• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Not often I've felt this or we have been in a position of having such a strong squad, but, tonight every player put their marker down to be included in the starting 11 on Saturday. I can't remember the last time that we had such a situation. Add to the mix the possibility of adding another striker say Jackson or McLeod and McLaughlin then PB has a huge headache.

A few few players are nailed on, Bentley, White, Coker and Bolger. Who partners Bolger, Barrett or Prosser.
midfield for me Worrall was stand out tonight, but Hurst was selected Saturday. Wordsworth oozes class, but should Leonard, Timlin or Deegan start next to him. For me it should be Timlin. Then you have Atkinson, Weston, Payne and possibly McLaughlin.

Upfront I think the two tonight looked excellent and if fit should start Saturday. But Mooney also looked sharp when he came on. What a great position to be in, some quality players, grafters, hard working, tough tackling and in some cases a touch of class.

Over to you PB....good luck!

May not have a headache upfront for Saturday because Hunt was moving very gingerly at the final whistle and had an ice pack on one ankle. He ran himself into the ground last night. That match will have been a severe test of his fitness.
Oh, and we don't need Owen Garvan. As PB himself said, we are well served in midfield.
If all are fit then Saturday's starting choices will be instructive on PB's thinking. Will he pull a few surprises like last Saturday?

I think he called the team perfectly last night. Rested some players and gave others the opportunity to stake a claim for a starting slot. He now has a hungry squad of match fit players to chose from. Let's not forget we have Donny away next Wednesday, so anyone who doesn't start this Sat, could get a chance then if they keep the right attitude. I hope young Jack gets a look in at some point. I'd hate to see him drift away.

Think we're in as strong as we've been for a long while, strength in depth. Bring on Saturday- very confident about this season

Everyone that played last night impressed and staked their claim, and those who played at the weekend didn't do their chances any harm either.

When you consider the senior pros in our squad, you can see how hard the decision for PB will be, perhaps with the exception of GK, RB and LB. Would've thought that Worrall would be one of the first names on the teamsheet but after the weekend who knows!
GK: Dan Bentley, Ted Smith
RB: John White, Ryan Leonard
CB: Cian Bolger, Adam Barrett, Luke Prosser
LB: Ben Coker
RM: David Worrall, Kevan Hurst, Will Atkinson
CM: Ryan Leonard, Michael Timlin, Anthony Wordsworth, Gary Deegan, Will Atkinson, Jack Payne
LM: Myles Weston, David Worrall, Kevan Hurst, Will Atkinson, Michael Timlin
ST: David Mooney, Noel Hunt, Joe Pigott, Myles Weston, Jason Williams, Jack Payne

Can see us going with 4-4-2 on Saturday as we'll be at home and want to take the game to them, which will help some of those who missed out stake a claim. Looking at the above though, you do have to wonder which central midfielder would miss out in a 4-4-2, unless it's something along the lines of last night with Timlin/Wordsworth playing as a very central "winger" in an asymmetrical midfield.

As much as i love Michael Timlin he looks like a fish out of water playing Wide Right.

When our squad oozes quality right midfielders ... Worrall , Atkinson , Hurst along with Weston , Wordsworth + Leonard who have all excelled in this postion before , i find it hard to see why Timlin - who always dominates the centre or left side- is pushed out into this position.

As much as i love Michael Timlin he looks like a fish out of water playing Wide Right.

When our squad oozes quality right midfielders ... Worrall , Atkinson , Hurst along with Weston , Wordsworth + Leonard who have all excelled in this postion before , i find it hard to see why Timlin - who always dominates the centre or left side- is pushed out into this position.

To be fair, Timlin did start on the left of the midfield last night, then Phil Brown switched the two wide players over.

I thought Worrall was a massive threat on the left wing, and some of his link up play with Coker and Hunt/Pigott when they came wide was excellent.

Agree, Timlin has to play in the middle for me, but at a push can play wide left.

To be fair, Timlin did start on the left of the midfield last night, then Phil Brown switched the two wide players over.

I thought Worrall was a massive threat on the left wing, and some of his link up play with Coker and Hunt/Pigott when they came wide was excellent.

Agree, Timlin has to play in the middle for me, but at a push can play wide left.

Agree with Worrall on the left, I would get him settled out there and continue to build on that partnership with Coker. I actually quite like the stronger more "central" player out on the other wing...Mark Bentley esc in our successful seasons.

May not have a headache upfront for Saturday because Hunt was moving very gingerly at the final whistle and had an ice pack on one ankle. He ran himself into the ground last night. That match will have been a severe test of his fitness.
Oh, and we don't need Owen Garvan. As PB himself said, we are well served in midfield.
If all are fit then Saturday's starting choices will be instructive on PB's thinking. Will he pull a few surprises like last Saturday?

I'd say if Garvan is available and within budget we most certainly DO need him. Just because we have the quantity, Garvan is better quality and that should always be the deciding factor. We'd probably offload a couple.

So much for a depleted squad which is what was claimed we had before Pigott joined.

We managed to make 6 changes yesterday and still put out a very strong team.

Still need cover for fullback, and a centre half if Thompson isnt going to start. Add a striker to the mix like Mcleod/Jackson and we have a very strong squad with the strongest bench I can remember.

What does Echo say about McLaughlin today?

Forest going to keep hold of him until they find Freedmans replacement and he decides what to do with him :hilarious:

What does Echo say about McLaughlin today?

Forest going to keep hold of him until they find Freedmans replacement and he decides what to do with him :hilarious:
Nothing new to what Chris Phillips tweeted last night, that we're still interested and in talks and the club are confident of signing him.

Back