking with Danny O Shea (and Shane Westley) at West One, Churchills, TOTs etc and can confirm that they both liked the odd drink or ten.
I never always fully appreciated Super Roy, as for me he did not score enough goals, but maybe never realised just how much his roughing up of the defenders helped the other forwards such as Cadette (who he really slags off!)
The book is not very PC, with his slagging off the Welsh, the God Squad (David Moyes) and his treatment of the fairer sex etc etc but to me this makes the book an even better read as most biographies nowadays are far to sanitised for my liking. I would definitely recommend Red Card Roy to any Blues fans, even if you do have to read about the farmers glory days in the GM conference or whatever rubbish league they were in!!!
So a big well done to Roy Roy Super Roy and also our old mate Bernie Friend

Quite simply the best book I have ever read.
The highs lows and musings and recollections from an honest pro.
Compare that to all the cheating today
Can't praise the book enough and 10/10

Back