• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First half if the season was a refreshing surprise to see a slightly better brand off football played against some decent passing sides. Results were more hit than miss and we started to beleive that we could be more than a relegation threatened side.

Middle part we were hanging on the coat tails of the play off pack without truely being part of it.

The latter half of the season has been a car crash. Loanees brought in and not used. First team players loaned out and moral nose diving. The players are not playing for the manager who seemingly wants to leave for the vacant bolton post and all hopes of the play offs have been killed in just over a month of football.

End of season. Safety and midtable obscurity, but it could and should have been better than that.

I highly doubt and hope that PB will not be in charge next season as i think he has now deliberately burnt all bridges with the chairman fans and a good few of the players.

Next season willbe hard if we lose key personel , but with the right management and some astute signings there is no reason why we cant be pushing for a higher league place.

First half if the season was a refreshing surprise to see a slightly better brand off football played against some decent passing sides. Results were more hit than miss and we started to beleive that we could be more than a relegation threatened side.

Middle part we were hanging on the coat tails of the play off pack without truely being part of it.

The latter half of the season has been a car crash. Loanees brought in and not used. First team players loaned out and moral nose diving. The players are not playing for the manager who seemingly wants to leave for the vacant bolton post and all hopes of the play offs have been killed in just over a month of football.

End of season. Safety and midtable obscurity, but it could and should have been better than that.

I highly doubt and hope that PB will not be in charge next season as i think he has now deliberately burnt all bridges with the chairman fans and a good few of the players.

Next season willbe hard if we lose key personel , but with the right management and some astute signings there is no reason why we cant be pushing for a higher league place.

this is spot on

Anyone have a particular favourite game, goal or incident?

For me, the 2-0 win away at Barnsley was good as it was a tight and well contested game for 90+ minutes.

Loved the Bentley penalty save away at Peterborough.

Cracking goal by Payne at home to Bury or perhaps the Worrall goal against Burton are candidates. :unsure:

This complicated graph shows where it went wrong.

Attachments

• thiung.jpg
    thiung.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 15

For me, the 2-0 win away at Barnsley was good as it was a tight and well contested game for 90+ minutes.

Cracking goal by Payne at home to Bury or perhaps the Worrall goal against Burton are candidates. :unsure:
The last 10 minutes of the Col U home game was pretty memorable.

Quite simple for me

six points off those up the road....finish out of relegation zone ... And they go down.... Good season after promotion.....end of

Favourite game at home must be Coventry City, I think.

Certainly been far more entertained at Roots Hall this season, with some cracking performances when we were at our best.

Too many sloppy set-piece goals conceded and the end is best forgotten.

Overall, though, a marked improvement on last season, for the most part.

Down with the decorations - not uncommon for the long suffering Southend fan TBH. Don't give a monkey's mind as staying up was always the priority - we wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Championship, parachute payments anyone?
Think next season could be tough and yes, I hope Brown is the manager taking us forward.
When can we start talking about the cricket and the flat season? - racing that is!

I think it can be summed up with a bit of poetry:

Our first five didn't go so well,
Relegation? We couldn't tell.
Into the Autumn we went,
Some points we were duly sent.
As the year ended on a high,
The table didn't lie.
The play offs were in touching distance,
All we needed was a bit of persistence!
As spring came closer,
Along came a metaphorical bulldozer.
Our great leader was wanted elsewhere,
It really wasn't fair.
The distraction was too much,
The play offs became out of touch.
The dream of the Championship disappeared,
As would some of our players we feared.
And as the season drew to a close,
This feeling we were left to propose.
Mid table safety wasn't that bad,
But so much more we could have had.

Probably the Coventry win, alongside the elation of finally scoring (and then getting two more) against Col U. Strange that the best 2 wins were in the ultimately disappointing 2nd half of the season.

After the euphoria at the end of last season this years campaign has been a major anticlimax - our season ended late March, when apart from the Sheff U game our performances have been abysmal! Coincidently around the same time Brown took his eye off of SUFC and on to BWFC...

Best bits
Most memorable games? Home: Bury 4-1, Burton 3-1 and Sheff Utd 3-1 wins. Away: Col U 2-0, Barnsley 2-0 and Oldham 5-2
The emergence of Jack Payne

worst bits...
Everything else, most notably:
PB / Bolton situation
Negative PB tactics
Not getting Jack Payne or Dan Bentley signed up on longer contracts
Poor signings by PB (who has actually come in and made a difference to last seasons side? At a stretch you could say Barnett, but he seems to have gone to the dogs of late)

And what about FF? Where the hell is the new stadium,

Roll on next season, Brown OUT, new manager, new blood, fresh start, blah, blah, blah.

No doubt the BWFC issue has caused the dip in form over the last couple of months and our season ended somewhat prematurely. Just glad we were more or less safe by then. A top ten would have been great but mid table is very acceptable. Current troubles need sorting asap and some personnel changes are a must. Lets hope the wheeling and dealing is right on cue...............Oh and whatever happens, really need to F*** Bolton twice next season as a thank you. I particularly would love that.

If we do end up finishing 13th, majority of fans would definitely have taken that pre-season. Just a nagging sense it could have been so much better - only 9 points from a possible 30 in home games against the bottom 10 teams show where we failed this season.

However, highlights for me were the home games against Bury and Sheff Utd and best moment just has to be Worrall's goal vs. Sheff Utd. I screamed and celebrated so much, I surprised myself and scared the kids!

On a purely personal level, the ultimate highlight for this season would be taking my kids (ages 9 and 5) to their first ever game against Swindon back in August, not knowing what they would make of it or if they would enjoy it. Pleased to say my son (the 5-year old) has not missed a home league game since and my daughter has been to about 80% of the games. They are both now 'Junior Blues', have met all the players (got untold amount of autographs) and, to cap it off, are mascots this Saturday. They have loved it (even the 0-4 vs. Millwall didn't bother them) and we will all be back next season. For that reason alone, this season has been a success on a personal level!

If we do end up finishing 13th, majority of fans would definitely have taken that pre-season. Just a nagging sense it could have been so much better - only 9 points from a possible 30 in home games against the bottom 10 teams show where we failed this season.

However, highlights for me were the home games against Bury and Sheff Utd and best moment just has to be Worrall's goal vs. Sheff Utd. I screamed and celebrated so much, I surprised myself and scared the kids!

On a purely personal level, the ultimate highlight for this season would be taking my kids (ages 9 and 5) to their first ever game against Swindon back in August, not knowing what they would make of it or if they would enjoy it. Pleased to say my son (the 5-year old) has not missed a home league game since and my daughter has been to about 80% of the games. They are both now 'Junior Blues', have met all the players (got untold amount of autographs) and, to cap it off, are mascots this Saturday. They have loved it (even the 0-4 vs. Millwall didn't bother them) and we will all be back next season. For that reason alone, this season has been a success on a personal level!

Don't tell Social Services ............... they could take your children away on the basis of cruelty given that they are likely to go through some considerable pain each season as a Southend fan .............................

Back