• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron Speaks

re: McCormack's bid; I can't see how we could have accepted. Leaving aside the amount and some people's doubt as to whether it actually happened or not, it was made on deadline day leaving us very little time to get a replacement. Sawyer's injured, Christophe's suspended (albeit for one match), Betsy's gone, Scannell's not fit, that would have left us with Grant, JFC, Moussa, Scannell and O'Keefe in midfield.

Nice swerve, but you nor the club have managed to explain why Priors monies were not paid.

Care to do so?

Of course the club should have paid him what he was owed, but I do not know the facts and neither do you.

Was there a dispute of some sort? I don't know maybe Ron is a prize tw**. The accountant was on maternity leave? Maybe there is a good reason which even 'foot in mouth' GK was wise enough not to mention in his 'fabulous' interview with the Echo. Maybe Little Havens were on the clubs case to settle what was owed, and Ron saw a PR opportunity and a chance to stich the Echo up.

What we do know is that Ron has just given Little Havens 10K, which he didn't have to do, as 4k would have been more than enough (the whole takings from the testimonial) even if just for PR reasons.

He could have even given them 5K, which is still 1K more than the takings and suggested Spinner put the remaining 50% into their coffers?

Can you explain therefore why he chose to give the sum of 10K?

What are you talking about?

If someone takes a newspaper to court (which happens a lot) and all the journalist can say is, 'well he is a respected ex player and we took his word in good faith your honour' will the judge say 'oh that's all right then, it's Spinner, he used to play for them, case dismissed'!

That's naive to say the least. Newspapers regularly record conversations with witnesses, ask for written evidence, put hidden cameras in seedy dungeons (Max Moseley) etc etc..

I know they're a tin pot small fry local paper, but there's no need to act like one. Looks like Ron is demanding more than an apology and it could cost the Echo a lot more than the extra revenue generated from their story, and quite rightly so.

Imagine how you would feel if they (allegedly) made up, or embellished a story about you or your family, and splashed it all over the front of your local paper. Unless of course your mate Dave, from the pub (well respected in the Dog and Duck) gave them the story, then I suppose that would be allright?

The worse thing about the press is when they're forced to apologise, the apology is normally about one hundreth the size of the initial article, and is normally hidden away in a tiny corner of page 13 on a very slow news day.

Phil, as with everything, things are rarely black and white. If someone came to me with a story like the one you have suggested, allegations against family etc I would never go to print unless I could stack it up with an official body like the police. Even then we'd have to be very careful. Newspapers have strict guidelines to adhere to, not only legally, but the Press Complaints Commission says local papers must publish responsibly.

If for example someone came to me and said he had been attacked in the street, I would have to get it checked out with the police first to make sure he wasn't making it up.

Prior has made a serious allegation, and the Echo have decided to go to print. Their legal defence would be that they took Prior's word in good faith and that they published without malice and in the public interest. They wrote a balanced article which obtained comments from the club before publishing. Ron may get them on factual inaccuracies if there were any but as I say, the Echo would have had to consider this carefully before going to print. Ron suggests they knew there were inaccuracies, which I severely doubt seeing as it would make no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Where does the figure of £10k come from that Spencer 'owes' Little Havens.

Correct me if I'm wrong (wouldnt be the first), but I thought Spencer was going to give a % of the testimonial profits. I dont think even a % figure was mentioned - just that it was an agreement that he had with them.

All of a sudden, Prior is being made out to be the bad guy, by with-holding £10k from Little Havens.

Guess Rons riposte has had the EXACT effect it intended on some people!

Last edited:
Of course the club should have paid him what he was owed, but I do not know the facts and neither do you.

Was there a dispute of some sort? I don't know maybe Ron is a prize tw**. The accountant was on maternity leave? Maybe there is a good reason which even 'foot in mouth' GK was wise enough not to mention in his 'fabulous' interview with the Echo. Maybe Little Havens were on the clubs case to settle what was owed, and Ron saw a PR opportunity and a chance to stich the Echo up.

What we do know is that Ron has just given Little Havens 10K, which he didn't have to do, as 4k would have been more than enough (the whole takings from the testimonial) even if just for PR reasons.

He could have even given them 5K, which is still 1K more than the takings and suggested Spinner put the remaining 50% into their coffers?

Can you explain therefore why he chose to give the sum of 10K?

If Rons to be believed then he didnt want SUFC to be associated with a debt to a charity despite it being not an SUFC obligation, no such problem with the taxman however.

Doesn't really mention the match. I presume that Herd will start so that Francis can stay on the right and Barrett can stay in the middle.

You may be right but having said that I also wouldn't be surprised to see Franno out of position with Sankofa in at RB as Tilly obviously doesn't think Herd is ready yet. Personally if it was me I'd keep everyone in position and play Herd LB tomorrow.

Presumably (and I don't get the Echo so I won't know) the Echo will match Ron's £10k payment to LH with one of their own....?

Also quite fitting after their display and tactics at RH, should anyone 'fit' Millwall's style and ability to attract cards than it has to be Macca!

Phil, as with everything, things are rarely black and white. If someone came to me with a story like the one you have suggested, allegations against family etc I would never go to print unless I could stack it up with an official body like the police. Even then we'd have to be very careful. Newspapers have strict guidelines to adhere to, not only legally, but the Press Complaints Commission says local papers must publish responsibly.

If for example someone came to me and said he had been attacked in the street, I would have to get it checked out with the police first to make sure he wasn't making it up.

Prior has made a serious allegation, and the Echo have decided to go to print. Their legal defence would be that they took Prior's word in good faith and that they published without malice and in the public interest. They wrote a balanced article which obtained comments from the club before publishing. Ron may get them on factual inaccuracies if there were any but as I say, the Echo would have had to consider this carefully before going to print. Ron suggests they knew there were inaccuracies, which I severely doubt seeing as it would make no sense whatsoever.

Agreed but you know as well as I do that newspapers rarely give their 'targets' enough time to fully respond to the allegations they are about to print. You know what they do: ('We tried to reach Ron in his office at 2am in the morning, 5 mins before going to print).

There is a good reason for this which I explained in my post. The Echo get to sell a load more copies by putting this kind of story on the front page. They may then have to apologise or retract their comments when the facts become known, by way of a tiny apology on a slow news day, but by then the damage is done.

People, including fans who do not go on the OS or look at this site, will forever have yesterday's headlines etched in their minds, even if it turns out to be false. (It looks like there are already some serious inaccuracies).

It is fortunate for Ron that he is able to give his side of the story to a lot of the people who matter the most, otherwise the Echo's apology would go unnoticed by the majority.

If it turns out the Echo have deliberately printed an article which they knew to be inaccurate, or if it can be proved that they acted in an improper manner by not allowing enough time to get the full facts, then I hope he sues their a**es. At the very least it will make them think twice before they print lies about Ron, or anyone else for that matter. And their insurers will bump up their premiums ten fold!

Also, do you think maybe they did act in Malice? There is a bit of history between the club and Ron. And, although they could say the story is in the public's interest, it is not such an important story whereby another day or two to establish the facts would have made any difference to the article.

One final point, I think there is a good possibility that Little Havens first approached the Echo with the story, not Spinner. This might not mean much at first glance, but could mean a lot!

By the way, are you sure you're not Chris Phillips?

The statement from Ron certainly makes me feel better and I'm not anti-Ron Martin, however.....

...I'll sit and wait in judgement before declaring that my mind is put completely at ease. Ron is as good at PR as Geoffrey King is bad and could be pulling the wool over our eyes. I hope he isn't and hope all he says is true but at the end of the day he is a property developer in charge of a football club and history shows us that's not a good mix. His call for unity behind the team is right and should be listened to. However every move the club makes should still be scrutinised by fans and questions should always be asked. If anything has come out of these Echo's stories then it's been made it evident to Ron Martin and co that the fans will be constantly watching his every move very closely - that's a good thing in my book.

All a load of crap and all the signs is that Ron's a desperate man.

You people on here make me laugh as you were all up in arms and all of a sudden Ron's your best friend again with a PR stunt.

Had enough this time and it won't wash with me, Ron and King out.

Agreed!

RM had to come out and say something didn't he!

RM and GK are both as bad as each other.

Yeah, so let's throw 'em both out, pair of dirty rats.

Hold on, who'll actually run the club? :stunned:

Fed up with all the broken promises, all the talk about a non-existant warchest, signing players (not), the new stadium. Lets just face it, the club are broke and have been seriously mis-managed in the finance dept.

All the club seem to want is money, money, money!!!

The pointless share issue, lottery tickets, getting your season ticket money on the quick with promises about Tilson being given X amount of £'s in the transfer window.

Agreed but you know as well as I do that newspapers rarely give their 'targets' enough time to fully respond to the allegations they are about to print. You know what they do: ('We tried to reach Ron in his office at 2am in the morning, 5 mins before going to print).

There is a good reason for this which I explained in my post. The Echo get to sell a load more copies by putting this kind of story on the front page. They may then have to apologise or retract their comments when the facts become known, by way of a tiny apology on a slow news day, but by then the damage is done.

People, including fans who do not go on the OS or look at this site, will forever have yesterday's headlines etched in their minds, even if it turns out to be false. (It looks like there are already some serious inaccuracies).

It is fortunate for Ron that he is able to give his side of the story to a lot of the people who matter the most, otherwise the Echo's apology would go unnoticed by the majority.

If it turns out the Echo have deliberately printed an article which they knew to be inaccurate, or if it can be proved that they acted in an improper manner by not allowing enough time to get the full facts, then I hope he sues their a**es. At the very least it will make them think twice before they print lies about Ron, or anyone else for that matter. And their insurers will bump up their premiums ten fold!

Also, do you think maybe they did act in Malice? There is a bit of history between the club and Ron. And, although they could say the story is in the public's interest, it is not such an important story whereby another day or two to establish the facts would have made any difference to the article.

One final point, I think there is a good possibility that Little Havens first approached the Echo with the story, not Spinner. This might not mean much at first glance, but could mean a lot!

By the way, are you sure you're not Chris Phillips?

Yes I'm sure I'm not Chris Phillips. I do work on a newspaper though, although not the Echo. I do know Chris and know he, nor Prior, would make any of this up out of malice.

There are a lot of misconceptions about the local press that I'm too tired to try and put right - I'm not going to go on some kind of crusade - people have their own opinions on the way newspapers work and I can see why people think like that. But if you had, say a week in a local newsroom I think you'd be very surprised at how journalists work. In four years I've never known anyone to fabricate anything or make something up just for a good story.

At the end of the day, Prior would not have come to the Echo unless it was with a heavy heart, the club means a lot to him. The Echo would have considered whether to print this story carefully because as you point out there could be legal ramifications.

As for people having headlines etched into their brains, shouldn't the reader be intelligent enough to make their own minds up? Each newspaper has to have a front page. You can't just leave it blank. The biggest story goes there, it's kind of a tradition. If it were just on the back page, would people have been happier?

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your opening paragraph seeing as the club did respond?

Fed up with all the broken promises, all the talk about a non-existant warchest, signing players (not), the new stadium. Lets just face it, the club are broke and have been seriously mis-managed in the finance dept.

All the club seem to want is money, money, money!!!

The pointless share issue, lottery tickets, getting your season ticket money on the quick with promises about Tilson being given X amount of £'s in the transfer window.

Hold on a moment. I don't remember any promises being made.

He certainly didn't promise that we were going to sign players. He said the club are desperately trying to sign certain players and for whatever reason that hasn't happened. That's not a promise, that's an intention.

And do you know for a fact Tilly has been given diddly squat for transfers? No. Perhaps he's been given X amount to spend but unfortunately those players that Tilly deems as the right ones are out of our price range.

Not once have I ever heard RM promise anything, nothing whatsoever. I think the man is far to shrewd to promise things that ultimately and to a certain extent out of his control. ie players agents demands, economic downturn etc.

I do believe that to some on this board no matter what happens at the club, new stadium, new signings, promotion etc they would still find something to gripe about and wouldn't be truly happy until we all went back to the 80's & 90's with gates of 3,000, The North Bank terracing and not a female to be seen inside the ground.

And speaking of malice, I'm just playing devil's advocate here but the Echo may have far more of a case for being a victim of malice than an aggressor, Ron's statement is hardly subtle - who's to say he couldn't be done for libel?

I'm sorry Phil but as much as I feel you have made some decent points I can't agree with you on a lot of them - being in a privileged position of knowing what things are like inside a newsroom I think several of them just aren't valid and are based on prejudices you believe to be true about the local media. If you do or have worked for a local paper then maybe I'll change my view.

Sadly a lot of fans feel the same and will always take Ron's word at face value no matter what he says. The Echo needs to keep asking questions.

Back