• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sir Jimmy Saville OBE, KCSG (kent shrimper) v John Peel OBE (Pubey)

Sir Jimmy Savile OBE, KCSG (kent Shrimper) v John Peel OBE (Pubey)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opening gambit will have to come later as a bit busy.

Vote Peel!

Jingle, Jangle, Jewellery Jewellery!!!

Jimmy Savile , is an English DJ, actor and media personality, best known for his BBC television show Jim'll Fix It, and for being the first and last presenter of the long-running BBC chart show Top of the Pops. He is also noted for his support of various charities and fundraising efforts. Where he is has raised over 40,000,000.

jim%27ll%20fix%20it%20400.jpg

SAVILE FACT'S

He is a member of Mensa

Savile is a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists and drives a Rolls Royce, when he became successful he acquired a pink Rolls-Royce and at one time his personalised car registration plate was HIS 1

In November 2007 Savile was mugged by a fan who made off with his glasses whilst in a Leeds hotel. According to Savile, he was walking down a corridor of the Queens Hotel at around midnight after attending a function at the hotel when he became aware of a woman walking beside him. He assumed the woman was going to hug him but she instead reached for his glasses before sprinting off down the corridor. He later said "I thought it was marvellous, it was just like old times!". Savile has promised his 'assailant' a box of chocolates for giving him a "'50s thrill in 2007"

Savile's catchphrases include "How's about that, then?", "Now then, now then, now then", "Goodness gracious", "as it happens" (pronounced "as it 'appens") and "Guys and gals". Savile has frequently been spoofed for his distinctive appearance, which almost always consists of a track suit or shell suit, along with gold jewellery.

SAVILLE HONOURS

* In 1971 he was awarded the OBE, which he always subsequently appended to his signature.
* Awarded honorary Commando Green Beret by the Royal Marines.
* In 1990 he was knighted for his services in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. The same year he was honoured with a papal knighthood from the Vatican making him a Knight Commander of Saint Gregory the Great (KCSG).
* He holds an honourary doctorate of law (LLD) from Leeds University.
* He is an Honorary fellow of the Royal College of Radiology (FRCR).
* He is a Knight of Malta and an Esteemed Friend of Israel.
* He is a Freeman, of the Borough of Scarborough

jimmy_savile_in_the_pastjpg_rgb.jpg

Has to be Sir Jimbo, though a tv documentary showed him in a different light to one on the TV, very strange obsession with his dead mum's bedroom.

If I am honest never was a fan of John Peel

john_peel.jpg

John Robert Parker Ravenscroft, OBE (more commonly known as John Peel) was born on 30th August 1939 in Heswall on the Wirral. He tragically died when 65 due to a heart attack whilst working in Peru.

John Peel was more than just a Radio DJ, he was a national institution. The longest serving Radio 1 DJ, he exemplified everything that was right about modern music.

After completing his National Service, he moved to the USA in 1960, where he worked as a Beatles correstpondent for KLIF during the Beatlemania times. This is where he got his first radio job and fell in love with broadcasting.

j_peel2.jpg

When he returned to the UK in the swinging sixties he worked with the offshore pirate radio station Radio London. When it was shut down in 1967 he was one of the first DJs to move from offshore pirate radio to the new BBC Radio 1 pop music station.

At Radio 1 he brought eclectic and abstract music to the masses, without any hint of snobbery or elitism; he pioneered punk music and reggae, and championed folk, blues, classical and electronica music, often squeezing 10 different genres into an hour on air.

He is famous for his Peel Sessions, where bands were invited to record a set that he would play on air, and his warm and relaxed demeanour as he interviewed guests made him a personal friend of many singers and musician. His Sessions were often recorded in Maida Vale studios, but occasionally he invited bands around to his house “Peel Acres” to record and enjoy a glass of red wine.

However Peel was always uneasy with being referred to as a hero or a guru, as he was often likened to. He unified rival genres of music such as Rock and Mod, Punk and Psychedelica, but only because his love of all music was constant.

I began listening to Peel when about 10 or 11, I got my first Hi-Fi and used to listen to him with headphones under the covers when in bed. I began making tapes of his shows, recording my favourite songs and mashing them around with his quirky sayings and gentle humour. I found out recently that my uncle used to do exactly the same in the early 70s!

A tradition each Christmas was the Peel Festive Fifty where he counted down the best tracks voted for by the listeners.

Bands that credit Peel as a major boost to their careers?:

T-Rex, Led Zeppelin, Kevin Ayers, David Bowie, The Faces, Bolt Thrower, The Sex Pistols, The Slits, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fairport Convention, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Napalm Death, Carcass, Extreme Noise Terror, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Gary Numan, The Cure, Joy Division, The Comsat Angels, The Wedding Present, Six By Seven, Def Leppard, The Orb, Pulp, Ash, Orbital, The Smiths, The Bhundu Boys, Syd Barrett, FSK, Trumans Water, The Black Keys, The White Stripes The Bhundu Boys and PJ Harvey. (list – Wikipedia) In total Peel had 4000 sessions recorded by over 2000 artists.

Peel is also well know for his shows on the BBC World Service and Radio 4 (Home Truths), and appearances on BBC Television (notably Top of the Pops and the Glastonbury Festival coverage). He also set up Dandelion and Strange Fruit record labels, both releasing a number of albums as well as the recordings on Peel Sessions.

When Peel died he left behind his wife Sheila and four children.

Awards (thanks to wiki):
Peel was 11 times Melody Maker's DJ of the year, Sony Broadcaster of the Year in 1993, winner of the Godlike Genius Award from the NME in 1994, Sony Gold Award winner in 2002 and is a member of the Radio Academy Hall of Fame. At the NME awards in 2005 he was Hero of the Year and was posthumously given a special award for "Lifelong Service To Music". At the same event the "John Peel Award For Musical Innovation" was awarded to The Others.
He was awarded many honorary degrees including an MA from the University of East Anglia, doctorates (Anglia Polytechnic University and Sheffield Hallam University), various honorary degrees (University of Liverpool, Open University, University of Portsmouth, University of Bradford) and a fellowship of Liverpool John Moores University.
He was appointed an OBE in 1998, for his services to British music. In that year, he was also voted 47th in a Cosmopolitan readers' poll of the Top 50 Most Lovable Men in the World.
In 2002, the BBC conducted a vote to discover the 100 Greatest Britons of all time. Peel was voted 43rd.

So why is John Peel a British hero?

Well he encompassed everything that is great about Britian, he was funny, warm and welcoming. He was open-minded, not perfect, but always honest and selfless.

However ultimately, modern music just wouldn’t be the same without him, he gave plenty of great bands (as well as plenty of duff ones) opportunities that no one else would have. He was a lover of music, the arts, broadcasting, journalism and football. He is completely irreplaceable.

johnpeel.jpg

Last edited:
Has to be Sir Jimbo, though a tv documentary showed him in a different light to one on the TV, very strange obsession with his dead mum's bedroom.

If I am honest never was a fan of John Peel

Me neither. Saville's a bit of a weird choice for this, he's kind of an eccentric sort but you simply can't knock his achievements.

SAVILLE CHARITY FACTS

Jimmy has carried out a considerable amount of charity work, including raising money for the Stoke Mandeville Hospital where he worked for many years as a volunteer porter.

For years, he was the honorary president of Phab and has helped raise over £40,000,000.

Savile has run over 212 marathons (many of them again for Phab, including their annual half marathon around Hyde Park).

Last edited:
Jimmy Saville for me. 40 million quid raised for charity is phenomenal by any standards.

All John Peel did was play a few records and get paid for it.

No comparison here.

SAVILLE CHARITY FACTS

Jimmy has carried out a considerable amount of charity work, including raising money for the Stoke Mandeville Hospital where he worked for many years as a volunteer porter.

For years, he was the honorary president of Phab and has helped raise over £40,000,000.

Savile has run over 212 marathons (many of them again for Phab, including their annual half marathon around Hyde Park).

Don't forget that he is now 83 years old and is still doing these marathons!

john_peel.jpg

John Robert Parker Ravenscroft, OBE (more commonly known as John Peel) was born on 30th August 1939 in Heswall on the Wirral. He tragically died when 65 due to a heart attack whilst working in Peru.

John Peel was more than just a Radio DJ, he was a national institution. The longest serving Radio 1 DJ, he exemplified everything that was right about modern music.

After completing his National Service, he moved to the USA in 1960, where he worked as a Beatles correstpondent for KLIF during the Beatlemania times. This is where he got his first radio job and fell in love with broadcasting.

j_peel2.jpg

When he returned to the UK in the swinging sixties he worked with the offshore pirate radio station Radio London. When it was shut down in 1967 he was one of the first DJs to move from offshore pirate radio to the new BBC Radio 1 pop music station.

At Radio 1 he brought eclectic and abstract music to the masses, without any hint of snobbery or elitism; he pioneered punk music and reggae, and championed folk, blues, classical and electronica music, often squeezing 10 different genres into an hour on air.

He is famous for his Peel Sessions, where bands were invited to record a set that he would play on air, and his warm and relaxed demeanour as he interviewed guests made him a personal friend of many singers and musician. His Sessions were often recorded in Maida Vale studios, but occasionally he invited bands around to his house “Peel Acres” to record and enjoy a glass of red wine.

However Peel was always uneasy with being referred to as a hero or a guru, as he was often likened to. He unified rival genres of music such as Rock and Mod, Punk and Psychedelica, but only because his love of all music was constant.

I began listening to Peel when about 10 or 11, I got my first Hi-Fi and used to listen to him with headphones under the covers when in bed. I began making tapes of his shows, recording my favourite songs and mashing them around with his quirky sayings and gentle humour. I found out recently that my uncle used to do exactly the same in the early 70s!

A tradition each Christmas was the Peel Festive Fifty where he counted down the best tracks voted for by the listeners.

Bands that credit Peel as a major boost to their careers?:

T-Rex, Led Zeppelin, Kevin Ayers, David Bowie, The Faces, Bolt Thrower, The Sex Pistols, The Slits, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fairport Convention, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Napalm Death, Carcass, Extreme Noise Terror, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Gary Numan, The Cure, Joy Division, The Comsat Angels, The Wedding Present, Six By Seven, Def Leppard, The Orb, Pulp, Ash, Orbital, The Smiths, The Bhundu Boys, Syd Barrett, FSK, Trumans Water, The Black Keys, The White Stripes The Bhundu Boys and PJ Harvey. (list – Wikipedia) In total Peel had 4000 sessions recorded by over 2000 artists.

Peel is also well know for his shows on the BBC World Service and Radio 4 (Home Truths), and appearances on BBC Television (notably Top of the Pops and the Glastonbury Festival coverage). He also set up Dandelion and Strange Fruit record labels, both releasing a number of albums as well as the recordings on Peel Sessions.

When Peel died he left behind his wife Sheila and four children.

Awards (thanks to wiki):
Peel was 11 times Melody Maker's DJ of the year, Sony Broadcaster of the Year in 1993, winner of the Godlike Genius Award from the NME in 1994, Sony Gold Award winner in 2002 and is a member of the Radio Academy Hall of Fame. At the NME awards in 2005 he was Hero of the Year and was posthumously given a special award for "Lifelong Service To Music". At the same event the "John Peel Award For Musical Innovation" was awarded to The Others.
He was awarded many honorary degrees including an MA from the University of East Anglia, doctorates (Anglia Polytechnic University and Sheffield Hallam University), various honorary degrees (University of Liverpool, Open University, University of Portsmouth, University of Bradford) and a fellowship of Liverpool John Moores University.
He was appointed an OBE in 1998, for his services to British music. In that year, he was also voted 47th in a Cosmopolitan readers' poll of the Top 50 Most Lovable Men in the World.
In 2002, the BBC conducted a vote to discover the 100 Greatest Britons of all time. Peel was voted 43rd.

So why is John Peel a British hero?

Well he encompassed everything that is great about Britian, he was funny, warm and welcoming. He was open-minded, not perfect, but always honest and selfless.

However ultimately, modern music just wouldn’t be the same without him, he gave plenty of great bands (as well as plenty of duff ones) opportunities that no one else would have. He was a lover of music, the arts, broadcasting, journalism and football. He is completely irreplaceable.

johnpeel.jpg

Some good stuff there about JP.....what website did you get it from mate??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back