• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Shrewsbury Town 2-0 Southend United

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
A very disapointing result against a team who have up until today not won a game this season. Same old this season of having most of the play but poor finishing, not threatening enough and shocking defending at times pushes us further down the league positions.

I know we have injuries and it is very early days but still on paper we put a good team out (although the subs at times seem very odd) and we should be doing much better than this. SCP needs to sort this out and I think he will in time.

All the optimism I had at the start of the season has now gone. 18th in the league and looking more and more like a side that’s going to be battling a fight at the bottom of the table rather than the top. Questions need asking of both the manager and players.

Poor performance, rubbish result against a team who had yet to win a game this season before we turned up.

Special mention to Theo Robinson, how does this bloke keep doing it? How does he keep getting game time ahead of a youngster with so much more ability than himself? CP really needs to bin this guy and show faith in younger players.

Thoroughly ****ed off.

A quote from somebody at the game today...

"I don’t care how amazing a player Chris Powell was, or how well he did as a manager at Charlton. Today was embarrassing, we’re getting worse by the game, & he clearly hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing".

8 games in and we have picked up 7 points from 3 of the 6 sides now below us- nothing from the other 5 teams now above us. Go a goal down from a stupid individual mistake and then conceded from a set piece again.

This is just getting embarrassing, we have a good enough squad to be solidly top ten. CP does the same thing every game, changes nothing and expects a different result?! He's not a rookie manager but he is making major rookie mistakes and unless he is willing to accept his failings and be willing to make big decisions like a change of formation or the dropping of out of form players we are destined only to fight for League One survival

A quote from somebody at the game today...

"I don’t care how amazing a player Chris Powell was, or how well he did as a manager at Charlton. Today was embarrassing, we’re getting worse by the game, & he clearly hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing".

I'm sure he didn't tell the players to go out there, make an early mistake and concede then just dont get into the game. Granted, his subs aren't up to scratch and the timing of them is wrong. He does need to start making changes, McClousky needs to be starting games

SOUTHEND United boss Chris Powell felt his side ‘let themselves and the supporters down’ during this afternoon’s 2-0 defeat at Shrewsbury Town.

More...

I think SCP is being very honest on his BBC Essex interview.
Love Chris Powell, but he’s too nice - really needs to show a ruthless streak. He knows who he needs to drop, just needs to get it done sooner rather than later. Team also needs a bit of bite (in league 1 you sadly need to sometimes take a leaf out of Steve Evans or Lee Bowyers book)

Stockdale 6 no chance with goals
Demi 1....poor for first goal and looked like Brian the snail...Elvis must have done better
Taylor Moore 7...looked an improvement on the old stagers but then again still would't write Turner off as he is actually a decent player 95% of the time
White 6 same old
Coker 6 a trier but maybe not the answer
Mantom 6 not the same player, injured?
Dieng 6 still looks classy but same as above
Macca 1 when will he join Col U?....manager loves him
Bunn 6.....still looks a good player but impossible with those around him at the moment
Coxy 7....you won't believe it but still a match winner with his slip through's and brain but strikers have to be able to kick a football so play him behind the front two
Hopper 6 what is he meant to do in this set up?
Theo 6.....when your goin knowhere and Theo comes on, you know you've lost...not good enough
McGoalsky 6 no hope again when he comes on....goal record alone should get him a start...not convinced he will!

meh, that was pretty grim. We weren't too bad for spells and Shrewsbury don't look a particularly bad team, but the goals we conceded were very poor and we look short of confidence in all positions. Sadly the loyal travellers weren't really in the mood for it today and struggled to get much of an atmosphere going, with a few players (Hopper, Macca, Theo) getting a lot of stick. An early foul as Hopper was approaching the box wasn't given by the ref and that seemed to set the tone. Straight after that we conceded and it never really felt like we would get back into it.

Stockdale - 6 no chance with the goals, a couple of decent saves and looked solid
Demetriou - 4 absolutely roasted by the impressive Alex Gilliead. Couldn't even pull of a successful hack as he got beaten for the 20th time. Rightly booked. Looked leggy
White - 6 ok but not the answer
Moore - 7 I was impressed, he looked solid and aggressive and looked to step up with the ball. Turner and Moore next week?
Coker - 6 Pushed forward when he could and was pretty solid
Macca - 6 I thought he was one of our better creative players and worked hard but was booked for a terrible dive and went off the boil
Mantom - 6 when he plays well, we seem to play well, sadly he had too much to do and couldn't really be effective in defense or in attack.
Dieng - 5 game passed him by and faded badly
Bunn - 7 looked tricky and linked up nicely. faded as well
Cox - 6 not his day at all. Movement often ignored and when he did get it, he was wasteful
Hopper - 6 also not his day. the CBs handled him in the air which he didn't enjoyed, and missed a good chance from a great Demetriou cross

Subs:
Theo - 6 little service, but that didn't stop 'fans' from getting on his case immediately
McClouskey - Did he touch the ball?

Right see my last post on Match Tread. Thought I'd treat myself a to new shirt this this season Did it out of luv u know . Great sponsor anyway. Thought anyway, and I don't know why but this defeat has made me bloody angry!
Ive'e said Honeymoon is now over for CP. Are all the players earning on a decent wage. Can someone tell me their opinion please Do they acttually
train every day , in case what do they do? /How about we do some shooting/.
Err sorry can't do boss, gotta and pick my new motor.

In veiw of this I really do think he will come good and I,M still a ramainer!#
Lastly i,m sill 100% behind.ring bear, plying cards

Oh yeah who got got tickets for this of shower of sh** contact Ronny boy for refund . You deserve it. One more thing
give a thought for our poor boys coming home prob on a luxury coach drinking a beer, playing cards and a right laugh. Most of them really don't keep a sh** about our club or wearing the shirt

I'm actually a big fan of Powell, but I am slowly losing my patience. Today was an absolute shambles. We rarely won the first ball and whenever we did, there was no one ready for the second ball. This was a hopeless, gutless performance. I can't really give any players any praise today. This was a game against a team with no wins and low on confidence, and 5 minutes in we gift them the lift they needed. The ball falls to a Shrewsbury player (Docherty) inside the box and somehow he has all the time in the world to control it before thumping the ball home. This was the sign that it was going to be a long afternoon. In truth we created little in the 1st half, Hopper went close with a header, and Cox should have scored but instead shot straight at the keeper. Shrewsbury's second goal killed the game off just before half time. Terrible defending from a set piece and their striker (Angol) couldn't miss.

I thought we'd come out second half and have a go, but no. In fact we didn't have a single shot on target. Shrewsbury should have won by more. It should have been 3-0 when a great cross was headed goalwards by a Shrewsbury striker (Angol), but Stockdale made a decent save.

What is really worrying is that when Powell's "Plan A" isn't working, he doesn't actually seem to have a "Plan B". It's really a case of keep trying "Plan A".

Today was dire if you thought Luton was bad today's peformance was far worse.Considering this team with exception of a couple of players is the best that CP can put out.

meh, that was pretty grim. We weren't too bad for spells and Shrewsbury don't look a particularly bad team, but the goals we conceded were very poor and we look short of confidence in all positions. Sadly the loyal travellers weren't really in the mood for it today and struggled to get much of an atmosphere going, with a few players (Hopper, Macca, Theo) getting a lot of stick. An early foul as Hopper was approaching the box wasn't given by the ref and that seemed to set the tone. Straight after that we conceded and it never really felt like we would get back into it.

Stockdale - 6 no chance with the goals, a couple of decent saves and looked solid
Demetriou - 4 absolutely roasted by the impressive Alex Gilliead. Couldn't even pull of a successful hack as he got beaten for the 20th time. Rightly booked. Looked leggy
White - 6 ok but not the answer
Moore - 7 I was impressed, he looked solid and aggressive and looked to step up with the ball. Turner and Moore next week?
Coker - 6 Pushed forward when he could and was pretty solid
Macca - 6 I thought he was one of our better creative players and worked hard but was booked for a terrible dive and went off the boil
Mantom - 6 when he plays well, we seem to play well, sadly he had too much to do and couldn't really be effective in defense or in attack.
Dieng - 5 game passed him by and faded badly
Bunn - 7 looked tricky and linked up nicely. faded as well
Cox - 6 not his day at all. Movement often ignored and when he did get it, he was wasteful
Hopper - 6 also not his day. the CBs handled him in the air which he didn't enjoyed, and missed a good chance from a great Demetriou cross

Subs:
Theo - 6 little service, but that didn't stop 'fans' from getting on his case immediately
McClouskey - Did he touch the ball?

Thanks for the report Pubey, the one thing that really ****es me off is that Macca got a yellow for diving, not only has he been **** but he tries to make up for it by cheating.:Sorry:

Wiggy might be ott at times but 1 out of 10 says it all.

God help us, think the season end can't come quick enough. On our current form its only going to end in tears I'm afraid. If the players put a shift in and loose I can take it. What I can't take is so called professional players who pick up good wages keep dishing up ****e performances when wearing our hallowed shirt. Most of us supporters would give anything just to pull on the sacred shirt and play for the blues.

God help us, think the season end can't come quick enough. On our current form its only going to end in tears I'm afraid. If the players put a shift in and loose I can take it. What I can't take is so called professional players who pick up good wages keep dishing up ****e performances when wearing our hallowed shirt. Most of us supporters would give anything just to pull on the sacred shirt and play for the blues.

After 8 games, get a grip man.

Usual OTT reactions from people...I'm quite sure Powell didn't intend to lose two of our most high profile players for three games. Neither did he intend to have our midfield decimated by injury.

Let's see where we are when Oxley and Kightly are back, and Dieng, Mantom, Hyam and Lennon are fit. In the meantime, let's try a few of the youngsters - they can't do any worse than those out there.

Usual OTT reactions from people...I'm quite sure Powell didn't intend to lose two of our most high profile players for three games. Neither did he intend to have our midfield decimated by injury.

Let's see where we are when Oxley and Kightly are back, and Dieng, Mantom, Hyam and Lennon are fit. In the meantime, let's try a few of the youngsters - they can't do any worse than those out there.

I Don't agree that they couldn't be worse. What we need is clean sheets then we can start to build

Back