• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ricky Duncan now Director of Football

In my mind he's a better choice than Stan for that role, whilst he hasn't got as high a profile as Stan that's a good thing because away from roots hall Stan has got a bit of an iffy image whereas RD is known for developing young players that go onto have professional careers either with us or elsewhere

Dont want to seem a killjoy, but seems totally pointless to me. Suits phil brown tho i guess i imagine ricky will quietly and efficiently go about his business.

So the future of sufc and our long term football ethos rests on Ricky Duncans shoulders? Or will Brown do what he wants anyway. I guess i just cant see PB really wanting to sign someone and RD putting a stop to it...

Last edited:
Seems like he is doing what he was doing before (Head of the Academy I believe), but now has extra responsibilities of helping the first team with recruitment and given a new job title.

Don't think much has changed as the article says he has informally been doing this job for a year and they've just given him a new title.

Dont want to seem a killjoy, but seems totally pointless to me. Suits phil brown tho i guess i imagine ricky will quietly and efficiently go about his business.

So the future of sufc and our long term football ethos rests on Ricky Duncans shoulders? Or will Brown do what he wants anyway. I guess i just cant see PB really wanting to sign someone and RD putting a stop to it...

I don't see as pointless and definitely the better choice over Stan. Between PB RD and CF they will know a lot about a player or will know someone who has managed, coached or even played alongside. All important avenues when deciding on a player.

If a player is offered on loan then RD will already know a lot about him and they will go to watch him and both decide whether he can add something. PB has the sales talk and with Ricky on board that will add extra trust by others heads of an academy.

How we deal with loans is another area where we have to greatly improve. Including us lot in the stands. We really need to cut young lads more slack. Hobson is the perfect example from last season.

Several years too late.

The biggest task will be to ensure there is a Southend blueprint that is followed from the academy, through the 23s into the first team and the head of recruitment. We need to ensure that the mistakes of the past aren't repeated. The good news is that Ricky Duncan has shown he can deliver long term plans, which is an element that has been missing in the first team for too long.

Indeed. The Leicester model is what we should be aiming for. They have a blueprint that means when a new manager is needed, they bring in a manger that fits the blueprint. That way a new manager doesn't need to make wholesale changes to the system or the squad. There is a clear evolution.

We've been guilty of lurching from one manager and philosophy to another, which has lead to wholesale changes every few years. As we have proved, that simply isn't sustainable.

more like will PB be happy if Tom says no to his spending

It doesn't work like that. PB will be given a budget of a set amount and its up to him how wisely he spends it. There will be restrictions on maximum per week etc.

PB RD and Tom will work alongside each other to get the best out of that budget.

The main difference for us this season is from what i'm told no set transfer window?. I know in the past when SK and PB worked together the budget was adjusted for January depending on how we were doing.

In the NL we wont know yet how the fans respond. Win our first 3 and within a month that budget maybe signing another striker but lose all 3 and every match thread will be 50 pages long.

It doesn't work like that. PB will be given a budget of a set amount and its up to him how wisely he spends it. There will be restrictions on maximum per week etc.

PB RD and Tom will work alongside each other to get the best out of that budget.

The main difference for us this season is from what i'm told no set transfer window?. I know in the past when SK and PB worked together the budget was adjusted for January depending on how we were doing.

In the NL we wont know yet how the fans respond. Win our first 3 and within a month that budget maybe signing another striker but lose all 3 and every match thread will be 50 pages long.

A budget ? :Hilarious:

Indeed. The Leicester model is what we should be aiming for. They have a blueprint that means when a new manager is needed, they bring in a manger that fits the blueprint. That way a new manager doesn't need to make wholesale changes to the system or the squad. There is a clear evolution.

We've been guilty of lurching from one manager and philosophy to another, which has lead to wholesale changes every few years. As we have proved, that simply isn't sustainable.

Equally the Wycombe model has worked just as well. They kept faith in one manger whilst we have had 6. We have signed more backroom staff, than Ainsworth has signed in players.

Equally the Wycombe model has worked just as well. They kept faith in one manger whilst we have had 6. We have signed more backroom staff, than Ainsworth has signed in players.
You can settle on a style (maybe let's say football "a la Bond"). And so stick with it through thick and thin. Every failure blamed on the manager. At what point do you sack the DoF? When you are in the 5th tier, 6th tier, 7th tier? I suspect fans would be up in arms about a DoF who was 'in charge" but effectively hiding behind successive managers.
In hindsight should have changed the players not PB when it went wrong. Again a la Wycombe.

You can settle on a style (maybe let's say football "a la Bond"). And so stick with it through thick and thin. Every failure blamed on the manager. At what point do you sack the DoF? When you are in the 5th tier, 6th tier, 7th tier? I suspect fans would be up in arms about a DoF who was 'in charge" but effectively hiding behind successive managers.
In hindsight should have changed the players not PB when it went wrong. Again a la Wycombe.

In the PL league its cheaper to change mangers than players. In the lower leagues the likes of Sol and his crew cost far more than the players.

Reactions: GBJ
The Wycombe model doesn't work equally as well so maybe if you did a little basic homework you would understand that it is a statistical fact that a manager lasts on average 14 months across English , so choosing Wycombe as the exception that doesn't prove the rule is exactly why we are in the position we are in.

Welcome, great start. I will look out for you advice.

CEO runs club top to bottom, will also include all areas such as finance, marketing, sales as well as the football side.

DOF is specifically focussed on the football side of things putting a structure around all things from 1st team down to youth, creating pathway from youth to first team and a way of playing. Also would be involved in the buying of players for the 1st team ensuring they fit into the overall structure of the type of player the club want to attract.

Vastly different roles.

I think finding out Tom's responsibilities will be a great question for the next zoom call. With PB and RD retaining reporting lines into RM, I'm not sure our new CEO has the traditional CEO role. Maybe more focussing on the operational, ex football, side of things. As I say, be good to find out in the next zoom call.

I think finding out Tom's responsibilities will be a great question for the next zoom call. With PB and RD retaining reporting lines into RM, I'm not sure our new CEO has the traditional CEO role. Maybe more focussing on the operational, ex football, side of things. As I say, be good to find out in the next zoom call.
I don’t think it’s a question of reporting to Ron- it’s having an environment where for example PB can engage with RM without the CEO getting bent out of shape- a World for the grown ups if you like. But as you say it will be interesting to hear Tom’s take on the new structure and how it will work.

I don’t think it’s a question of reporting to Ron- it’s having an environment where for example PB can engage with RM without the CEO getting bent out of shape- a World for the grown ups if you like. But as you say it will be interesting to hear Tom’s take on the new structure and how it will work.
Yeah but it's not fair if PB, RM and RD keep going for a pint and Tom doesn't get invited. Maybe they even start a new what's app group and the old one with Tom on doesn't get used so much. Would make me a bit paranoid, I'd start drinking 12 cans of Galahad at home on my own every night just to cope. It could destroy the new lad psychologically. What I'd like to hear is that they all met up at Rayleigh Lodge for a nice carvery say every Friday lunchtime. Now that's what I call grown up.

Yeah but it's not fair if PB, RM and RD keep going for a pint and Tom doesn't get invited. Maybe they even start a new what's app group and the old one with Tom on doesn't get used so much. Would make me a bit paranoid, I'd start drinking 12 cans of Galahad at home on my own every night just to cope. It could destroy the new lad psychologically. What I'd like to hear is that they all met up at Rayleigh Lodge for a nice carvery say every Friday lunchtime. Now that's what I call grown up.
Don’t worry I think Tom is in the circle of trust...

Back