• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

roughest pub you have ever had the misfortune to enter!?!

stu blue

Schoolboy
i think i may have been in the roughest pub i have ever stumbled across in recent years (and i have visited a few public houses in my time, but dont tell the misses)...i will not mention the drinking establishment for fear of upsetting fellow shrimpers who may be from that area, but any tales of dirty dives visited will be much appreciated to help me get over this horrific night....thanks!!

i think i may have been in the roughest pub i have ever stumbled across in recent years (and i have visited a few public houses in my time, but dont tell the misses)...i will not mention the drinking establishment for fear of upsetting fellow shrimpers who may be from that area, but any tales of dirty dives visited will be much appreciated to help me get over this horrific night....thanks!!

I have been in a very rough pub but I'm not saying which one either.

when i lived in southend the worst had to be motels down the seafront, £1 for a pint, always kicked off in there. foresters arms down the front was ropey too, used to go there when younger because of the beer "garden" (was to young to be served or see the strippers inside).

theres also a **** one near coventrys old ground, that was an absolute dive (went there with arsenal), quite literally no furniture, just an empty room

How about the 'Old Shant' in Stifford Clays.....properly grim.
I also have a theory that EVERY pub with a flat roof is best avoided...check the theory out for integrity sometime!

I lived in Cyprus for a number of years and when out one evening driving about we stumbled into this pub called 'Red Arrows' anyway it looked ok from the outside went in and then it all went ****shaped. Went to the bar and got surrounded by 20-25 blokes as we asked for 2 bottles of carlsberg. Barmaid paused for ages i started to back away as i knew this wasn't a good idea as the mob got closer. Cut a long story short spent 5 minutes in there drinking my £10 bottle of carlsberg and left with the crowd still around us. Found out sometime later that this bar was a no go for English as it was the local brothel. I think they were checking out to see if we were squaddies which we weren't.

How about the 'Old Shant' in Stifford Clays.....properly grim.
I also have a theory that EVERY pub with a flat roof is best avoided...check the theory out for integrity sometime!

I've tested that theory, and confirm that the Lighthouse in Benfleet is a complete dump.

I went in one last night and a guy sitting at the bar gave me the most piercing look from the one eye in the middle of his forehead. Where was eye ?

Years ago went to see England play Wales at Cardiff, a few of us went into the Ninian Park Arms right by the ground, we were waiting ages to get served, when we complained the barmen told us we would only be served when there wasn't one welshman waiting to be served. Suddenly there were loads of welsh tw*ts with dragon flags chanting in our faces and we decided to take our custom elsewhere.

and also the Sutton Arms in Southend....

Is that the one on Southchurch Road near where Cash Converters / the music shop etc is? If so, that is the one pub where I nearly got in a fight before even entering, and the beer in there was off, probably a few years ago, was just before seeing 8MM in the cinema if that helps date it!! Is the pub still there?

ahh motels, down pier hill...a very classy establishment and only 99p a pint back in the day, wonder why!?! the forresters, was that the pub up near the kersaal with perspex windows...if so was definitely one to avoid!!

oh and the railway in pitsea (not prittlewell!!) years ago, not sure what it is like now? wipe your feet on the way out....

The railway in Pitsea nowadays is shut down...

:unsure:

Made a hasty retreat from there when I was 16, some ejit took exception to me and a mate winning on the fruit machine and pulled a knife on us.

Happy days.

Last edited:
It was a long time ago but I once went in to the Minerva (next to the Kursaal) on a Friday night with 3 mates and ordered 4 lemonades.

Still not sure why we did it, but we survived!

Blimey, getting all nostalgic now. Never had a problem in the Railway, Pitsea.

Used to drink in The Castle in Wickford a bit, had a reputation but I only had trouble there once.

Did go to Mr Bs (Southend seafront) one night after a meal. Mate and I suited and booted, only to end up in a Punk night! As I said to my mate "If it's really all about non conforming, then I think we're ok" wasn't a bad night too.

We were playing Portsmouth away, Fry was manager & I remember was when we had Joe Allon on loan.

I drowned my sorrows in the pub where that annoying winker rings the bell; got absolutely wasted on real ale.

Me & my mate somehow ended up at a fancy dress night in a Southsea dive called 'The Viking'- run by a pair of gays.

I came to my senses sitting on a bar stool with this one legged bird perched on my lap trying to toss me off through my trousers with the gays plying me with some insipid fruit liquer.

I made a run for it (leaving my mate behind) after someone bricked the window hitting one of the gayboys Mum's in the head.

Awful,awful night.

Think we lost 2-1...

Last edited:
Back