• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Phil Chisnall

ozzie

Manager
Very sad news today,that Phil Chisnall has passed away. He was one of my favourite Blues players ever.
Last player to move from Man.U to Liverpool.
He scored my first ever live Blues goal.A top,top player..
As my mate Biffo wrote,our midfield then..Chisnall,Hamilton,Clayton..no wonder us "old uns"moan about todays players

Phil was one of the most skilful players ever to put on a Blues shirt. Although he was not a grafter he could always be a match winner. Was a regular at the old Southend Stadium dog track together with his mate Sammy McMillan. Rip Phil.

FORMER Southend United forward Phil Chisnall has died at the age of 78.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
Remember how excited I was was when we signed Phil back in the summer of 1967. His fee of about £12,000 was a club record at that time? and Phil was a well known player having played for both Manchester United & Liverpool. It was at that time I was travelling to every match both home and away with my good friend & hitch hiking partner Mick and I saw every first team game in both league & cup that Phil played for the club in the 4 seasons he was at Roots Hall. A total of 161 appearances scoring 32 goals this included a couple of goals against Kings Lynn (9-0) in the famous F.A,Cup matches in the 1968-69 season when we also played against Brentwood Town (10-1), Swindon Town (2-0) & Mansfield Town (1-2), he was also a goalscorer in the league cup match away that season at Dean Court Bournemouth who we thrashed 6-1.
After hearing a few years ago that Phil had had a severe stroke I managed to track him down with a lot of help from a journalist up in the Manchester area and then sent his wife Sheila a copy of the DVD "The Team We Call United" she called me to thank me for bringing a ray of sunshine into their live's and they loved seeing all the old footage from almost 50 years ago.
A quality midfield player was Phil Chisnall R.I.P. my friend.

Phil Chisnall will always be one of my all time favourites at Roots Hall. Saw some terrific shooting and passing from the man at a time when I was very young and so impressionable and his skills and talents left a lasting impression on me. No one to compare with him since at the club. RIP Phil and thanks for so many memories.

Phil Chisnall will always be one of my all time favourites at Roots Hall. Saw some terrific shooting and passing from the man at a time when I was very young and so impressionable and his skills and talents left a lasting impression on me. No one to compare with him since at the club. RIP Phil and thanks for so many memories.

He had a fearsome shot on him, that's for sure.

Phil was one of the most skilful players ever to put on a Blues shirt. Although he was not a grafter he could always be a match winner. Was a regular at the old Southend Stadium dog track together with his mate Sammy McMillan. Rip Phil.
My memory is letting me down! Can’t think that Phil ever played at the Old Southend Stadium dog track!

My goodness what a thrill we got when Phil signed for Blues. It seemed inconceivable that he would leave the lofty heights of Liverpool and Man U for a life at Roots Hall. But he did and was a part of that collection of players who gave us such memorable times. So very sad that he has gone at such a relatively young age. Sorry, but when I read of some of our recent signings and the adulation afforded them before even kicking a ball for the club it makes me grateful that at a young age I was following Blues and able to witness the exquisite skills of his like. These memories keep the flame alive. RIP Phil Chisnall. His like do not often appear in the blue of Southend. Gone but never forgotten.

Back