• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Season 2009/10 will begin....

I hope we're not at home again for the opener as I will be coming back from my hols on the 8th.

How selfish is that?

But, seriously, we're due an away game on the opening day. 2002/3 was the last time.

As usual, i can't wait to see the fixture list, but am i the only one who's doubly excited about next season? league 1 will probably be the strongest it has in years, maybe ever, we've got a decent squad going into it, expectations will be high as ever, and quite a few localish games for us! come on next season!

Not the worst time it could have been for me but I go on holiday on Friday 14th, day before the second game :(

Last edited:
Worst time it could have been for me, I go on holiday on Friday 14th, day before the opener :(

Eh?

Seasons opens on the 8th...

And what time were you actually hoping for, having booked a holiday on 14th August?

Eh?

Seasons opens on the 8th...

And what time were you actually hoping for, having booked a holiday on 14th August?
Yeah but I have got to hope we are at home and it was my mum who booked it :(

Last edited:
What part of:

'Next season will kick off on 8th August 2009'

Do you not understand? :unsure:
Sorry misread the article, I though it said the Carling Cup will be on the 8th, thought it was a bit strange!

As usual, i can't wait to see the fixture list, but am i the only one who's doubly excited about next season? league 1 will probably be the strongest it has in years, maybe ever, we've got a decent squad going into it, expectations will be high as ever, and quite a few localish games for us! come on next season!

Nope, me too fella. League one will be very strong next season, plus a lot more localish games for us with Brentford and Wycombe. I'm hoping Gillingham come up too.

Seems to get earlier and earlier.

I remember when the Community shield was the first game of the season which was almost at the end of August and then the leagues started the following Sunday.

Watching football in the middle of summer :thumbdown:

Seems to get earlier and earlier.

I remember when the Community shield was the first game of the season which was almost at the end of August and then the leagues started the following Sunday.

Watching football in the middle of summer :thumbdown:

For a few seasons in the early 80's our first league games were the last weekend in August but then those seasons finished in mid May, and there were sometimes a mickey mouse cup competition that started earlier. Most seasons the regular games begin either the first or second week in August.

In the early 1970's I remember the Watney Cup which was open to the teams that had scored the most goals in their respective divisions and one year it started at the end of July!

For a few seasons in the early 80's our first league games were the last weekend in August but then those seasons finished in mid May, and there were sometimes a mickey mouse cup competition that started earlier. Most seasons the regular games begin either the first or second week in August.

In the early 1970's I remember the Watney Cup which was open to the teams that had scored the most goals in their respective divisions and one year it started at the end of July!

'And I wonder, if they'll bring back, national service and the birch,
And I wonder, but I doubt if, they will ever bring back the Watney Cup!'

I hope we're not at home again for the opener as I will be coming back from my hols on the 8th.

How selfish is that?

But, seriously, we're due an away game on the opening day. 2002/3 was the last time.

That can't be coincidence that. It would appear that we make a request to be at home on the first day of each season to the board who draws up the fixtures.

I seem to recall one of the various incarnations of the Anglo-Italian cup being played pre-season in the early 70s probably with a similar start date.
I may have imagined this but I think it was televised as well or at least the final may have been - I have very hazy memories of seeing Blackpool (who were a decent outfit in those days) on TV in this competition.

Back