• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1, Heat 9 - Mad Men v Band Of Brothers

Mad Men or Band Of Brothers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad Men: 5 series of utter flawless perfection, highlighting a time in American Society when things were rapidly changing. Don Draper, a liar and a cheat of dubious moral values but women want him and men want to be him. Set in the glamorous world of advertising in 1950's/60's Madison Avenue, it is absolutely spot on in it's representation according to those who worked there. The men drank and smoked hard, the women fought their way out of the kitchens and the typing pools. Racism and anti-semitism was endemic.

A cast of brilliant characters - Roger Sterling, Layne Price, Joan Holloway, Peggy Olson...and so on. This is far more than the Don Draper show.

Highly critically acclaimed and the winner of many awards....vote Mad Men!

Joan Holloway....

joan+holloway+blog+LIZ+SULLIVAN.jpg

Mrs Draper No.2

Emmy_Nominations_Mad_Men-08f90.jpg

I would rate Band of Brothers as second only to The Wire. Closely based on true experiences, the stuff these blokes had to endure makes the sort of things we moan about today seem so insignificant. These men were true Hero’s.

Band of Brothers had the biggest budget for a TV series ever at the time, costing $125 million for just 10 episodes. This has only been beaten by its successor The Pacific. From the team that created Saving Private Ryan, the show looks absolutely amazing and the level of detail is incredible.

At times watching some episodes, the Bastogne one in particular always stick out in my mind, it felt like you were there dodging the shells and the machine gun fire and it bought home what the real E company and everyone else involved in D-Day had to go through.

In short BOB is one of the most enthralling, gripping shows I've ever seen.

Attachments

• cast-of-band-of-brothers-5.jpg
    cast-of-band-of-brothers-5.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Wallpaper-band-of-brothers-32444116-1280-720.jpg
    Wallpaper-band-of-brothers-32444116-1280-720.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Wallpaper-band-of-brothers-32444146-1920-1080.jpg
    Wallpaper-band-of-brothers-32444146-1920-1080.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
You want war? Don's extremely complex character is built around his Korean War service. I won't ruin it for those who haven't partaken, but it's pivotal to the entire story and how he becomes the man he is.

BOB was good, I watched the box-set, I can't disagree, but Mad Men is soooo much more complex than a valiant war story. It's about to begin it's 6th series. I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to start at Episode 1 and work you way through them. You're in for one hell of a treat.

A valiant war story?

BOB is a portrayal of the sacrifice hundreds of thousands of men made to liberate Europe. If it failed we wouldn't be here now!

A valiant war story?

BOB is a portrayal of the sacrifice hundreds of thousands of men made to liberate Europe. If it failed we wouldn't be here now!

Well to be fair it focuses on Easy Company, it's not really a history documentary, and as like any drama, I'm sure some things have been tweaked for TV - but I'm not saying it's a bad mini-series, just not as memorable (for me) as many other TV programmes such as Mad Men.

The series focuses on E Company, yes, but hundreds of thousands of men went through similar experiences.

Its not a documentary but they tried to make it is as accurate as it was possible to be.

Oh bollox to it, gloves off :winking:

Babe count Band of Brothers: 0
Babe count Mad Men: Lots.

Betty Draper.

betty.jpg

Peggy Olson (ok, acquired taste).

628x471.jpg

Jane Sterling.

janesiegal.jpg

MK. Ive not seen Mad Men but im sure its great. However, it wont beat the second best show of all time so you might as well quit gracefully while you are behind.

MK. Ive not seen Mad Men but im sure its great. However, it wont beat the second best show of all time so you might as well quit gracefully while you are behind.

Ain't over until the fat lady (Betty series 5) sings! :raspberry:

Sorry Paul, Band of Brothers is possible one of the greatest tv series I have ever watched. So it gets my vote and I'm tipping it to go all the way to the final.

Lt Spears running through that fire fight straight past the Germans to liaise with the other company and then running back has to be one of my favourite moments.

Lt Spears running through that fire fight straight past the Germans to liaise with the other company and then running back has to be one of my favourite moments.

Damn you Ricey, I'm going to have to find the DVD and watch it again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back