• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Season Cards - credit card sales now open on OS

Can we better that this season?
In my opinion. No.

I think Covid (inability to watch live football) and the novelty factor of the NL helped inflate this seasons sales. I suspect season card sales next season will be down on last. Perhaps quite a bit if the club don't allow fans to use a credit facility to purchase and quickly.

Many are struggling financially and using a credit facility maybe the only option to facilitate a season card purchase for them. This has to be rectified and sharpish, along with an online renewal option. Before a significant number of fans decide their money is needed elsewhere.

We must literally be the only pro club doing renewals in this manner. Whilst I understand the numbers behind it etc, are we really in that much of state compared to every other club around to have to operate like this and alienate a significant number of fans that just don't have hundreds of pounds spare at the moment?

I mean every other club has been through the same pandemic we have. Other clubs are also subject to the "drip-feed" of funds we have been I presume. Why are they not insisting on bank transfer/cash ONLY for renewals at the moment? Why are we so different?

We will need to be in and around the Top 7 to help attract significant walk-ups to match or beat our average attendances of this season.

If we start next season as we did this one, I dread to think what sort of crowds we will get.

The club need to be bang on the recruitment. Sort the payment options for season cards out pronto, keep the "bad news" to a minimum (especially regards financial problems), provide real positive news on the stadium and really bang the engagement drum this summer, if they want fans to turn out in numbers next season. Or in short, the complete opposite of what's been done for the last god knows how many years.

This is a hugely important summer for the club and they need to get everything (or at least the majority) of things right, or things will turn sour very quickly unfortunately. I believe we now have the right people to achieve this (bar one, but let's not get into that) but they need to be given the resources to carry out their roles properly and get this club operating like a professional outfit and pushing for a return to the EFL again. I still have my doubts this will be the case...

Last edited:
I am concerned how calm and easy going many contributors are on this thread over parting with their hard earned cash. Southend United is business of a reasonable size with many thousands of regular customers yet it won’t take credit or even debit cards for advance payments. It’s not your local corner shop so it’s a ridiculous position at best, or an indication of something far worse IMO.

I have recently ordered some furniture with a 12-15 week delivery date. Had I been asked to transfer the deposit from my bank or pay cash, it would have been ‘No Way Jose’ from me. I suggest nearly all of you would react the same way.

Many of you say you are happy to do this if it helps the club out. I hope your faith is rewarded with your favourite seat and a cracking season of football.

I am concerned how calm and easy going many contributors are on this thread over parting with their hard earned cash. Southend United is business of a reasonable size with many thousands of regular customers yet it won’t take credit or even debit cards for advance payments. It’s not your local corner shop so it’s a ridiculous position at best, or an indication of something far worse IMO.

I have recently ordered some furniture with a 12-15 week delivery date. Had I been asked to transfer the deposit from my bank or pay cash, it would have been ‘No Way Jose’ from me. I suggest nearly all of you would react the same way.

Many of you say you are happy to do this if it helps the club out. I hope your faith is rewarded with your favourite seat and a cracking season of football.
You could equally argue that without our money now the club may not make it to the start of next season in good shape. Each to their own @Userorange, folk are old enough to make their own choices either way.

I was happy to use bank transfer in order to respond to the club's plea for cash, just as I was happy to forfeit my refund as the club needs all the help it can get if it's going to have a good season next year.

I just wonder if an alternative to the current stance might be a two-tier pricing structure - cheaper if you pay by cash or bank transfer, more expensive to use a card to reflect the additional costs and reduced cash flow for the club.

Not perfect, but would at least allow those who want to use cards to secure their season ticket. Maybe when they deem the early bird window over, they can say that there will be a discount (back down to the early bird price) for anyone choosing to pay cash or bank transfer?

Just to be clear on this one, I believe the club will accept card payment in the near future. They just wanted some hard cash to help with the cashflow.

I don't believe anyone will lose their seat or anything like that and you will still be able to take advantage of the price freeze once they feel they have maximised cash sales.

Appreciate it's not ideal but the only way I lose money is if the cub folds or the season is cancelled again. I'm happy to take my chances on that. I do think the club could / should have been a bit clearer though

I've not looked into it, but is the interest card on a cc cash withdrawal to prohibitive to draw out the S/C money and then repay in instalments? Or even a low cost money transfer from Card to Bank Account, or finally a short term loan from c/c to bank account.
Cost me £9.50 to take the money out of a cash machine.

I was happy to use bank transfer in order to respond to the club's plea for cash, just as I was happy to forfeit my refund as the club needs all the help it can get if it's going to have a good season next year.

I just wonder if an alternative to the current stance might be a two-tier pricing structure - cheaper if you pay by cash or bank transfer, more expensive to use a card to reflect the additional costs and reduced cash flow for the club.

Not perfect, but would at least allow those who want to use cards to secure their season ticket. Maybe when they deem the early bird window over, they can say that there will be a discount (back down to the early bird price) for anyone choosing to pay cash or bank transfer?
Businesses are not permitted to surcharge customers for the use of credit or debit cards. Offering a discount for cash is effectively the same thing.

I won't pay for season ticket whilst Ron is still incharge! Iv done the hard yards with sufc over the years with regards going to home/away games. National league football under Ron with the potential troubles with hmrc doesn't motivate me to fork out 300 odd for season ticket. I'm sure I'm not in the minority here.

I won't pay for season ticket whilst Ron is still incharge! Iv done the hard yards with sufc over the years with regards going to home/away games. National league football under Ron with the potential troubles with hmrc doesn't motivate me to fork out 300 odd for season ticket. I'm sure I'm not in the minority here.
Will you still go to games on a ticket by ticket basis next season?

Fair enough, it's personal choice, but imagine if we all did that. We wouldn't be getting back to the EFL any time soon.

Which suggests, if you were minded to, you could withdraw the cash from the C/C, and apart from the £9.50 withdrawal fee, the repayments would be the same as if you had paid by card.
I would never take cash from a credit card, just for the potential impact it has to your credit file.

I would never take cash from a credit card, just for the potential impact it has to your credit file.
I’m sure the one occasions won’t do my credit too bad, I have a mortgage, I’ve never missed a payment and don’t have any loans or finance out.

Back