• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 11

Round 11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
A quirky cultish battle for round 11. My very own Joel & Ethan Coen take on David Lynch (DaveWebbsBrain)

Evidence to follow :)

From their first film (Blood Simple) in 1984, Joel and Ethan Coen have shown that they are masters of their craft. Subsequent films gave us the screwball comedies of Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, not to mention the darker films of Millers Crossing and No Country For Old Men.

Their film also cross genres such as Fargo, the recent Burn After Reading and Barton Fink.

They're multi-oscar winners and worthy of a place in the last 16.

David Lynch, Director, produced and writer of the cult Twin Peaks. Anyone who watched this series must have been amazed with the goings on, fantastic in all aspects.

Much more great and quirky direction from Lynch including the early Eraserhead:

Is it a nightmare or an actual view of a post-apocalyptic world? Set in an industrial town in which giant machines are constantly working, spewing smoke, and making noise that is inescapable, Henry Spencer lives in a building that, like all the others, appears to be abandoned. The lights flicker on and off, he has bowls of water in his dresser drawers, and for his only diversion he watches and listens to the Lady in the Radiator sing about finding happiness in heaven. Henry has a girlfriend, Mary X, who has frequent spastic fits. Mary gives birth to Henry's child, a frightening looking mutant, which leads to the injection of all sorts of sexual imagery into the depressive and chaotic mix

to the later Mulholland Drive:

A bright-eyed young actress travels to Hollywood, only to be ensnared in a dark conspiracy involving a woman who was nearly murdered, and now has amnesia because of a car crash. Eventually, both women are pulled into a psychotic illusion involving a dangerous blue box, a director named Adam Kesher, and the mysterious night club Silencio. Written by Anonymous

After a brutal car accident in Los Angeles, California, Rita is the sole survivor but suffers mass amnesia. Wandering into a strangers apartment downtown, her story strangely intertwines with Betty Elms, a perky young woman in search of stardom. However, Betty is intrigued by Rita's situation and is willing to put aside her dreams to pursue this mystery. The two women soon discover that nothing is as it seems in the city of dreams.

If you like strange, weird and quirky, David Lynch is your man.

Loved the Elephant Man. Lucas wanted him to direct Return of the Jedi. Now that would have been something.

Much as I love Fargo, Lynch just has that something extra.

DWB, let's not forget Lost Highway. yep David Lynch is a fruitloop alright, I remember watching Mulholland Drive round a mate's house and the dvd had sheet of clues to help you figure out what the hell was going on.

That said I love the Coen Bros. O Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo, The Big Lebowski all in my top50 movies without even having to think about it.

Coen's for me. I think they ought to win this competition truth be told.

Lynch is a great filmmaker, and for anyone who hasn't seen it I heartily recommend 'A Straight Story', his most straight forward, heartfelt and moving film about a guy riding across America on a lawnmower.

But the Coen's are just special...

I am saving some of Lynch's other work till later (if I get there) but Elephant Man, Lost Highway, Dune etc etc but will still reuse Twin Peaks etc again lol

Interesting fact:

Premiering at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival, Mulholland Drive garnered much acclaim, snagging Lynch the fest's Best Director award (which he shared with Joel Coen for The Man Who Wasn't There), and cementing his career resurgence.

Quite strange that they are paired against each other here, having jointly won the Cannes Best Director award in 2001

Tough draw for me as I like the majority of Lynch's output and Twin Peaks was must see viewing, but even when the Coen's make a "bad" film, it's still vastly superior to the majority of the shlock that comes from Hollywood.

Back