• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm willing to bet I was the only supporter at the 3-2 defeat in 1973. I was staying at a pal's in Liverpool and the trek to Rochdale via Manchester, two trains, and two taxis was ridiculous even for that time.
Was late, turnstiles closed after five minutes, but an enterprising youngster showed me a hole in the Spotland fence for a £1.
Had a chat with old schoolpal Dave Barnett after the game.

I'm willing to bet I was the only supporter at the 3-2 defeat in 1973. I was staying at a pal's in Liverpool and the trek to Rochdale via Manchester, two trains, and two taxis was ridiculous even for that time.
Was late, turnstiles closed after five minutes, but an enterprising youngster showed me a hole in the Spotland fence for a £1.
Had a chat with old schoolpal Dave Barnett after the game.

Really ??? How much ?

It was the last Saturday of the season and was Dave Barnett's last ever game for Southend (or part of game as he was substituted by Tommy Horsfall).

Was there again in 1967-68 winning 1-0 with a goal by Johnny Mac, there was snow on the terraces and can clearly remember John"Miggs"McGill rolling about in the snow when we scored the only goal.

Bloody cold as I recall, with the heating not working as usual, on our "luxury" Supreme coach. Happy days! :smile:

Been at least twice,maybe 3 times.
IT was either the 72-73 or 73-74 season,my Uncle lived near there for a short while,i got up there a few days before the game,stayed with him and got my cousin to go with me(he was about 10?? then),a day before to visit the ground.told him to be "look out" while i let them know that "Sarfend" were coming:smile:.As usual,i think only a Brother Grimm coach and myself was there.
The best time was though,76 ,crap game,but Joe and myself went up on a friday,stayed in a pub-hotel in Bacup that night,great night,great beer...also after hours drinking.Their "shrimpers club" was ok,after the game,left Bacup late saturday evening,got home maybe early sunday morning...great days:smile:

Kev has mentioned the 1980 2-0 win. I was there and my memory was having a game of football with rochdale lads in one of the ends, the goals were the roof supports and it must have been 20 a side. It was a great laugh in fact we carried on playing while the game went ahead. Until plod came along and took the ball off us game over. ( I think we won as well)

Really ??? How much ?

It was the last Saturday of the season and was Dave Barnett's last ever game for Southend (or part of game as he was substituted by Tommy Horsfall).

Nice one, Mick! So there it is: TWO of us. Forgot to add I also picked up a priceless LP while waiting at Manchester Victoria that I was also toting around during the game

Really ??? How much ?

King Billy Best last game and goal for Southend United .

Back