• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Semi Final 2

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is 'Tangled Up In Blue' your auntie Janet? And did you know she's being held captive in Crickson Towers?

Cricko called me about it yesterday (I've been off a few days) and I did chuckle. I think I've gone on record here as saying that's my favourite Dylan song, but I know nothing of this person, honest!

Struggling here as unlike lots of you it seems, as I've said in an earlier round, I really don't like Lennon's later solo stuff. I detest Woman with a passion and find Imagine really dreary whereas I like some of Paul McCartney's - in particular I really like Band on the Run. So for me had it been Lennon and McCartney (as per Jagger and Richards) then I'd be voting for lots of the Beatles' tracks like Michelle (a joint one), Penny Lane (Paul), The Long and Winding Road (credited to both, although believed to be Paul's), Please, Please Me (John), Nowhere Man (John) and All You Need is Love (John). Even on balance, amongst their works, I prefer more of Paul's solo stuff to John's.

For that reason, and because I genuinely prefer the kind of music Smokey Robinson wrote, I'm voting for him.

Struggling here as unlike lots of you it seems, as I've said in an earlier round, I really don't like Lennon's later solo stuff. I detest Woman with a passion and find Imagine really dreary whereas I like some of Paul McCartney's - in particular I really like Band on the Run. So for me had it been Lennon and McCartney (as per Jagger and Richards) then I'd be voting for lots of the Beatles' tracks like Michelle (a joint one), Penny Lane (Paul), The Long and Winding Road (credited to both, although believed to be Paul's), Please, Please Me (John), Nowhere Man (John) and All You Need is Love (John). Even on balance, amongst their works, I prefer more of Paul's solo stuff to John's.

For that reason, and because I genuinely prefer the kind of music Smokey Robinson wrote, I'm voting for him.

Surely this renders the rest of the opinion null and void? :omg:

Tangled up in intrigue

Cricko called me about it yesterday (I've been off a few days) and I did chuckle. I think I've gone on record here as saying that's my favourite Dylan song, but I know nothing of this person, honest!

Hmmm ... I know that you're an honourable person, James, but there is something of a smoky gun about this. :stunned:

Thanks to all those who voted John into the final, and well played James, Smokey Robinson wrote some of the greatest songs of my youth, and I'm transported back to the days of Leigh Comm and the girls dancing round their handbags. Brilliant. :smile:

Well played H, Smokey stood little chance in this one. PS 'Jealous Guy' is my favourite Lennon track.

Thanks to all those who voted John into the final, and well played James, Tchaikovsky wrote some of the greatest songs of my youth, and I'm transported back to the days of Jethro Tull (the bloke not the band) and the girls dancing round their seed drills. Brilliant. :smile:

Slightly edited :raspberry:

Back