• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

should we get someone in....

We need strikers. After the Freddy debacle we're reduced to one fully fit striker and nothing at all on the bench. This is a ridiculous situation to be in after 4 league games. I can't see any excuse at all for being this under prepared.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (N'Zamba Legend @ Aug. 25 2005,08:53)]We need strikers. After the Freddy debacle we're reduced to one fully fit striker and nothing at all on the bench. This is a ridiculous situation to be in after 4 league games. I can't see any excuse at all for being this under prepared.
Bit harsh to describe Lawson as 'nothing at all'... unproven though he may be.

Fair point though I wasn't actually considering Lawson as the fourth striker in the sense that from what I've seen of him he appears to be most comfortable on the wing. He is definately a prospect but I'm not sure we should be relying on scholarship kids after only 4 games.     Obviously if Tilson really believes Lawson has got enough to play as a striker in league one then fantastic- give him a chance. Personally I'd like us to have someone more experienced on board- even as a squad player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (N'Zamba Legend @ Aug. 25 2005,09:14)]Fair point though I wasn't actually considering Lawson as the fourth striker in the sense that from what I've seen of him he appears to be most comfortable on the wing. He is definately a prospect but I'm not sure we should be relying on scholarship kids after only 4 games.     Obviously if Tilson really believes Lawson has got enough to play as a striker in league one then fantastic- give him a chance. Personally I'd like us to have someone more experienced on board- even as a squad player.
Now that you've put it like that, yes, I agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,07:49)]I agree that we need proper LB competition, but in the meantime, Barrett can cover left back, can he not?

That leaves Eagle or Hunt to move into Barrett's CD position. If Hunt moves there (and Jupp is fit), then Jupp will fall into RB.
I would not like to see Barrett pulled out of central defence, we need proper cover at left back.

With regard to the players who left in the summer Corbett was continually on the sick list. Kightly never really had a chance and Bramble too many. Nicolau flattered to deceive and Dudfield did not receive what he considered a good enough offer.

It has too be remembered that Tilly bought in a fair number of players last year, plus Eastwood in Otober and Guttridge in March. Since then he has bought Mitchell Cole, and bid 150k for Beckett. Subsequently he has signed Goater, it is likely that there is a fair bit of the 150k put aside for Beckett available so Tilly can probably raid the market for a permanent or loan players if he wants to.

Please remember that there is not a bottomless pit of cash at our club, and we cannot live beyond our means. That is something that Ron Martin will be sure will not happen and I for one agree with him. The relatively poor attendances at Roots Hall so far this season will also not help the revenue coming in to the club. We have the hard core 4/5000 who turn up come what may, but way too many fairweather "supporters".

think it will be interesting to see who turns out for the col u game. interestingly, dean gerken will be playing in goal for them - an ex southend yts and local lad

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,09:49)]I would not like to see Barrett pulled out of central defence, we need proper cover at left back.
Niether would myself (
wink.gif
) and most other supporters I think. Nor, I imagine, would that be Tilly's favourite option. I was just merely pointing out that a comment on another post (that we have no cover for LB) is technically incorrect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Army @ Aug. 24 2005,19:44)]Could be worth looking at another keeper, a first team player rather than back up. Flahavan and Bart are both average keepers at this level and if we want to achieve and move forward i would like to see some proper competition.

Flavs is simply not commanding enough and, although a good shot stopper, can be looked at when we concede because he is not tall and lacks a decent reach as well as putting extra pressure on defenders when he could deal with situations himself.

Bart is better at this, dealing with crosses in to the box by commanding his area and removing the pressure from defenders, however is not as good a shot stopper and is prone to mistakes.

Goalkeeping is not a problem position, we have two average players to fill one place, but i would like to see a real class keeper who can combine the good qualities of both flahavan and bart...any suggestions?
That's a question to bring up next summer at the earliest.

There are far more pressing areas where we need to add to the squad. IMHO we definitely need someone to add competition for LB (e.g. a left footed Lewis Hunt), probably another striker (with potential e.g. Oli or the guy from D&R & who will learn a lot from training with Goater) and possibly another centre-half (again for competition & cover issues, shame Blewitt's signed for Hereford for this year).

I think everyones agreed the 2 major spots that need to be filled are at left back and up front. Che got caught out by the Hoof ball against Huddersfield, allowing Abbot to sneak in and equalise which proved to rob us of the 3 points, though things may have turned out differently had they not scored...

Saturday is end of the transfer deadline i think, in which case i would be expecting Tilson, looking at the kind of situation we're in, to try and secure the services of someone wether long term or on loan soon... As if Goaters injury flares up again, which wouldn't be surprising at all bearing his age, we are sincerely F**ked in terms of a forward support for Wayne.

What may be an option though is to play a 4-5-1, with perhaps Smith or Bentley playing just behind the forward, Smith because of his talent in supplying forward thinking balls or Bentley because of his physical presence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Army @ Aug. 24 2005,20:08)]Were not going down that road again...this isnt your normal bart or darryl debate, simply a suggestion that neither are anything speacial and that, in order to progress on the pitch, a new first choice that is better than both may be required.

Am only asking for your thoughts....
Good man, Blue Army. I've been saying the same for a while now (namely that neither Bart nor Flavs are much cop) - and have been dismissed as some mad heretic.

Don't know who else is out there, but would welcome any suggestions people may have...

Matt

I still reckon Neil Harris could be on the way out at Forest - subbed at ht during their embarassing cup exit at home to Macclesfield this week. Megson ranted about the 1st half performance and I wonder if that was his last chance as he'd previously only been on the bench for the league games. Still 2 years left on his contract there, so a possibility of a season long loan with a view to a permanent transfer?

But why would we want him if he's not putting any effort in? Ok, I realise Megson seems to be alienating every single Forest player at the moment, but you have to ask why he's so far down the pecking order in a team that desperately needs goals.

Good point, but we don't know how he's been treated by Megson behind the scenes - will undoubtedly affect his motivation. He's a local lad and may do an Adam Barrett for us.

Interestingly Forest have signed another striker this morning - Dadi from Tranmere. Must increase the chances of Harris moving on.

Harris is one of those players who is very inconsitent. Reckon he could do a job but coming here wouldn't he be fourth choice as well behind Freddy, Gray and the Goat? And as it seems he may not be putting the effort in at Forest (reasons we are unsure obviously) would he come here and fight for his place?

rock.gif

i dont think thats the issue. firstly we would have to sort out some sort of agreement on his wages. at the start of the season i thought it was going to be freddy with either gray or the goat.however as the season is progressing (ok 4 matches in) there doesnt seem to be much between all three. IF harris came in i dont think he would 'forth' choice. if he puts the effort in and is good enough he will play, simple as that. tillly wont play his favourite, he will play the inform striker who looks like scoring and if that is say harris and gray then freddy and the goat will have make do with the bench.

its quite interesting actually that 2 months ago we started the debate on strikers and at the end of august we are still having this debate. Maybe we should bring up left backs as well?

biggrin.gif

but i am not doubting Harris wouldn't do a job for us. And it would be some line up up front wouldn't it? maybe tilly could go for a 4-2-4 formation.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Aug. 25 2005,13:26)]Interestingly Forest have signed another striker this morning - Dadi from Tranmere. Must increase the chances of Harris moving on.
They must be desperate!
Also, Millwall just signed Asaba from Stoke, I know he's ex-Col U but could have also done us a good job in L1!

Harris would be a quality signing. We would then have 4 quality strikers, my manager knows him and reckons he would love to move back down South!

But with all us lot saying do we want him or don't we want him in the end its up to Ron and Tilly.

Back