• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sailing to Gillingham on Sat. 1st Oct

Reading Shrimper

First XI
Ok, a few months back I suggested the idea of sailing to Gillingham from Southend pier. It's only a 15 mile trip by sea as opposed to 40 odd by road. I think this would be great fun, and a lot of people agree. But how do we go about organising this? Could the club or the Trust get involved? If we could get enough people to commit to it we could get a deposit together and maybe make this happen!

Yeah i'd be up for it.

BTW you should meet my brother, he is also a shrimper at the university of reading!

Try and contact one of the companies who do Cruises from the top of the pier. They usually go to London for sightseeing (millenium dome, houses of parliament etc) but im sure one of them would be prepared to sail down the medway if enough people got involved.

The Trust looked into this as soon as the fixtures were announced.
The Tides are wrong, and there are no boats available for that day.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 16 2005,15:36)]BTW you should meet my brother, he is also a shrimper at the university of reading!
As was I (albeit six years ago).

Southend played at Reading once when I was there - a 3-2 defeat in our last season in the old Division One. Only £4 to get in though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 16 2005,16:16)]Southend played at Reading once when I was there - a 3-2 defeat in our last season in the old Division One. Only £4 to get in though!
Do you know, I could have sworn that game was a 3-3 draw?

There was defintely some kind of 2nd half fightback from us though, as I remember the away terrace going mental when the 2nd goal went in (I actually almost broke my leg as it got caught in one of the "safety" barriers as everyone surged down the terrace).

It was also memorable for trying to get various Trevor Morley chants going & being asked by Terry Alderton what the specific rumours about Morley & Ian Bishop were!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 16 2005,16:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 16 2005,16:16)]Southend played at Reading once when I was there - a 3-2 defeat in our last season in the old Division One. Only £4 to get in though!

There was defintely some kind of 2nd half fightback from us though, as I remember the away terrace going mental when the 2nd goal went in (I actually almost broke my leg as it got caught in one of the "safety" barriers as everyone surged down the terrace).  

It was also memorable for trying to get various Trevor Morley chants going & being asked by Terry Alderton what the specific rumours about Morley & Ian Bishop were!!!
Just checked Robin Michel's excellent site (http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php)...

There was a 3-3 draw, in March 1996. Willis got two, Rammell the other.

Unfortunately, no data for the following season is available on the site at the moment (my first at uni) but I'm almost certain we lost that one 3-2!

So we're both right I guess
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimperstrust @ Aug. 16 2005,16:06)]The Trust looked into this as soon as the fixtures were announced.
sad.gif
Man, that's a real shame.
Its really unfortunate as Gillingham is so close, yet seemingly so far!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 16 2005,16:50)]
[b said:
[b said:

Just checked Robin Michel's excellent site (http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php)...

Unfortunately, no data for the following season is available on the site at the moment (my first at uni) but I'm almost certain we lost that one 3-2!

smile.gif
I think it must have been the 3-3 game I went to, I'll need to dig out my programme the next time I visit my parents.

Was the game you went to a midweek game?

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

smile.gif
Damn. I was hoping you had left early and had missed one of the most remarkable comebacks of that era. It would have amused me greatly that you were still under the impression that we had lost that game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reading Shrimper @ Aug. 16 2005,17:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimperstrust @ Aug. 16 2005,16:06)]The Trust looked into this as soon as the fixtures were announced.
sad.gif
Man, that's a real shame.
Its really unfortunate as Gillingham is so close, yet seemingly so far!
Catapult?
wink.gif

Any of the original SZ crew remember the cunning STC plan to sail over to the Margate pre-season friendly, embark on a controlled beach landing from a flotilla of ships to the nearest ale house and then on to the game?

Funnily enough it didn't happen! However we DID go down by mini-bus and were mistaken for the SUFC team (I kid ye not!) and allowed to park inside the VIP car-park some three hours before kick-off. Our cunning ruse lasted a matter of seconds until the groundsman noticed that most of us were suffering from the effects of three hours of drinking as we collapsed out of the mini-bus, beer cans and bottles rolling out to his feet. We were then "asked" to move the mini-bus and "disappear". An excellent game of football in the nearby park between 20 or so pi$$ed-up Shrimpers followed ...

WS

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 16 2005,20:15)]Any of the original SZ crew remember the cunning STC plan to sail over to the Margate pre-season friendly, embark on a controlled beach landing from a flotilla of ships to the nearest ale house and then on to the game?

Funnily enough it didn't happen! However we DID go down by mini-bus and were mistaken for the SUFC team (I kid ye not!) and allowed to park inside the VIP car-park some three hours before kick-off. Our cunning ruse lasted a matter of seconds until the groundsman noticed that most of us were suffering from the effects of three hours of drinking as we collapsed out of the mini-bus, beer cans and bottles rolling out to his feet. We were then "asked" to move the mini-bus and "disappear". An excellent game of football in the nearby park between 20 or so pi$$ed-up Shrimpers followed ...

WS

biggrin.gif
Wasted post Mike everyone was reliving the collage years instead of sticking to the original post. I forgot that the trusts word was all knowing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 16 2005,17:28)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

smile.gif
Damn. I was hoping you had left early and had missed one of the most remarkable comebacks of that era. It would have amused me greatly that you were still under the impression that we had lost that game.
Seems unlikely that one would not have realised

Nice idea though

tounge.gif

Someone find a boat, make this happen, and put me down for 5.

Ok put me down for 1, and four people i know down for 1 each also

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Aug. 16 2005,20:46)]Someone find a boat, make this happen, and put me down for 5.

Ok put me down for 1, and four people i know down for 1 each also
I think the tides problem really may make you come unstuck though! Well, you're more likely to come stuck (however that works).

Come on, we're all Shrimpers here, we should all know what the tide will be like!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Aug. 16 2005,20:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 16 2005,20:15)]Any of the original SZ crew remember the cunning STC plan to sail over to the Margate pre-season friendly, embark on a controlled beach landing from a flotilla of ships to the nearest ale house and then on to the game?

WS

biggrin.gif
Wasted post Mike everyone was reliving the collage years instead of sticking to the original post. I forgot that the trusts word was all knowing.
Me & my family could always build a Dam across the Estuary to keep the water level up
tounge.gif

Back