• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Scott Vernon Free Transfer!

Id be more than happy to have him here, he linked up well with Spencer at times and think he would do ok for us.

What worries me is that we just don't get goals when Vernon is around, he doesn't really bring people into play (yes the ball bounced off his bonce on Saturday for Laurent to head in) but he isn't a Harrold/Bradbury who can hold a defender off and be comfortable with the ball to feet.

I know we're beggers, so can't be choosers, but I'd worry if Vernon was near our starting lineup next season... we need to be building our team around Grant and Moussa, and so need to have a front line who are comfortable with the ball to feet... Vernon isn't.

I say we just get him. He doesn't have to start as we got Spencer and probably will get another striker, or paterson. No point turning down Vernon as he might do better in league 2, may aswell be in our squad...Why not? :)

I say we just get him. He doesn't have to start as we got Spencer and probably will get another striker, or paterson. No point turning down Vernon as he might do better in league 2, may aswell be in our squad...Why not? :)

because there's an opportunity cost to having a player in your squad - which is composed of many factors.

It's not just a case of "get him in, why not!".

because there's an opportunity cost to having a player in your squad - which is composed of many factors.

But it kind of is. He has scored a few goals for us. One of them being against Norwich, only player in our team so score against Tranmere this season.
I don't rate him as I do Scott Spencer or whatever, but I would get him.

Id be more than happy to have him here, he linked up well with Spencer at times and think he would do ok for us.

I still think he's a poor man's Revell, who incidentally, i think would have worked well with Spencer.

But it kind of is. He has scored a few goals for us. One of them being against Norwich, only player in our team so score against Tranmere this season.
I don't rate him as I do Scott Spencer or whatever, but I would get him.

The point is though, next season we're gunna be tight on funds. The wages we're paying him, could go on someone else.

The point is though, next season we're gunna be tight on funds. The wages we're paying him, could go on someone else.

Suppose so...I wouldn't be gutted at all to see Vernon go back but I just thought if we don't have enough money, a free transfer for Vernon wouldn't be too bad. But good point we can fill in someone better rather than paying his wages.

Just been doing a bit of research, and it works out that Spencer and Vernon have played 410 minutes of football together, and have scored 5 goals in that time. That's basically a goal per game. Not a bad ratio at all.

Just been doing a bit of research, and it works out that Spencer and Vernon have played 410 minutes of football together, and have scored 5 goals in that time. That's basically a goal per game. Not a bad ratio at all.

The little Ive seen of them together they seem to play well off of each other, certainly better than Paterson/Vernon do.

The little Ive seen of them together they seem to play well off of each other, certainly better than Paterson/Vernon do.

Well that ratio seems to back your idea's up i must admit.

FWIW, i think they've looked poor at times, and quite the opposite on other occasions. Against Walsall, they worked well. Whereas against Yeovil they were shocking.

Well that ratio seems to back your idea's up i must admit.

FWIW, i think they've looked poor at times, and quite the opposite on other occasions. Against Walsall, they worked well. Whereas against Yeovil they were shocking.

Agree, Walsall it seemed to click and especially at Bristol Rovers away they were outstanding, however apart from those two games I just didn't see it!

For me, he's a half decent target man, but shot shy. Think Tilly will be looking for another experienced striker, but I would like to see Spencer and Paterson given a few games together with Crawford as back up.

Good god no.

Vernon is woeful. He is supposed to be a target man yet he can't win headers, in fact I've hardly seen him jump for one, his finishing is woeful, when the ball is played into him he takes 3/4/5 touches to get it under control before laying it off and slows all our attacks down.

We can do so much better than him. He doesn't want to be here, his performances over the last month show that and I'd seriously question Tilson if Vernon comes back and its got nothing at all to do with him being Col Ewe. Infact, I liked White, Heath and Baldwin.

Most days when I read through the endless rambling drivel posted on here about Ron Martin or Tilly's latest new club I wish I could break the habit, but every now and then a little gem appears that makes me think it's all worth it. Today it is the use of 'opportunity cost'. Pubey I salute you.

Most days when I read through the endless rambling drivel posted on here about Ron Martin or Tilly's latest new club I wish I could break the habit, but every now and then a little gem appears that makes me think it's all worth it. Today it is the use of 'opportunity cost'. Pubey I salute you.

It's almost as if I teach economics!:)

he wont sign for us anyway THANK GOD, heard his missus wants to go back up north so wont be signing for a southern side!!

He did his job, Col U sent him here to send us down the chances he missed cost us big time!!

he wont sign for us anyway THANK GOD, heard his missus wants to go back up north so wont be signing for a southern side!!

He did his job, Col U sent him here to send us down the chances he missed cost us big time!!

No, he is just ****!

Back