• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 2 Heat 4

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
The second of today's heats is between,

Freddie Mercury - Billericay Blue v Jagger/Richards - Mcnasty.

The only good thing Queen did was inspire punk rock. The Stones are one of THE acts of all time, they took 12 bar delta blues and totally refined it. A wealth of brilliant albums in the 60's (lets ignore Satanic Majesty's), ending with the seminal Exile on Main Street - even when they lost the edge in the 70's, they still managed some great songs.

They may be a bit of a joke these days but at the height of their powers, Jagger/Richards are outstanding.

can't stand those lower middle class yobos.

No need to bring the former Everton defender in to this

article-0-04F6F776000005DC-119_306x396.jpg

The only good thing Queen did was inspire punk rock. The Stones are one of THE acts of all time, they took 12 bar delta blues and totally refined it. A wealth of brilliant albums in the 60's (lets ignore Satanic Majesty's), ending with the seminal Exile on Main Street - even when they lost the edge in the 70's, they still managed some great songs.

They may be a bit of a joke these days but at the height of their powers, Jagger/Richards are outstanding.

They didn't even do that, Punk Rock was inspired by The Sex Pistols, Ramones & the Clash amongst others in the early to mid seventies. Queen were just finding their feet at this time, and have never had any influence on the punk rop scene and most punks, rockers & metal heads have always rejected Queen due to the predominately poppy sound to their music.

They didn't even do that, Punk Rock was inspired by The Sex Pistols, Ramones & the Clash amongst others in the early to mid seventies. Queen were just finding their feet at this time, and have never had any influence on the punk rop scene and most punks, rockers & metal heads have always rejected Queen due to the predominately poppy sound to their music.

Sorry to confuse but what you said it what I meant! :thumbsup:

Very tough draw for the Fredster, but here we go.

Mercury wrote 10 of the 17 songs on Queen's Greatest Hits album: "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Seven Seas of Rhye", "Killer Queen", "Somebody to Love", "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy", "We Are the Champions", "Bicycle Race", "Don't Stop Me Now", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Play the Game".

He also wrote the music for the No.1 single Innuendo, as well as 5 tracks on the album Made in Heaven which was released in 1995, 4 years after his death.

The most notable aspect of his songwriting involved the wide range of genres that he used, which included, among other styles, rockabilly, progressive rock, heavy metal, gospel and disco. As he explained in a 1986 interview, "I hate doing the same thing again and again and again. I like to see what's happening now in music, film and theatre and incorporate all of those things."Compared to many popular songwriters, Mercury also tended to write musically complex material. For example, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is acyclic in structure and comprises dozens of chords. He also wrote six songs from Queen II which deal with multiple key changes and complex material. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", on the other hand, contains only a few chords. Despite the fact that Mercury often wrote very intricate harmonies, he also claimed that he could barely read music.He wrote most of his songs on the piano and used a wide variety of different key signatures.

In addition to his work with Queen, Mercury put out two solo albums and several singles. Although his solo work was not as commercially successful as most Queen albums, the two off-Queen albums and several of the singles debuted in the top 10 of the UK Album Charts. His first solo effort involved his contribution to the Richard "Wolfie" Wolf mix of Love Kills on the 1984 album (the song also used as the end title theme for National Lampoon's "Loaded Weapon") and new soundtrack to the 1926 Fritz Lang film Metropolis. The song, produced by Giorgio Moroder, debuted at the number 10 position in the UK charts.

Mercury's two full albums outside the band were Mr. Bad Guy (1985) and Barcelona (1988). The former is a pop-oriented album that emphasises disco and dance music. "Barcelona" was recorded and performed with the opera singer Montserrat Caballé, whom he had long admired. Mr. Bad Guy debuted in the top ten of the UK Album Charts.In 1993, a remix of "Living on My Own", a single from the album, reached the No.1 position on the UK Singles Charts. The song also garnered Mercury a posthumous Ivor Novello Award. Allmusic critic Eduardo Rivadavia describes Mr. Bad Guy as "outstanding from start to finish" and expressed his view that Mercury "did a commendable job of stretching into uncharted territory". In particular, the album is heavily synthesiser-driven in a way that is not characteristic of previous Queen albums.

Barcelona, recorded with Spanish soprano Montserrat Caballé, combines elements of popular music and opera. Many critics were uncertain what to make of the album; one referred to it as "the most bizarre CD of the year". The album was a commercial success, and the album's title track debuted at the No.8 position in the UK charts and was a hit in Spain.[48] The title track received massive air play as the official hymn of the 1992 Summer Olympics (held in Barcelona one year after Mercury's death). Caballé sang it live at the opening of the Olympics with Mercury's part played on a screen, and again prior to the start of the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final in Barcelona.

In addition to the two solo albums, Mercury released several singles, including his own version of the hit The Great Pretender by The Platters, which debuted at number five in the UK in 1987. In September 2006, a compilation album featuring Mercury's solo work was released in the UK in honour of what would have been his 60th birthday. The album debuted in the top 10 of the UK Album Charts.

In 1981–1983, Mercury recorded several tracks with Michael Jackson, including a demo of "State of Shock", "Victory" and "There Must Be More to Life Than This". None of these collaborations were officially released, although bootleg recordings exist. Jackson went on to record the single "State of Shock" with Mick Jagger for The Jacksons's album Victory.Mercury included the solo version of "There Must Be More To Life Than This" on his Mr. Bad Guy album.

VOTE FREDDIE

Jagger and Richards, two members of the greatest rock and roll band in the world need no introduction. They have been part of my life since the age of 9 in 1963 when I first heard their music and have been a fan ever since. Mr Bulsara, whilst a serious musical talent and a tremendous showman is less known as a song-writer and I appeal to all R & B music lovers to support this duo to even bigger and better things.

The songwriting partnership of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, known as Jagger/Richards (and occasionally Richards/Jagger), is a musical collaboration whose output is the majority of the catalogue of their group, The Rolling Stones.
In addition to Jagger and Richards's songwriting partnership, they have also produced or co-produced numerous Rolling Stones albums under the pseudonym The Glimmer Twins.
Jagger and Richards have different recollections about their first songwriting endeavours, but both credit manager Andrew Loog Oldham as the catalyst for their collaboration. Richards agrees that it was Oldham who pressed the pair to write songs, noting that there weren't that many obscure great songs out there for the band to cover. According to him:
“So what Andrew Oldham did was lock us up in the kitchen for a night and say, 'Don't come out without a song.' We sat around and came up with 'As Tears Go By'. It was unlike most Rolling Stones material, but that's what happens when you write songs, you immediately fly to some other realm. The weird thing is that Andrew found Marianne Faithfull at the same time, bunged it to her and it was a ****in' hit for her - we were songwriters already! But it took the rest of that year to dare to write anything for the Stones. ”
Jagger's version is:
“Keith likes to tell the story about the kitchen, God bless him. I think Andrew may have said something at some point along the lines of 'I should lock you in a room until you've written a song' and in that way he did mentally lock us in a room, but he didn't literally lock us in. One of the first songs we came out with was that tune for George Bean, the very memorable 'It Should Be You'. ”
The first original Jagger/Richards song to be released as the a-side of a Rolling Stones single was "Tell Me (You're Coming Back)", from their debut album. Released as a single in the US only, peaked at number 24 on the charts there. The earlier "Good Times, Bad Times" had been released as the b-side to their cover of Bobby and Shirley Womack's "It's All Over Now". The band's first UK single featuring an a-side Jagger/Richards original was "The Last Time"; released in February 1965, it went to number 1 in the UK and number 9 in the US.
Although most Jagger/Richards compositions have been collaborations, some of the songs credited to the famous partnership have been most frequently solo songwriting from either Jagger, whose examples include "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Brown Sugar", or Richards, whose examples include "Happy" and "Little T&A". This is comparable to the Lennon/McCartney partnership, who also adhered to a tradition of joint credits even on numbers that were written by just one of the pair. As Mick Jagger stated in his comprehensive 1995 interview with Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone magazine, "I think in the end it all balances out."
One of the patterns that the Jagger/Richards collaboration initially followed has been that Jagger wrote most of the lyrics while Richards focused on the music. Jagger discussed this in the same 1995 interview with Wenner, whereby he explained how songs like "Get Off of My Cloud", "As Tears Go By", "Wild Horses", "Tumbling Dice" and "Beast of Burden" were created. He has also pointed out that this pattern was more prevalent in the early 1960s, while in their later collaborations their roles have overlapped more, with both songwriters contributing both lyrics and music.

Jagger/Richards compositions released only by other artists

Some Jagger/Richards compositions have been released only by artists other than The Rolling Stones include:
"That Girl Belongs to Yesterday", a January 1964 single by Gene Pitney
"Will You Be My Lover Tonight"/"It Should Be You", a January 1964 single by George Bean
"Shang a Doo Lang", a March 1964 single by Adrienne Posta
"So Much in Love", an August 1964 single by The Mighty Avengers, also recorded by The Lonely Boys and released in their self-titled 1996 album.
"Act Together", on Ronnie Wood's September 1974 LP I've Got My Own Album to Do and the associated July 1974 The First Barbarians: Live from Kilburn concert (released in October 2007)
"Sure the One You Need", on Wood's I've Got My Own Album to Do and The First Barbarians: Live from Kilburn; and on The New Barbarians' May 1979 concert album Buried Alive: Live in Maryland (released in October 2006).

List of Rolling Stones singles credited to Jagger/Richards

These are the Jagger/Richards songs that have been released as Rolling Stones singles (both A-side and B-sides), and promos, as credited to Jagger/Richards:
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"19th Nervous Breakdown"
"All Down the Line"
"All the Way Down"
"Angie"
"Any Way You Look at It"
"Beast of Burden"
"Before They Make Me Run" (live)
"Biggest Mistake"
"Bitch"
"Break the Spell"
"Brown Sugar"
"Child of the Moon"
"Congratulations"
"Cook Cook Blues"
"Crazy Mama"
"Dance Little Sister"
"Dancing with Mr. D"
"Dandelion "
"Don't Stop"
"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)"
"Down in the Hole"
"Emotional Rescue"
"Fancy Man Blues"
"Far Away Eyes"
"Flip the Switch"
"Fool to Cry"
"Get Off of My Cloud"
"Good Times, Bad Times"
"Gotta Get Away"
"Hang Fire"
"Happy"
"Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?"
"Heart of Stone"
"Highwire"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Hot Stuff"
"Hurricane"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
"I Go Wild"
"I Think I'm Going Mad"
"I'm Free"
"I'm Gonna Drive"
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
"Jiving Sister Fanny"
"Jump on Top of Me"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Lady Jane"
"The Lantern"
"The Last Time"
"Let's Spend the Night Together"
"Little T&A"
"Live with Me"
"Long Long While"
"Love Is Strong"
"Loving Cup"
"Miss You"
"Mixed Emotions"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Monkey Man"
"Neighbours"
"No Expectations"
"Off the Hook"
"Oh No, Not You Again"
"Out of Control"
"Out of Tears"
"Out of Time"
"Paint It, Black"
"Plundered My Soul"
"Rain Fall Down"
"Respectable"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Rough Justice"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Sad Day"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Saint of Me"
"Send It to Me"
"Sex Drive"
"Shattered"
"She's a Rainbow"
"She's So Cold"
"She Was Hot"
"Silver Train"
"The Singer not the Song"
"So Young"
"Sparks Will Fly"
"The Spider and the Fly"
"Start Me Up"
"The Storm"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Streets of Love"
"Stupid Girl"
"Surprise, Surprise"
"Sway"
"Sweet Black Angel"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Tell Me"
"Terrifying"
"Think I'm Going Mad"
"Through the Lonely Nights"
"Too Much Blood"
"Too Tough"
"Try a Little Harder"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Undercover of the Night"
"Waiting on a Friend"
"We Love You"
"What a Shame"
"When the Whip Comes Down"
"Who's Driving Your Plane?"
"Wild Horses"
"Winning Ugly"
"Wish I'd Never Met You"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"You Got Me Rocking"

Production as the Glimmer Twins and origin of the name

Jagger and Richards adopted the nickname "The Glimmer Twins" after a vacation cruise they took to Brazil in December 1968/January 1969 with their then-girlfriends, Marianne Faithfull and Anita Pallenberg. An older English couple on the ship kept asking Richards and Jagger who they were. When they refused to reveal their identities, the woman reportedly kept asking, "just give us a glimmer" (as in "give us a hint about who you are"), which amused Jagger and Richards.
Jagger and Richards began to produce the Stones' albums under the pseudonym "The Glimmer Twins" starting with It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (released in 1974). The Glimmer Twins were the sole credited producers for the band's studio and live albums from that point through "Still Life" (American Concert 1981) (released in 1982). Starting with Undercover (released in 1983), the Glimmer Twins have shared production credit for the Rolling Stones albums with other producers, most frequently Don Was (five times) and Chris Kimsey (three times).
Besides their production work for the Rolling Stones, Jagger and Richards also used the Glimmer Twins for their co-production credit on Peter Tosh's album Bush Doctor, released in 1978. A rare exception to Jagger and Richards's use of the Glimmer Twins name for production credits appeared on John Phillips's Pay, Pack and Follow album, recorded 1973-1979 and released in 2001, for which Jagger and Richards were credited as producers under their own names.

God another hard one. Going fo Freddie due to the fact they were a band that seemed to start slow but got better and better. Never been a massive Stones fan but you can't knock Jagger and Richards for their early work and both will have written songs whcih will forever make you turn up the radio when one of their songs are playing.

If Freddie was still alive I think that I'd rather watch Queen play live than the Stones.

However, how Keith Richards is still alive is a miracle. What a legend.

Though The Stones have been a bit of a cabaret act for several years, the Jagger/Richard songwriting partnership has left us a lot more than Freddie's lifelong cabaret act.

Funny thing is - after the first wave of punk, they came back with a stormer in 'Some Girls' in 1978.

Back