• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch .... Walsall

Mick

Life President
Well, the original appointment was Steve Cook who is one of the okay new refs but it seems to have been changed to Captain Danny McDermid.
His performance at Orient is probably reasonably fresh in the minds of those who take notice of their match officials.

You were warned:

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35262

.... and he didn't disappoint.

What has he been up to since, you might wonder?

Well he's had another 6 matches and the yellow card count for those has been: 5, 4, 6, 5, 7, 7.

Asistants are Keith Yeo from Essex, Glen Hambling from Norfolk.

Enjoy.

Well, the original appointment was Steve Cook who is one of the okay new refs but it seems to have been changed to Captain Danny McDermid.
His performance at Orient is probably reasonably fresh in the minds of those who take notice of their match officials.

You were warned:

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35262

.... and he didn't disappoint.

What has he been up to since, you might wonder?

Well he's had another 6 matches and the yellow card count for those has been: 5, 4, 6, 5, 7, 7.

Asistants are Keith Yeo from Essex, Glen Hambling from Norfolk.

Enjoy.

Bloody hell 34 yellows in 6 games FFS.

Prefer then that he picks one up tomorrow and misses Crewe away, rather than Brighton, Northampton, Carlisle or the 'mere.

He will miss TWO games for a 10th booking, unless the amnesty has kicked in. Any idea when that is due to happen??

Prefer then that he picks one up tomorrow and misses Crewe away, rather than Brighton, Northampton, Carlisle or the 'mere.

2 games not 1 !

I'd be tempted to prefer the two hard away games that I don't think we'll win anyway. All the others are winnable with a decent strength team.

What we really don't want is Macca sent off as it would be his third and attract an extra 2 game ban.

2 games not 1 !

I'd be tempted to prefer the two hard away games that I don't think we'll win anyway. All the others are winnable with a decent strength team.

What we really don't want is Macca sent off as it would be his third and attract an extra 2 game ban.

This prat will probably be all too awareof these factors and have their names already in his book.

He will miss TWO games for a 10th booking, unless the amnesty has kicked in. Any idea when that is due to happen??

There is no amnesty as such, it's just that sanctions diminish as the season progresses. Second Sunday in April (13th) is the key date for 10 yellows. Four matches to negotiate.

Yeah, let's slag off the ref before he's even started, that'll help.

You often get more cards at each end of the season. Towards the end as the pressure hots up and the stakes are higher you get more over the top tackles and dissent, hence more cards.

Also (and I am speaking from experience) sometimes for no apparent reason both teams seem to just go at each other and you can't actually control the game without having to use your cards, meaning that you end up getting your cards out a lot more than you would like or would otherwise do. The point I'm making is that the number of cards a ref gets out is a very poor indicator of how good he is (or otherwise).

I also am all for stamping down on dissent because it ruins the game - players get distracted by it, it's a bad example to set youngsters and can also be counterproductive for the referees concentration. If I get dissent from a team, I do start to give the team less benefit of a doubt as the game goes on, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So if that means a few more yellows and reds in the short term then so be it - it's a price worth paying for making the game more respectable.

Some good points there Fish, but the problem with this particular ref at Orient was not the fact that he dished out a lot of cards but that he was spectacularly incompetent throughout the game.

Yeah, let's slag off the ref before he's even started, that'll help.

You often get more cards at each end of the season. Towards the end as the pressure hots up and the stakes are higher you get more over the top tackles and dissent, hence more cards.

Also (and I am speaking from experience) sometimes for no apparent reason both teams seem to just go at each other and you can't actually control the game without having to use your cards, meaning that you end up getting your cards out a lot more than you would like or would otherwise do. The point I'm making is that the number of cards a ref gets out is a very poor indicator of how good he is (or otherwise).

I also am all for stamping down on dissent because it ruins the game - players get distracted by it, it's a bad example to set youngsters and can also be counterproductive for the referees concentration. If I get dissent from a team, I do start to give the team less benefit of a doubt as the game goes on, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So if that means a few more yellows and reds in the short term then so be it - it's a price worth paying for making the game more respectable.

was you at orient? very very poor ref.

was you at orient? very very poor ref.

No, I wasn't at Orient myself, but I have read the reports and post-match comments, and seen the goals / penalty incident. I understand he had a poor game, but that we didn't lose out due to his poor decisions more that they evened themselves out over both teams.

I guess my point is that if you start off with a 'this ref is ****' attitude, you'll end up losing focus on the important bit of the game - putting the ball in the onion bag. Given that players read this, do we really want them going into the game thinking 'this guy's a **** ref and he'll make crap decisions all afternoon'?

Refs can have crap games, sometimes you know you've missed something and got something wrong and on a weak day it gets to you and you question yourself, even before the players quiestion you. They are the days when your concentration goes and when you're not concentrating, that's when crap decisions get made. But that doesn't make you crap, it makes you human.

Football refs are not helped one bit by having to apply overbearing, one-size-fits-all, draconian laws which frequently don't give them the necessary discretion they need. For example, every time the ball touches a defenders arm in the penalty area, regardless of whether it was deliberate or gave an advantage to the defender, it's a penalty these days. Common sense is play on if it's accidental and inconsequential. So Clarke's penalty given away at Orient was blamed on the ref when he's got no lea-way to apply common sense.

If we approach the game thinking 'we're good enough to beat Wallsall' and we are, then there's little the ref can actually do about the outcome of the game, even if he tried to.

Lastly, there's the argument for setting the example. If kids see players and fans constantly saying 'the ref was sh*t' every week, it's hardly going to encourtage them to take up refereeing. And if they don't take up refereeing, there's less competition amongst referees cos there's less of them. At grass roots there's a gross shortage of refs, largely because of the abue they get. So we can do our bit as fans in ensuring better refereeing by at least giving the poor sods a chance before jumping on their backs.

Maybe so, but this ref is an attention seeker & its not just us who have had problems with him. He's out to make a name for himself regardless of the cost to the paying public & how much it detracts from our enjoyment.

Trying to be positive about this ref (which is hard for those who went to orient), he does seem to give a lot of decisions to the home team. Lets hope that continues and he has a shocking game on Saturday, giving us everything we missed out on at orient.

Back