• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great result, especially if you listen to the Mickey Mellon and Richie Wellens interviews on YouTube who say that was the best that Shrewsbury have played for ages!

Just been listening to the post match interview with Phil on BBC Essex, obviously he seems pleased with the outcome (as we all are)

Points of note:
1. Has issues with the ref / 4th official.. sounds familiar.... (hang on.. wasnt it actually Groundhog Day yesterday?)
2. He would like to buy the 231 fans a Pint that made the long journey on a cold February night. (keep your ticket stubs lads, thats gonna give Ron a heart attack!)
3. Hunt is out with a back problem.
4. McQueen can play in 4 or 5 positions (really?..that many?)
5. Impressed with Loza and McQueens pace against the opposition.

Anyway the link to the full interview is below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03hcppk

UTB
:happy:

Hahahahaha.... we got absolutely spanked and got three points. You know how we ripped Swindon to shreads earlier in the season. It was that. But worse. Fairly sure if Barnett had been up front for them, he'd have popped a couple of those chances away. But he wasn't, so didn't.

First half we were awful for most of it. We were restricted to long range efforts, one of which Atkinson scored but God only knows what the keeper was doing and another from Payne hit the post. They attacked at will, helped by our collective willingness to give them the ball. What formation PB had come up with wasn't working, Shrewsbury always seemed to have an extra man out wide and we relied on some frankly woeful finishing. Second half was much the same. They scored immediately. Timlin got sent off. Two more obvious yellows you won't see anywhere. Loza came on an injected some pace. Not sure whether he was shooting or crossing, but he found Hendrie. Quite what your left back is doing there in such circumstances I don't know. But he was and he scored. To much merriment from the travelling (and very cold) away contingent.

Marvellous stuff and I'm still laughing.

#
Team
Pl
W
D
L
F
A
GD
Pts
Last 6
Burton Albion
Walsall
Gillingham
Wigan Athletic
Coventry City
Millwall
Southend United

Looks pretty good to me, lucky result or not:smile:

Imagine, if everyone that has a game in hand, won their games in hand so everyone is on 29 games played... it would look tighter than the preverbial.

1. Burton - 60 pts
2. Walsall - 59 pts
-------------------------
3. Gillingham - 54 pts
4. Wigan - 52 pts
5. Coventry - 48 pts
6. Millwall - 47 pts
------------------------
7. Southend - 47 pts

It really is anyones game!

I LOVE waking up in my morning and looking for the OMT before the result and ratings. I live each of the posts and pages as best as I can. I go through the same oh **** moments when we let a goal in or have a player booked or give away a pen. That and the match reports are massive for us exiles. Thanks all!

Let me second that! Thanks for the reports so far, good to see we won without playing well, always a good sign, and our poor post Christmas blip is well and truly over.

A couple of comments from the Shrewsbury message board:

'The red killed the game. They adapted to it better than us!'

'True. They just had to defend. We looked like we were concentrating on being patient with the extra man and completely lost our rhythm as a result. Then we switched off and conceded and after that it was hit and hope(less).

What a difference in the shooting. Every time they had the ball round the edge of our box we were in danger of conceding and Leutwiler kept us in it up to half time. By contrast, our shooting was feeble if it was on target or, more often, it was way off target.'

Fantastic result. I will be interested to see who Brown picks against the scum. I assume Barnett will come in for Mooney, Hunt? if injured possibly Loza to come in? The game is even more important now. I like many others cannot wait!

Sometimes I wonder if I was at the same match when reading the reports.

Yes we struggled to contain their accurate free flowing passing game, but here's some facts that appear to have been overlooked.

They created less chances than us first half.
Bentley only had to make one really good save in the first half.
We could have been 4-2 up at half time.
Someone on here asked what was their keeper doing for the first goal, wtf ? Atkinson absolutely hammered it and you could see it swerve away from the keeper with a wicked bend, superb strike.
Their keeper kept it down to 0-1 in the first half, Payne hit the woodwork too.
Thompson was poor first half, very poor, constantly ball watching and losing his man, also looked slow, made Barrett look like Usain Bolt at times, great second half tackle to keep us in it though.
Hendrie was caught out of position a few times but he wasn't the only one due to the formation that PB set us up with, don't think the players knew where they should be at times. You cannot play 2 strikers and Payne in the centre of midfield, he's too lightweight.
Atkinson ran himself into the ground, he's starting to become a very important player for us.
Hunt was pony, really poor, worst game for us by miles.
Loza frightened the life out of them, they didn't know how to handle him, looks stronger than he was before.
McQueen looks very solid and versatile, had a long chat with with his dad on the way back to the car, very interesting, a number of clubs were after him, he chose us, do not under estimate PB's standing within the game and ability to attract decent players is all I will say.

Fans again 10/10

All in all a good nights work, went there having to make changes, didn't play that well but mugged them off, took the points home, the end.

Yes we struggled to contain their accurate free flowing passing game, but here's some facts that appear to have been overlooked.

Someone on here asked what was their keeper doing for the first goal, wtf ? Atkinson absolutely hammered it and you could see it swerve away from the keeper with a wicked bend, superb strike.
Thompson was poor first half, very poor, constantly ball watching and losing his man, also looked slow, made Barrett look like Usain Bolt at times, great second half tackle to keep us in it though.
Hendrie was caught out of position a few times but he wasn't the only one due to the formation that PB set us up with, don't think the players knew where they should be at times. You cannot play 2 strikers and Payne in the centre of midfield, he's too lightweight.
Atkinson ran himself into the ground, he's starting to become a very important player for us.
Loza frightened the life out of them, they didn't know how to handle him, looks stronger than he was before.
McQueen looks very solid and versatile, had a long chat with with his dad on the way back to the car, very interesting, a number of clubs were after him, he chose us, do not under estimate PB's standing within the game and ability to attract decent players is all I will say.

Fans again 10/10

All in all a good nights work, went there having to make changes, didn't play that well but mugged them off, took the points home, the end.
Agree with most of this but thought Thompson did well. I also think we played well enough but on the night Shrewsbury played some really good football. The pitch appeared tailor made for a quick passing game and they certainly tested us, particularly in the 2nd half, but we stood up to it. Our midfield does get muscled off the ball at times but we look like a good solid team with good players on the bench to back the team. Well done to Phil Brown and the team:happy:

Great result, especially if you listen to the Mickey Mellon and Richie Wellens interviews on YouTube who say that was the best that Shrewsbury have played for ages!
They did play well, confident on the ball and plenty of movement but Southend coped and played well themselves.
We are a threat now to most teams, particularly away from home. Brown is doing well in building a team capable of making the playoffs and I look forward to upward progress.

Strange match. We didn’t play well at all but there was no lack of effort and that saw us through. Easily the most memorable thing about the match was the referee. I go to a lot of football but I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a biased performance. I may be wrong but I don’t think he gave us a free kick till the 89[SUP]th[/SUP] minute. I lost count of how many they had. Some of them were embarrassing – their keeper flattened Loza from behind like a bulldozer and somehow won a free kick. Loza was looking the other way and was left dazed on the floor. The lino on the left was equally terrible but the one on the right (who looked female to me but was called Wayne according to the programme) was only marginally better. Sometimes it looked like they were waiting for an appeal from the Shrews and then instantly gave the decision. Amazing that we managed win against those odds and with ten men. No complaints about the second yellow for Tims but I’m not sure about the first.

Anyway, enough whining, Shrewsbury kept possession well and we were saved by Dan, some last ditch defending and some poor marksmanship on their part. There were countless scrambles in the box with frantic clearances. We gave them far too much space – sometimes they were even taking the ball down off their chests in the 18 yard box. Criminal really- we would be punished by a better side. Nonetheless, there was a lot of heart on show and people were throwing their bodies on the line time and again. We weren’t very creative going forward and were very wasteful in possession – gifting it to them cheaply and then letting them keep it. No one really shone tonight – difficult to pick an MOM.

Bentley – 7.5 Some really good shot stopping and commanded the defence as usual but woeful distribution and some dodgy work on crosses.
Bolger – 6.5 Seemed a bit off the pace, floated in and out of the game and it rarely seemed to be him doing the last ditch blocks but won some key header.
Barrett – 7.5 commanding as usual, won countless headers and tended to hoof it less that the rest of the defence. Lots of blocks too
Thompson – 7 Put his body on the line, worked really hard but was skinned once or twice and did lots of Prosser-esque hoofing.
O’Neill - 7.5 Also drifted in and out of the game but what he did he did well. Some cutting passes, won some fantastic tackles and some good driving runs.
Hendrie – 7.5 Lost the ball in key areas a couple of times but his off the ball movement was very god and that got him a goal. Worked really hard.
Atkinson 7.5 – Again lost the ball and misplaced passes on occasion but worked tirelessly and set up several attacks with his runs down the middle.
Leonard 6.5 – Fairly quiet but ran about a lot. Bored of his long throws now.
Payne 7.5 MOM – Probably just shades MOM. A great shot which hit the post first half. Things happened when he got the ball. He kept possession better than most but still lost the ball a fair bit.
Mooney 7 – One of his better performances. A couple of great curling efforts which only narrowly missed and held the ball up well. Looks slow though.
Hunt 6 – Very quiet – never really got into the game

Subs
Timlin 6 – worked hard but silly sending off. Reckless when already on a booking
Loza 7.5 – Like him, pacey and tricky. Not much of an end product in his short time on the pitch but real potential. Looks to have matured a bit since last time.
McQueen – 6.5 Hassled and harried – solid but unspectacular
TBV – Not the loudest but it was cold and the turnout for a rearrange Tuesday night match was good.
PB 8 – Subs really made a difference and the change of shape meant we won the match without having much of the ball
Officials – 0.5 (for the female Wayne) – really dire.

I thought taking well over 200 fans on a Tuesday night to Shrewsbury for a rearranged game was class when you think 15 years ago for the same sort of situation we took bout 30!

Just shows how our club had grown over the last 20 years in terms of support

I thought taking well over 200 fans on a Tuesday night to Shrewsbury for a rearranged game was class when you think 15 years ago for the same sort of situation we took bout 30!

Agreed, I mentioned it in another thread but there was a very similar situation in about 2003 when a game at Shrewsbury was postponed and rearranged with short notice and there was less than 100 there on a wintry Tuesday night at Gay Meadow, we won that one too.

Fans again 10/10

Many of us have said this for weeks, why can't Phil see that it just doesn't work. Payne just off one striker is the best option currently IMO, I'd revert to Barnett and Payne up top on Saturday, with the option of introducing Loza from the bench if needed.

Re: Hunt, I'm sorry to hear that he was so poor last night, though to be honest he's not looked fully fit since he returned from injury. He's certainly really struggling to hit the heights he showed early season.

Anyway to end on a positive, what a great fighting performance to pick up 3 points with ten men. One thing that's impressed me is that a Phil Brown team is nearly always spot on in terms of fighting spirit and work ethic.

Fantastic result. I will be interested to see who Brown picks against the scum. I assume Barnett will come in for Mooney, Hunt? if injured possibly Loza to come in? The game is even more important now. I like many others cannot wait!

Someone on the Shrewsbury fans board thought on reflection that Barnett should have been allowed to play against them!

Very, very true.
Going further back in time. I was one of a handful at Tranmere Rovers on a Friday evening in the 80's. The guy over the tannoy congratulated the "16" Southend fans for their enthusiastic support.

Very, very true.
Going further back in time. I was one of a handful at Tranmere Rovers on a Friday evening in the 80's. The guy over the tannoy congratulated the "16" Southend fans for their enthusiastic support.

Go back another 10 to 15 years and it was sometimes single figures at distant midweek away games.

Someone on the Shrewsbury fans board thought on reflection that Barnett should have been allowed to play against them!

That's because Barnett divides opinion up there. That poster obviously doesn't rate Tyrone so it would have been ok for him to play.

Back