• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The referee for Saturday is relatively inexperienced in only his second season as a League referee. He is Bristol-born Kevin Johnson from Weston-Super-Mare, a shaven-headed 38 year old who works in property maintenance.

Last season, his first in the League went reasonably well, albeit with only one Championship appointment. He showed an average-ish 95 yellows and 5 reds from 28 matches. Thus far this season his 5 games have seen 18 yellows and no red.

His only previous Southend match was also a home game, at exactly the same stage of the season, a year ago on Sunday. It was the home win against Shrewsbury when we won, and all the cards (4 yellows and a red) were shown to the visitors. Unsurprisingly there were few complaints.

The season before last, he refereed the Gateshead/Grimsby play off semi-final; plenty of cards there.

Assisting Mr Johnson will be Mr Johnson, Paul Johnson from London, and John Busby taking a break from the dreaming spires of Oxford. Fourth Official will be ex-Ukranian top flight referee, Ole Saliy now from London who I saw have a very decent game in the middle at Grays recently.

It show the massive difference in refereeing standards that Olly was top flight in Ukraine. He was fairly ordinary on the ESL and as far as I can tell has never got higher than the Conference South.

It show the massive difference in refereeing standards that Olly was top flight in Ukraine. He was fairly ordinary on the ESL and as far as I can tell has never got higher than the Conference South.

To make the jump up (3 levels of football) from Essex Senior League to Conference South you have to be better than "fairly ordinary" (otherwise all manner of people would have made it !)

To make the jump up (3 levels of football) from Essex Senior League to Conference South you have to be better than "fairly ordinary" (otherwise all manner of people would have made it !)

Club marks played a massive part in promotions from ESL back then (as there were far fewer assessors)........ that's been resolved now.

Can't comment on what he did after that, but from my perspective as an assistant and referee on the ESL, I thought there were far better.

Missed numerous blatant pushes, incidents off the ball (a ball follower basically), failed to overrule a couple of bizarre decisions by the lino and ignored their Dutch substitute blocking every attempt at a quick free kick, do you need any more ?

Thought he had a decent game. To be fair he didn't have a huge amount to do in a good mannered game. Would welcome him back.

Thought he had a decent game. To be fair he didn't have a huge amount to do in a good mannered game. Would welcome him back.

Poorest ref of the season at Roots Hall for me. Only slightly better than the East stand assistant. Just made wrong decisions consistently, especially in the first half. Improved in second half although the assistant didn't. Nothing too controversial but that doesn't make it right.

I thought he did ok too, couple of minor things, but more to do with stuff the linos got wrong which he wasn't best placed to over rule. My only criticism really was failing to stop play when Tims went down late on with what could have easily been a head injury (it was certainly how it looked from our perspective) - I still want him wrapped in cotton wool and refs to remember what happened to him at the end of last season! I also didn't really see why he had words with Coker over a free kick in the 1st half, was it because he took it before the ref had blown?

Piggott went down with a head injury but he ignored that too.......

Typical referee it seems at L1/2 level. Made rod for his own back through inconsistency- not helped by park linesman.
Would like to say we won't see worse- but we will and often..

I thought he did ok too, couple of minor things, but more to do with stuff the linos got wrong which he wasn't best placed to over rule. My only criticism really was failing to stop play when Tims went down late on with what could have easily been a head injury (it was certainly how it looked from our perspective) - I still want him wrapped in cotton wool and refs to remember what happened to him at the end of last season! I also didn't really see why he had words with Coker over a free kick in the 1st half, was it because he took it before the ref had blown?

Generally the conversation goes like this ....

ref "do you want a quick free kick?"
player "no"
ref "in which case wait for the whistle"

this gives the ref the time he needs to make sure the ball is correctly placed, the wall is 10 yards and he gets to where he wants to be. Then he'll hit the whistle.

Its a bit annoying when a player takes the kick after being given the choice and decided to wait for the whistle only for him not to wait.

Piggott went down with a head injury but he ignored that too.......

The one which did not require any attention from the physio?, had that been in reverse we would be screaming at any ref who gave it.

That'd be the one.

The ref was absolutely fine today. I am not sure what people want, aside from a referee that gives everything to us.

Back