• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimperzone? More like War Zone...

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I despair.

Once upon a time, we used to come on here before and after a game and discuss opinions about the team, the tactics, players, the management. There were characters, there were windup merchants, kids and adults traded banter... but it was never, ever like this. It's horrible and turning into something like the Southend Facebook page.

The current situation may be of Ron Martin's making, but he isn't governing people's behaviour. I'm not naming names but some people, both young and old, really need to consider their actions and words.

I agree, but people are at the end of their patience, worried, and are fed up with being fed the same garbage for 20 years. These feelings manifest themselves in different ways for different people and sometimes passion can go to far the other way.

As for me, I detest what Ron has done to the club, and if I still lived in Essex and was going to games week in week out I would be close to breaking point. Luckily, only seeing a handful of games a season and watching on streaming and the way the club has been handled the past 10 years, I have managed to distance myself a little meaning SUFC has gone way down my list of priorities in life.

Many fans have their heads in the sand, many think we are doomed and will be wound up, and these polarised opinions create divisions.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but now is the time that we all need to be united whatever your current opinions are.

I agree, but people are at the end of their patience, worried, and are fed up with being fed the same garbage for 20 years. These feelings manifest themselves in different ways for different people and sometimes passion can go to far the other way.

As for me, I detest what Ron has done to the club, and if I still lived in Essex and was going to games week in week out I would be close to breaking point. Luckily, only seeing a handful of games a season and watching on streaming and the way the club has been handled the past 10 years, I have managed to distance myself a little meaning SUFC has gone way down my list of priorities in life.

Many fans have their heads in the sand, many think we are doomed and will be wound up, and these polarised opinions create divisions.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but now is the time that we all need to be united whatever your current opinions are.
You have missed the point of fbm's post completely.

Unfortunately FBM this has been caused by the years of negativity associated with this club. On (not so much since Kev and Crew took charge) and off the field. We are close to losing our club forever of course tensions are going to be high.

We as a mod team try and allow free speech as much as possible and only act on anything political, abusive or outright trolling.

When the narrative is that of disaster, negativity and despair it’s hard to have great discussion like we used to. The Zone has changed over the years, those great members of the past are no longer with us or have moved on. The introduction of short sharp media and societies, attention span has pushed a lot of people away from places like SZ. People want things across a short amount of characters or short videos.

I still think this is a less toxic place to visit than that dreadful Facebook page and Twitter. I encourage those who think we’ve missed a post that is against the rules to report it. We can’t see everything. Unfortunately until things improve with our current nightmare, all discussion around the club are going to be negative. Had we won 3-1 yesterday it probably would’ve been less toxic. But with the current state after every loss we as a team don our body armour and helmets to prepare for the **** storm we are about to enter.

It’s words on a screen about a football club, there’s more important things in life don’t get to caught up in it. Is it really worth your mental health to care about a football club that doesn’t care about its fans ? Use the rest of the day to do the things you enjoy and not wither in pity about something you can’t change.

Unfortunately FBM this has been caused by the years of negativity associated with this club. On (not so much since Kev and Crew took charge) and off the field. We are close to losing our club forever of course tensions are going to be high.

We as a mod team try and allow free speech as much as possible and only act on anything political, abusive or outright trolling.

When the narrative is that of disaster, negativity and despair it’s hard to have great discussion like we used to. The Zone has changed over the years, those great members of the past are no longer with us or have moved on. The introduction of short sharp media and societies, attention span has pushed a lot of people away from places like SZ. People want things across a short amount of characters or short videos.

I still think this is a less toxic place to visit than that dreadful Facebook page and Twitter. I encourage those who think we’ve missed a post that is against the rules to report it. We can’t see everything. Unfortunately until things improve with our current nightmare, all discussion around the club are going to be negative. Had we won 3-1 yesterday it probably would’ve been less toxic. But with the current state after every loss we as a team don our body armour and helmets to prepare for the **** storm we are about to enter.
Marks point as well at Riceys are both valid. We as The Zone are only ever as good as the members posts. We have no control on the despondency that is now felt by most and it obviously reflects in the posts. The Mods do all they can do to keep things in perspective if things get to out of line, but you can't make a nice cake with **** ingredients.

We have no idea if we are even going to be here as SUFC in a months time we are just relying on RM pulling something out of the hat again after 20 years of on/off stadium plans etc. People get worn down and 3 years of the recent turmoil and ending up in the NL i feel takes a toll on the best of fans. I will also add it isnt just SUFC that has got to people, it is the current state of the whole country and football in general which is in turmoil. We are a society that has been split and you only have to look elsewhere on the net to see this, so it isn't just about one thing. Peoples emotions are being torn apart.

I wish there was a magic wand to make us feel great and all members post nice things, there isn't and even if we stay afloat next month we will still have to put up with the cestpit of Roots hall for another 2 years. (now thats something to look forward to.)

I very much doubt things will change in the near future but we can hope , and that's just about all we do have, HOPE.

Last edited:
I think plenty hide behind the keyboard.
I doubt a tenth of of the vitriol would be exchanged face to face.
What would be good is if posters thought they were responding in person, and what they might say then.
Call me a grammar Nazi if you must, but it would be better if points were clear and concise.
Some of the writing in the Stan abuse thread is difficult to discern.

Unless I have mis-read you @Somerset Ex-TTB, for which I apologise if I have, the OP was regarding the tone and vitriol of the debate. We should be able to disagree without the bile and vitriol that has appeared on here lately.
Yep.

We all know why we are here, and we pretty much all know where we want to be (and where we don't want to be).

It's the manner and the disrespect that doesn't help anyone. Christ knows what this next month is going to be like.

Oh, and there is absolutely NO intended criticism of any Mods in all this... they give up their time and do an unpaid and very difficult job so we can all do all of this. Hang on, sounds like the SUFC staff...

Last edited:
It’s amazing how a keyboard can empower people. Even more amazing how a public conversation online can, compared to a private message, both via a keyboard.

Sometimes people forget that real humans with real emotions are involved - whether it’s a household name ex footballer through to an an average person on the street.

Tactics are all well and good but mean little when the club goes to the wall in 4 weeks time.

Maybe they should use Tictacs. At least if the club does go to the wall in 4 weeks, they will all have fresh minty breath 😁
How dare you make light of this.

Everybody knows Orange and Lime tictacs are where its at.
Even through the gloom, it's good to know the SZ sense of humour is still strong.
Long may it continue.:Thumbs up:

Back