• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Residents Only Parking Scheme in Westcliff

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Southend Borough Council are trying to bring in a Residents Only Parking Scheme between North Road to the East, West Road to the North, London Road to the South, and Hamlet Court Road to the West.

This is despite the fact only 35% of residents responded, which breaks their own threshold which is 40% as previously agreed by the Council's Traffic Regulations Working Party and the Cabinet Committee.

They say that over 70% of residents are supportive of the scheme, that is simply not true, actually only 22% of the total 933 properties/residents are supportive, but that does not fit the Council's agenda.

The Council's Traffic Regulations Working Party and the Cabinet Committee will be considering these proposals at their meeting at 6.00pm 1st November 2018 to be held in the Committee Room in the Civic Suite at the Civic Centre, but will only allow 1 person to speak and object for 3 minutes out of total for 933 properties/residents this scheme affects.

Cost to residents of a Residents Permit per property per year (to start with)

1st Car £15.00
2nd Car £25.00
3rd Car £50.00
4th Car £75.00
Carers £15.00 (each carer)
Visitors permit Max cost £5.00 per book (no idea what that means as they have not said how many permits are in each book), but each property is limited to 5 books per year.
Business £250.00 per permit

(Payment for a Residents Permit does not guarantee a parking space in your street or area)

That is democracy for you.

They have wanted to add meters in Thorpe Bay for years as well. Despite being defeated a few years back they have added some along from me. I guess I’m next.

It’s easier to sneak them in a bit at a time. It’s certainly not to improve parking for locals, purely for financial gain.

I have off streeet parking but the cheaper flats were bought knowing that you could park free outside your own house. All that will happen is that people will park down side roads and cause residents in that road problems.

As will people who use any small business or more likely not bother.

Your not going to pop in for a coffe or an hours yoga if you have to fiddle around with an annoying amount like £3.10 (Southend hospital).

That's one of the annoying things is that the machines don't give change so you normally end up over paying the machine. I wonder how much extra money is raised that way?

In this day and age, you'd think all parking would be done with your mobile, like the Ringo app. Having to carry around change is so annoying.

That's going to cause problems on match day.

It will indeed, but this so called North Road Residents Parking Scheme is only one area of many, here are some of the others.
If you want to see the massive area this North Road Area Residents Parking Scheme covers, you can check out the plans and proposals here, note just look at the amount of double yellow lines.

https://www.southend.gov.uk/downloads/download/786/north_road_area_parking_management_scheme_zone_nr

Let's hope the council approve Fossetts Farm Development Scheme soon with it's nice big car park, that should ease the match day parking problems these schemes are creating.

Thinking about it, I might have to park at Fossetts, but it is a bit of a walk back to Hamlet Court Road area.

The council ignored local residents views entirely when introducing residents permit parking for roads South of London Road / East of Park Street down to the railway line. A chap I spoke with at the time said he and his neighbours never had any consultation notices, just a case of the council already pre-determining the scheme would be imposed anyway.

Is this really a political issue?
Yes, I would have thought that Southend County Council having a meeting about parking issues for local residents was exactly that, they are going to vote and will probably enforce this scheme against the will of the people.
Local councillors on the committee are from various political parties, this is local politics and democracy in action, that is why I posted it correctly in here.

No matter how they dress it up. permit parking is all about how much revenue they can raise. So is putting in parking machines that don't give change, especially when the charge is not on the pound mark, for example £2.20 instead of £2. They have found the cash cow, and parking permits will be all over the place in the next few years.

All part of a grand traffic planning strategy by the council which I recall seeing paperwork at Rochford library several years back. The aim being to get people out of their cars and push them into using public transport by limiting traffic movement into the town centre areas. This to be done by introducing street-parking restrictions, resident permits and more meters and removing the free parking on a Sunday.

Back