• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

KiwiRob

First XI
Warm greetings to all Shrimpers from Dunedin, New Zealand!

This is my first post, but I feel I have got to know many of you because I have closely followed Shrimper Zone for some time. I am a passionate Blues supporter, but I have lived and worked 'down and under' for nearly two decades and so my chances of actually seeing games is rather limited.

I have not commented on team matters before because I thought it would be a bit presumptious given that my support is largely confined to watching videos of our great team and visiting the superb Shrimper Zone site.

However, I must say I wish Paul Sturrock would have a rethink about the Liam Dickinson situation. Strong, athletic, mobile strikers who are good on the deck are reasonably rare in Division 2, and I thought Liam did really well until he sustained a broken ankle. Many of you remarked that he has not really reproduced his Stockport at Roots Hall. That may be true. But I think we could see the best of Dickinson if he was given a second season at Southend and had someone like Barry Corr - who is strong in the air - playing alongside him.

Up the Blues, KiwiRob.

Welcome to the Zone, I thought Dunedin was just a made up word in LOTR!!! I couldn't ever see Sturrock playing Corr and Dicko in the same side, both too similar, and imho, a fit Corr is the better player. Of course, that's on the assumption he does regain fitness. If, as rumoured, Dicko's contract involved an increase in pay for the next season on the assumption we'd get promoted, which of course, we haven't and we can't afford to pay, then I'm afraid it's only natural he'd be let go.

It's good to hear that Corr does look to be getting back to good health as I was convinced we'd not see him play again, but judging from comments on Twitter and in the Echo, looks as if we're backing him. He'd play very well with any of the other forwards on the books.

The question should probably be, should Liam Dickinson try and re-negotiate with Paul Sturrock? If Dicko was prepared to waive the increase in his contract, then maybe PS would have kept him on.
Who knows?
But it won't happen I don't think and we may well be able to get someone better anyway.

The question should probably be, should Liam Dickinson try and re-negotiate with Paul Sturrock? If Dicko was prepared to waive the increase in his contract, then maybe PS would have kept him on.
Who knows?
But it won't happen I don't think and we may well be able to get someone better anyway.

What he said above .............:smile:

And welcome to the site
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif
......... although I must admit to being a bit jealous of you living in Dunedin - say hello to the albatrosses for me.

Warm greetings to all Shrimpers from Dunedin, New Zealand!

This is my first post, but I feel I have got to know many of you because I have closely followed Shrimper Zone for some time. I am a passionate Blues supporter, but I have lived and worked 'down and under' for nearly two decades and so my chances of actually seeing games is rather limited.

I have not commented on team matters before because I thought it would be a bit presumptious given that my support is largely confined to watching videos of our great team and visiting the superb Shrimper Zone site.

However, I must say I wish Paul Sturrock would have a rethink about the Liam Dickinson situation. Strong, athletic, mobile strikers who are good on the deck are reasonably rare in Division 2, and I thought Liam did really well until he sustained a broken ankle. Many of you remarked that he has not really reproduced his Stockport at Roots Hall. That may be true. But I think we could see the best of Dickinson if he was given a second season at Southend and had someone like Barry Corr - who is strong in the air - playing alongside him.

Up the Blues, KiwiRob.

I doubt it!

As for your question, I think Dicko was probably our most effective centre-forward last year so I wouldn't be adverse to having him back, but it'll be a long way back from that type of injury and I'm not sure we can afford to tie up increased wages on an injured player.

Welcome to the Zone, I thought Dunedin was just a made up word in LOTR!!! I couldn't ever see Sturrock playing Corr and Dicko in the same side, both too similar, and imho, a fit Corr is the better player. Of course, that's on the assumption he does regain fitness. If, as rumoured, Dicko's contract involved an increase in pay for the next season on the assumption we'd get promoted, which of course, we haven't and we can't afford to pay, then I'm afraid it's only natural he'd be let go.

It's good to hear that Corr does look to be getting back to good health as I was convinced we'd not see him play again, but judging from comments on Twitter and in the Echo, looks as if we're backing him. He'd play very well with any of the other forwards on the books.

Whilst I agree that Corr is the better player I wouldn't say that Dickinson and Corr are too similar. I firmly believe that Dickinson was a square peg in a round hole last season as he's not a targetman but was played as such all season. I think he did pretty well in the role considering its not his preferred style and did well to get 12 goals.

Unfortunately for Liam his finishing isn't quite good enough and having Harris or Eastwood playing with Corr would probably be more fruitful for us.

I don't see Dickinson being used in a way which would make the most of his abilities so I think the money is better spent elsewhere. He did alright, and tried his best to play in a style that he's not used to and I wish him well for the future but I'd have released him, personally.

Dicko is a decent player but I think he must have been one of the top earners. If were clearing him out to make a deal for say Freddy then I am all for it. If not then I feel were a bit light uptop but thats PS's call.

Got the impression that Dicko wanted to go North as well as seemed to spend most of his time up there so I am sad but not suprised he he has gone.

Personally think we can find as good again and if Freddy comes we have done better.

Personally I'm glad to see the back of him. Long may he continue playing football for anyone other than Southend.

I'd have released him, personally.

How personal would you have got?

"You're an average player and you get on well with the squad. But, quite frankly, you've been injured for ages, and your feet stick out at funny angles. And you smell."

In a word NO. He hast been good enough or more to the point consistant enough.

If he was on a minimal wage then i would say yes but he isnt and we have barry to come back harris benyon and hopefully eastwood.

We dont need a bit part player on big wages

As you say it's all about opinions.
I'm pro Dickinson - an effective player at this level.
I'm neutral on Corr - seems to have become a far better player since getting injured. Our memories of him are based on one season when we were in turmoil and he was the only one who could score.
I also don't understand the clamour for Eastwood who won't be cheap and didn't set the world alight since returning. I REALLY think people should move on when it comes to Freddy.

As you say it's all about opinions.
I'm pro Dickinson - an effective player at this level.
I'm neutral on Corr - seems to have become a far better player since getting injured. Our memories of him are based on one season when we were in turmoil and he was the only one who could score.
I also don't understand the clamour for Eastwood who won't be cheap and didn't set the world alight since returning. I REALLY think people should move on when it comes to Freddy.

You have answered your Own argument. Corr scores loads of goals in a poor team, and Dickinson scores 12 in a good team. Corr is a much better
player . He is also quality in the air which Dickinson isn't.

No contest for me. If we had Corr last season we would have scored alot more and gone up.

Depends on the sort of football that is played. If we continue as we finished keeping the ball on the ground and passing it around, Dicko most certainly isn't the right player to lead the line. Should we revert to long ball or whatever then possibly Dicko might be an option but quite frankly I thought he was a poor player.

Thanks for the welcome and the comments. On the face of it, Liam Dickinson and Barry Corr seem pretty much alike. But Dickinson by all accounts has never seen himself as a target man where as Corr seems to. It is also interesting that Dickinson was quite prolific at Stockpoint playing alongside Anthony Elding, another tall striker.

FBM raises a good point. But it is difficult to see Dickinson or his agent making some sort of overture to Paul Sturrock when there will be no shortage of interest from other clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 in Dickinson's services.

The disappointing thing about this is that Dickinson could have produced his best form his second season with Blues after when he had a pre-season and was settled.

Still, it is easy for armchair experts like myself to say this. Paul Sturrock has demonstrated that he is a shrewd manager and a clear thinker. It will be interesting to see who he brings in over the summer to strengthen the team.

nothing will be done as Sturrock is on a plane to Turkey for his hols, my mate is on the same flight he texted me, he is a huge Southend supporter even has a tat!! feel sorry for Sturrock for his flight!

Back