• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rediscovering bands

SUFC_Al

Metal Monday Dude
I love it when i rediscover a band that I haven't listened to in years. I recently rediscovered the almost universally hated The Smashing Pumpkins. I don't like their later stuff but up to and including Mellon Collie I think they are a quality band.

Billy Corgan maybe a tosser but I don't care because he's a very good rock musician, able to write blistering rock songs to quiet almost lullaby-like songs, often in the same song. I love the diversity in his writing. They also have, i believe, one of the best rock drummers in the modern day in Jimmy Chamberlain. It's no coincidence that after they sacked him in the 90s they went crap.

What bands have you rediscovered recently, if any?

Last edited:
Modest Mouse have been getting recent love, along with Blur and The Verve. not particularly out there... but all quality bands who i used to love when younger

I love it when i rediscover a band that I haven't listened to in years. I recently rediscovered the almost universally hated The Smashing Pumpkins. I don't like their later stuff but up to and including Mellon Collie I think they are a quality band.

Billy Corgan maybe a tosser but I don't care because he's a very good rock musician, able to write blistering rock songs to quiet almost lullaby-like songs, often in the same song. I love the diversity in his writing. They also have, i believe, one of the best rock drummers in the modern day in Jimmy Chamberlain. It's no coincidence that after they sacked him in the 90s they went crap.

What bands have you rediscovered recently, if any?

Universally hated? I loved them and so did a legion of grunge-ites!

Heard Everything But The Girl today and thought, haven't heard that in ages....

Corgan is a huge arse, but so are many people in rock. Doesn't stop Gish, Siamese Dream and MCATIS being works of absolute genius. I love their first 3 albums, but wouldn't say I'm a lover of them, just because of the dross that's come since (although Adore isn't terrible).

Corgan is a huge arse, but so are many people in rock. Doesn't stop Gish, Siamese Dream and MCATIS being works of absolute genius. I love their first 3 albums, but wouldn't say I'm a lover of them, just because of the dross that's come since (although Adore isn't terrible).

:clap: well said Pubey. For me they're like Metallica in the sense that I love their early work but their later work just doesn't do it for me.

Reccomend me some Albums!

I was going to start a new thread for this, but I'll just post it here. I wanted to order some cheap old cds, probably 4, from different genres and wondered if anyone had a reccomendations?

I'm interested in...
HipHop - esp. Tribe Called Quest, De a Soul, Mos Def & anything a bit leftfield. (I like Beastie Boys, Saul Williams, Roots Manuva, Wu-Tang, Public Enemy)

Nu-Folk/Alt-Country/Postrock - esp. James Yorkston, Iron & Wine, Elliot Smith, Alasdair Roberts, Tortoise (i like Bonnie prince Billy, Joanna Newsom, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, GSY!BE)

Hardcore/Post Hardcore Punk - esp. Suicidal Tendancies, Black Flag, Descendants, Fugazi (I like minor threat, fugazi, shellac, husker du)

Jazz - well I've already decided on some Coltrane here.

Thanks!

PS. Smashing Pumpkins = Ace.
Billy Corgan = Tit.

Not necessarily a rediscovery but I have been overdosing on NiN recently, everything up to The Fragile.

I was going to start a new thread for this, but I'll just post it here. I wanted to order some cheap old cds, probably 4, from different genres and wondered if anyone had a reccomendations?

I'm interested in...
HipHop - esp. Tribe Called Quest, De a Soul, Mos Def & anything a bit leftfield. (I like Beastie Boys, Saul Williams, Roots Manuva, Wu-Tang, Public Enemy)

Nu-Folk/Alt-Country/Postrock - esp. James Yorkston, Iron & Wine, Elliot Smith, Alasdair Roberts, Tortoise (i like Bonnie prince Billy, Joanna Newsom, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, GSY!BE)

Hardcore/Post Hardcore Punk - esp. Suicidal Tendancies, Black Flag, Descendants, Fugazi (I like minor threat, fugazi, shellac, husker du)

Jazz - well I've already decided on some Coltrane here.

Thanks!

PS. Smashing Pumpkins = Ace.
Billy Corgan = Tit.

Can definitely help you out with some of that:

Hip-hop - El-P, Common, Ghostface Killa (bit more gangsta), Talib Kweli (definitely, also check out Black Star), early Nas, first Anti-Pop Consortium record (and their driving force "Beans"), MF Doom

Post-Rock I'm a post rock nut, you've got the key ones... GSYBE, Mogwai, Explosions. Also check out anything on Mogwai's Rock action label (especially Errors and Remember Remember). Other decent bands are Do Make Say Think (quite jazzy, tortoisey), Set Fire to Flames, early Mono was good but gone off them now, old school 'post rock' includes Bark Psychosis, Talk Talk, Slint

Hardcore/Post Hardcore - The Jesus Lizard (awesome), Q and not U, Drive Like Jehu, Big Business, Melvins (getting into stoner here!)

cos i've got loads i've bolded ones i'd definitely suggest you check, if you haven't already!

Not necessarily a rediscovery but I have been overdosing on NiN recently, everything up to The Fragile.

I'm reading that Columbine book and been listening to The Downward Spiral repeatedly (gets quite a bit of reference by one of the killers)... stunning stuff... will have to branch out cos never really got into NiN in the first place

For a bit of Alt-Country you couldn't get much better than The Jayhawks or Uncle Tupelo.

For a bit of Alt-Country you couldn't get much better than The Jayhawks or Uncle Tupelo.

plus Ryan Adams.

The downside of Spotify is that halfway through listening to The Downward Spiral the mood is kinda broken by ads for Britney. Maybe it's time to fork out for the premium version

Back