• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shhhhh!

Exiled Shrimper

Manager
Well someone has to say it. I don't want to say too much on the subject, because it is still pre-season. However, had the two goalkeepers been the other way around tonight, and it had been Griemink to concede Macca's goal (rooted to line, ball over head, off crossbar and in), then I guess all the youngsters on here would have been comparing the former Swindon Town man to Emberson/Robinson/Neville Southall (if they were born when he has his spell with us). It wasn't, it was the demi-God Flavs, so no criticism.

Makes you wonder.

P.S. Other than the goal, Flavs played alright I thought tonight, although Billericay's pre-occupation with short corners meant that he wasn't really tested with any high balls. But then Griemink played alright on Saturday apart from Dagenham's second goal, and he copped five different topics and about 100 posts worth of abuse.

It was past "DarrylNo1's" bedtime, Rob. He probably couldn't attend the game 'cos his mumma was tucking him up with warm milk and a nice crumbly bikkie ...

WS

You could undoubtedly compare Flavs pathetic little hop towards the ball last night with Cumbo's effort at Donny last year.  On neither occasion did their feet leave the ground and the attempt in both cases to flap the ball over the bar was poor to say the least.  But at least Cumbo had an excuse for his inertia in the ?? stone (sorry kilos for the youth) more weight he carried.  What's Flavs excuse??  
rock.gif
 Also ES you forgot to mention the 2 or 3 dodgy kicks by Flahavan that went straight to opponents in our own half.

But like the sensible (sort of) people on here I'll reserve judgement until we see who Tilly chooses.  In my view will be Bert on the basis that he's good at the things we've been missing for the last couple of years (per Tilly) & has played at a higher level, which is why we signed him.  

As for Flavs, if he's that good why is he still with us?  He has thought he's better than us for the last couple of years, but unforunately for him the footballing world doesn't agree.  But he can do a job as our No 2, no problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ July 27 2004,02:42)]It was past "DarrylNo1's" bedtime, Rob. He probably couldn't attend the game 'cos his mumma was tucking him up with warm milk and a nice crumbly bikkie ...

WS
There were a few fcukwits at the game, which may account for the silence on here last night... Mummy & Daddy may have packed them straight off to bed with [as JS said] their warm milk & cookie when they got in.
biggrin.gif

What annoys me, is that they attend the match but aren't interested in the game so much as playing with each other [but I ain't gonna go there!  
ghostface.gif
]

Bart get's my vote as he is big, vocal and more imprtantly moves!

Vocal - I feel sure he could be heard as far as Basildon and the same goes for Barrett!

At one corner in the first half the noise from these two men was impressive!
biggrin.gif

That"s why Exiled Shrimpers match reports are so inaccurate, biased and poor. Two or three times Griemink should have come for balls around the six yard area and if it wasn"t for poor finishing we would have been a couple down. Still the only ones keen enougth to do match reports belong to the little gang of Flavs haters so were just have to put up with it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 27 2004,10:30)]That"s why Exiled Shrimpers match reports are so inaccurate, biased and poor. Two or three times Griemink should have come for balls around the six yard area and if it wasn"t for poor finishing we would have been a couple down. Still the only ones keen enougth to do match reports belong to the little gang of Flavs haters so were just have to put up with it!
And Darryl did absolutely nothing wrong again then I take it?

With English of such a poor standard from the 'I love Flavs' brigade, it can hardly be any of you lot, can it.

I don't think anyone 'hates' Flavs... but they recognise his weaknesses and want better. I don't think the 'anti-Flavs' (as you would coin the majority) crowd think that Bart is a better 'keeper yet... but are keen to give the guy a chance.

It's the laughable claims that Darryl could make the grade in the Premiership that **** us off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 27 2004,10:30)]Still the only ones keen enougth to do match reports belong to the little gang of Flavs haters so were just have to put up with it!
one word: b******s.

Fair enough, but in Bart we have not got better!

I did have a wry smile when I read the words "McSweeney headed in at the far post with Flahavan rooted to his line"... sounded like a Southend own-goal from last season.

It was also the most utterly predictable thing ever that there would be total silence from the kids on this.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that the pro-Flav camp is so blinkered in its adoration of Flavs and its abhorrence of anything non-Flavs, that this causes the Flav-doubters to be even more trenchant in their views about his weaknesses.

It seems to me that such a state of affairs won't benefit anyone. If the kids can be trusted to bite their tongues, then I suggest we all get behind the Bart-man - whose squad number is No. 1, and who we must therefore presume will be Tilly's first choice next season - and let's see if he & Flavs can spur each other on to become better goalies, as a result of there being genuine competition at the club.

Because one thing is for sure: the standard of Darryl's goalkeeping last season was simply not good enough for a side looking to challenge for honours in this division.

So, wiggy - truce? You stop harping on about Bart and we'll stop harping on about Darryl, until at least 5 games into the proper season?

rock.gif

Matt

Least we not forget that Flahavan hasn't actually signed the contract he's been offered yet. Committed to the cause?

Like f**k he is!

laugh.gif

Lookig at the times of the posts, I make that truce all of 11 minutes long.

Your proposal didn't quite work out, Matt, did it?

Nice try though. I for one wish it had worked.

rock.gif

Ah, but Darryl can't help his height, can he? In which case he shouldn't be a goalkeeper if he can't do anything about his numerous errors.

Bart is taller, more commanding and gives more confidence to the team as a whole. Anybody that argues otherwise shouldn't be allowed near a park pitch, let alone a football ground.

End of.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 27 2004,10:30)]That"s why Exiled Shrimpers match reports are so inaccurate, biased and poor. Two or three times Griemink should have come for balls around the six yard area and if it wasn"t for poor finishing we would have been a couple down. Still the only ones keen enougth to do match reports belong to the little gang of Flavs haters so were just have to put up with it!
Haven't seen any of the pre-season matches, so can't comment on the relative values of Bartman and Flavs.

But at least Exiled Shrimper's posts are written in English.

[b said:
OK - I'm not a Flavs hater or Bart lover, last night was my first pre-season game this year and I went with no pre-conceived ideas as to who was the better keeper.

My observations - Bart looks a better bet when it comes to claiming crosses than Flavs, largely just because of his height and build. However if you are going to come to claim a cross then it is important you actually catch the ball or punch it far enough away to clear the danger, there were a couple of flappping moments last night from Bart!

As to their goal, quite simply Bart would have saved it - once again just because of his height.The same is true of Billericay's goal as well - a taller keeper would have saved it. Of course the reverse argument could be made, there may be some low shots that Flavs would get to that Bart wouldn't - he is a good shot stopper as we've seen over the years.

So, two different kinds of keepers. One has been with us for a while and has won some fans over with some great saves but not convinced others because of other weaknesses in his game. The other, new keeper, is 'arguably' better equipped for the style of play in our division - an opinion shared by the manager judging by some comments he's made.

And there is the major point, Steve Tilson will decide who is our keeper for the new season. No amount of arguing on here will make a difference to his decision and ultimately his job will rest on such selections.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ July 27 2004,13:54)]
[b said:
OK - I'm not a Flavs hater or Bart lover, last night was my first pre-season game this year and I went with no pre-conceived ideas as to who was the better keeper.

My observations - Bart looks a better bet when it comes to claiming crosses than Flavs, largely just because of his height and build. However if you are going to come to claim a cross then it is important you actually catch the ball or punch it far enough away to clear the danger, there were a couple of flappping moments last night from Bart!

As to their goal, quite simply Bart would have saved it - once again just because of his height.The same is true of Billericay's goal as well - a taller keeper would have saved it. Of course the reverse argument could be made, there may be some low shots that Flavs would get to that Bart wouldn't - he is a good shot stopper as we've seen over the years.

So, two different kinds of keepers. One has been with us for a while and has won some fans over with some great saves but not convinced others because of other weaknesses in his game. The other, new keeper, is 'arguably' better equipped for the style of play in our division - an opinion shared by the manager judging by some comments he's made.

And there is the major point, Steve Tilson will decide who is our keeper for the new season. No amount of arguing on here will make a difference to his decision and ultimately his job will rest on such selections.
Go and catch your holiday flight to Greece.
Reasoned arguments , we'll have none of that here !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ July 27 2004,14:06)]Go and catch your holiday flight to Greece.
Reasoned arguments , we'll have none of that here !
Yeah, sorry Ken - severe breach of SZ ettiquette there!

Back