• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
As we enter a new league for the first time in a few years i thought it would be interesting to see/know how our rivals are shaping up towards the new season.

The results i picked up from the weekend are:

Peterboro 3 West Ham 3
Lancaster 1 Blackpool 3
Heybridge 0 Colchester 8

Any others people know of?

As we enter a new league for the first time in a few years i thought it would be interesting to see/know how our rivals are shaping up towards the new season.

The results i picked up from the weekend are:

Peterboro 3 West Ham 3
Lancaster 1 Blackpool 3
Heybridge 0 Colchester 8

Any others people know of?

Pre-season friendly results are just about the worst indicator imaginable as to how a club is going to perform in the League.

Frankly I think a poor pre-season leads to a good season and
a good pre-season leads to a poor season

Should we beat West Ham, Charlton etc. we would go into the season thinking we are world beaters which clearly we are not

Pre-season friendly results are just about the worst indicator imaginable as to how a club is going to perform in the League.

Im not saying otherwise. I just thought it would be interesting to see other results that's all. If people are not interested then happy for the thread to close.

Frankly I think a poor pre-season leads to a good season and
a good pre-season leads to a poor season

Should we beat West Ham, Charlton etc. we would go into the season thinking we are world beaters which clearly we are not

Not sure anyone would think that, if they do then they know little about football. Ive seen on other threads that people are putting us down as play off candidates. Id be happy to just stay up at this stage, anything on top of that is a bonus. Think many are underestimating the quality of League 1. Is is defo a step up on League 2.

For the record, here are the results I can find...

Stalybridge Celtic 0-1 Barnsley
Farsley Celtic 0-3 Bradford
Gresley FC 1-5 Burton / Mickleover Sports 0-0 Burton
Buxton 0-4 Chesterfield / Matlock Town 0-3 Chesterfield
Nuneaton 0-0 Coventry
Congleton 1-3 Crewe / Alsager 1-7 Crewe
Frickley Athletic 0-2 Doncaster
FLEETWOOD: Touring Germany - Will play Borussia Dortmund B &
Alemannia Aachen
Tonbridge Angels 1-2 Gillingham
Chester 0-1 Oldham
Rocester 0-1 Port Vale / Newcastle Town 0-3 Port Vale
AFC Fylde 1-0 Rochdale
Gainsborough Trinity 0-3 Scunthorpe
Market Drayton Town 0-6 Shrewsbury
Swindon
0-4 Everton
Wigan 2-1 Hibs - Played in Spain on Training camp

For the record, here are the results I can find...

Stalybridge Celtic 0-1 Barnsley
Farsley Celtic 0-3 Bradford
Gresley FC 1-5 Burton / Mickleover Sports 0-0 Burton
Buxton 0-4 Chesterfield / Matlock Town 0-3 Chesterfield
Nuneaton 0-0 Coventry
Congleton 1-3 Crewe / Alsager 1-7 Crewe
Frickley Athletic 0-2 Doncaster
FLEETWOOD: Touring Germany - Will play Borussia Dortmund B &
Alemannia Aachen
Tonbridge Angels 1-2 Gillingham
Chester 0-1 Oldham
Rocester 0-1 Port Vale / Newcastle Town 0-3 Port Vale
AFC Fylde 1-0 Rochdale
Gainsborough Trinity 0-3 Scunthorpe
Market Drayton Town 0-6 Shrewsbury
Swindon
0-4 Everton
Wigan 2-1 Hibs - Played in Spain on Training camp

Looking at that lot I would think that Southend and Swindon are in for a brilliant season if DoDTS is to be believed. And why not?

Blackpool's performances should be interesting , having brought in 8 new players and spent close to £250k ( more than anyone else so far in Lge 1 ) on 3 players, whilst having one opening game abandoned by their fans staging a demonstration on the pitch. Would have thought they will take a while to settle?

Frankly I think a poor pre-season leads to a good season and a good pre-season leads to a poor season.

I'd agree with that - the old reverse psychology business.

Should we beat West Ham, Charlton etc. we would go into the season thinking we are world beaters which clearly we are not.

I know people say the world is getting smaller ........... but not that small that Charlton and Wham! are to be considered as beacons of the world standard of football. :unsure:

Blackpool's performances should be interesting , having brought in 8 new players and spent close to £250k ( more than anyone else so far in Lge 1 ) on 3 players, whilst having one opening game abandoned by their fans staging a demonstration on the pitch. Would have thought they will take a while to settle?

Their first game is away at Colchester - I wonder what precautions they will be taking to ensure there is no pitch invasion should the game not go the way the Blackpool fans desire. :sad:

Their first game is away at Colchester - I wonder what precautions they will be taking to ensure there is no pitch invasion should the game not go the way the Blackpool fans desire. :sad:

Blackpool supporters are not being disruptive because of the "way the game is going". They are quite rightly trying to remove their odious chairman from the club.

Blackpool supporters are not being disruptive because of the "way the game is going". They are quite rightly trying to remove their odious chairman from the club.

True enough Mick but I would expect a pitch invasion is unlikely if they are 3 nil up BUT odds on if they are losing 3 nil. Presumably their Football Intelligence (oxymoron?) person will know/make the risk assessment.

True enough Mick but I would expect a pitch invasion is unlikely if they are 3 nil up BUT odds on if they are losing 3 nil. Presumably their Football Intelligence (oxymoron?) person will know/make the risk assessment.

Surely regardless of the situation a pitch invasion is not the way forward. Im guessing it is a majority that want the owner out but a minority that invade the pitch. How would any of you feel if you made the trip to Fleetwood for example only to have the game abandoned due to a pitch invasion? I know how i would feel. Im sure the Huddersfield fans that made the journey last game of the season, albeit not that far considering were less than pleased when the game got abandoned. There are ways and means im sure, but pitch invasion shouldnt be the answer.

I disagree. The match that was abandoned came after one of their more successful 45 minutes; they hadn't conceded a goal - a rarity for them last season.

Just interesting to see 4 clubs have brought in 29 players since 1st June, 2 of whom were promoted with us ( Burton 7, Shrewsbury 7, Blackpool 8 and Rotherham 7 . Again wonder if they will gel quickly? As has been said before on here its about quality rather than numbers?

Have to agree with this, doing well in pre-season will never be a true reflection of how a team will perform in their season (how did we do last pre season out of interest?). A good example of how pre season form doesn't give a true reflection of how a team will perform that season would be Col Ewe winning 8-0 in pre season..... :whistling:

Back