• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The last 4 Southend v Shrewsbury matches at Roots Hall have seen alternate wins to each team; sadly it's Shrewsbury's turn next.

Tomorrow's referee is a Roots Hall debutant in his very first season as a League referee. He is Kevin Johnson from Weston-Super-Mare, a shaven-headed 37 year old refereeing his seventh match at this level. His previous 6 games have produced a low 16 yellows and he has yet to show a red card.

Last season he refereed the Gateshead/Grimsby play off semi-final; plenty of cards there.

Assisting Mr Johnson will be Surrey FA employee, Craig Hicks from Sutton and regular visitor, Mark Mellor from Hemel Hempstead. Fourth Official will be Robert Hyde from East London.

Fourteen years ago this fixture (a 0-0 draw) was refereed by a shaven-headed inexperienced referee in his first season making his way up the ladder. Few there that day would have imagined they were watching a World Cup Final referee in the making. Co-incidentally Howard Webb's first 5 games in the Premiership all finished 0-0.

Coincidence,Mick-my only visit to Gay Meadow(Fri night '73) was 1 of only 2 starts that season (he made 10 in all)for......
...........Kevin Johnson(not to be confused with Terry).

Coincidence,Mick-my only visit to Gay Meadow(Fri night '73) was 1 of only 2 starts that season (he made 10 in all)for......
...........Kevin Johnson(not to be confused with Terry).

I remember him; most of his 17 appearances (5 as sub) were in the same team as his namesake Terry.

Obviously a few times when we've fielded two players with the same surname (Worthington, Moore, Chambers, Smith spring to mind - did the Parkers play together?). Any threes ?

Hardly noticed the ref today which is a good sign. Couldn't really argue with anything he did all day. Very rare for me to say that so well done to him.

The last 4 Southend v Shrewsbury matches at Roots Hall have seen alternate wins to each team; sadly it's Shrewsbury's turn next.

Tomorrow's referee is a Roots Hall debutant in his very first season as a League referee. He is Kevin Johnson from Weston-Super-Mare, a shaven-headed 37 year old refereeing his seventh match at this level. His previous 6 games have produced a low 16 yellows and he has yet to show a red card.

Last season he refereed the Gateshead/Grimsby play off semi-final; plenty of cards there.

Assisting Mr Johnson will be Surrey FA employee, Craig Hicks from Sutton and regular visitor, Mark Mellor from Hemel Hempstead. Fourth Official will be Robert Hyde from East London.

Fourteen years ago this fixture (a 0-0 draw) was refereed by a shaven-headed inexperienced referee in his first season making his way up the ladder. Few there that day would have imagined they were watching a World Cup Final referee in the making. Co-incidentally Howard Webb's first 5 games in the Premiership all finished 0-0.

Iinteresting as today I thought Weston did have a super mare

Yes thought the ref was fine just the tw#t of a lino on the west side!:thumbdown:

Why so?

I hope you're not refering to the constant flagging for off side against Corr. Becasue that's his job and every time he was off side. Corr just needs to be a bit smarter

Thought ref was indeed better than usual rubbish we have to put up with , my only question is ,where on earth did he get 6 mins added time from ?

Thought ref was indeed better than usual rubbish we have to put up with , my only question is ,where on earth did he get 6 mins added time from ?

I reckon that was 4 minutes of normal added time and an extra 2 for the extra slow motion exit from Weston. He was slower than a granny in Tesco's.

Thought ref. was pretty good-certainly much better than most we see.The 6 mins must have included a couple from the first half when he blew up spot on 45.I'm fairly sure Derek Parker was bought on the day after we sold Stuart,Mick.

.I'm fairly sure Derek Parker was bought on the day after we sold Stuart,Mick.

Quite right, Stuart played his last game and scored his last goal for Southend in the 2-2 home draw with Bournemouth. Our next game was 10 days later at Workington when Derrick made his debut and scored his first goal in a 3-0 win.

Also no "threes". The nearest was probably Billy Evans playing with both Jimmy Evans and Tommy Evans in the space of a few months, but not both together !

Back