• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP David Bowie

We've lost a true genius. I don't tend to get too upset about the passing of people I've never met, but this one really hit me. Lucky enough to have two Bowie-mad parents, so his music was very much the soundtrack of my childhood.

And while we're here, my favourite David Bowie track...

[video=youtube;O8oGyGo1q-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oGyGo1q-k[/video]

We've lost a true genius. I don't tend to get too upset about the passing of people I've never met, but this one really hit me. Lucky enough to have two Bowie-mad parents, so his music was very much the soundtrack of my childhood.

And while we're here, my favourite David Bowie track...

[video=youtube;O8oGyGo1q-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oGyGo1q-k[/video]

Likewise, I was introduced to him by my mum, brought up on his 70's stuff. I was lucky enough to see him in the early 00's at Wembley Arena. My wife is a HUGE Bowie fan, and it's fair to say she's given me a fresh appreciation of him, where I now love his music more than ever, 80's Bowie is currently my favourite era, but Rebel Rebel will always be the song I love the most since I was a kid.

Monday morning sucks even more. For me his lyrics are what really stand out. Original, poignant, witty, damn right odd sometime but could not have been written by anyone else.

Monday morning sucks even more. For me his lyrics are what really stand out. Original, poignant, witty, damn right odd sometime but could not have been written by anyone else.

Indeed.

Saw someone on twitter say "no one has ever been called 'The new David Bowie'"

Brett Anderson... in his ****ing dreams.

If anyone had said that, I'm sure Brett Anderson would have been the first to tell them to **** off.

I'm reminded of the David Bowie exhibition I went to at the V&A a couple of years ago. There was some writing that talked about Bowie's influence and one thing that stuck in my mind was along the lines of..."Bowie is there...in every single thought that ever entered Noel Fielding's head"

If anyone had said that, I'm sure Brett Anderson would have been the first to tell them to **** off.

I'm reminded of the David Bowie exhibition I went to at the V&A a couple of years ago. There was some writing that talked about Bowie's influence and one thing that stuck in my mind was along the lines of..."Bowie is there...in every single thought that ever entered Noel Fielding's head"

That V&A exhibition was brilliant.

Great artist.RIP.

Been playing the new album on MP3 all last week and should have the CD today.

It's all about you even when Bowie pegs out.....:winking:

The first thing I thought about was the impending snore-off queue of C-List celebs saying how "Bowie changed my life" etc etc. He'll be a saint by Saturday......

Drastic™;1821879 said:
Likewise, I was introduced to him by my mum, brought up on his 70's stuff. I was lucky enough to see him in the early 00's at Wembley Arena. My wife is a HUGE Bowie fan, and it's fair to say she's given me a fresh appreciation of him, where I now love his music more than ever, 80's Bowie is currently my favourite era, but Rebel Rebel will always be the song I love the most since I was a kid.

Rebel Rebel was on of my few Bowie purchases , That said , Bowie was a big part of soundtrack of my Youth.

I've never been a fan, but his latest album has been on spotify and I've been loving it, especially Lazarus. Last night, we had spotify on the telly and playing the Beatles, and as usual, I start flicking through acts, genres, etc and see there's the whole oeuvre of Bowie. I realise whilst listening to Changes that I'm mesmerised. A re-discovery maybe? Who knows, but it's always good to listen to good music.

I've never been a fan, but his latest album has been on spotify and I've been loving it, especially Lazarus. Last night, we had spotify on the telly and playing the Beatles, and as usual, I start flicking through acts, genres, etc and see there's the whole oeuvre of Bowie. I realise whilst listening to Changes that I'm mesmerised. A re-discovery maybe? Who knows, but it's always good to listen to good music.

Lazarus is just incredible.

Very sad news...but was not a great fan,but love that record...LIFE ON MARS....but i do wish i knew what he was on about.
RIP Dave Bowie

A word used far to often in the music industry, but David Bowie deserves it

RIP -Genius

The coolest man has left the building

One of the few early 70s superstars to come up the other side of Punk with his status relatively intact (Bolan manged to do it by dying young).
Rebel Rebel , Suffragette City , John I'm only dancing and Life on Mars would be my top 4 , With space oddity and Starman close behind
His cover of Sorrow , from the Pinups LP was particularly good as well

My top three

Heroes- Such an uplifting song

Amsterdam- Weird and Bowie at his experimental best

Boys keep swinging - Great memories of TOTS on a Friday night

Red Sails
Word on a Wing

And a special mention for his cover of Springsteen's "It's Hard to be a Saint in the City" - a rare occurrence of a cover version which surpasses the original...

[video=youtube;_pDYK4Ns-co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDYK4Ns-co[/video]

There are so many great songs, a top 3 is so difficult to choosee, I'll go for:

"Heroes"
Sound and Vision
Space Oddity

There is a documenary on BBC2 tonight, which I have seen before and it is well worth a watch.

Back