• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slovakia v England

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
20 minutes in, virtually one way traffic in England's favour and it still feels like we are stuck in the Euros rut.

And Skrtel and Rooney are no oil paintings either.

I'm pleased that Lallana has finally broken his England scoring duck, but his post match statement, really?

Match winner Adam Lallana, speaking to ITV: "That goal has been a long time coming. I put pressure on myself to score goals. We kept plugging away. As a unit we played brilliantly and they didn't have any chances. Of course it's a great start for Sam and the team. He made it clear he wanted a clean sheet. I thought we were very disciplined."

Is Kane ever going to score again? He's having a real barren spell for both club and country.

Is Kane ever going to score again? He's having a real barren spell for both club and country.

He's never scored in August apparently. Think he'll be fine, but also think last season was an exceptional season and maybe he'll regress to the mean a little bit this season.

Only caught glimpses of the game today, I was decorating and literally chose to watch paint dry instead. Looked like a typical England performance, pretty tidy and untroubled but lacking a spark in attack.

It took until Dele Alli came on before any subtly appeared in England's approach play. He always looks so miserable when he plays but he has a real football thinking brain for the game, he has the potential to be an exceptional player.

He's never scored in August apparently. Think he'll be fine, but also think last season was an exceptional season and maybe he'll regress to the mean a little bit this season.

He's had two exceptional top flight seasons so I'm inclined to think that him being very good is the norm rather an outlier, but he does seem to be missing some mojo at the moment.

He's had two exceptional top flight seasons so I'm inclined to think that him being very good is the norm rather an outlier, but he does seem to be missing some mojo at the moment.

An awful lot of it (at least in an England shirt) is down to this weird, quasi-free role Rooney's carved out for himself with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Kane's not really an orthodox, out-and-out centre forward in that he's always on the defender's shoulder, he varies his runs and is prone to dropping deep at times to pick up and spread the ball. Not knowing where Rooney's going is clogging the space, dragging extra cover over and blocking passing lines to other players.

That was hugely evident yesterday with Slovakia only keen to sit with a low block and hope Hamsik can create something. We ended up camped on the edge of their defensive line, with nobody prepared/able to make probing runs. Sterling was a brilliant example of this - he's been in brilliant form for City so far this season as a huge proponent of Guardiola's system is that it's only really structured until the final third, then the focus shifts to movement on and off the ball. Sterling will always have movement in front of him for City, but he's certainly not guaranteed that when Kane's our only out.

Thought Lallana put in a decent performance yesterday, but I'm still not entirely convinced by him. Henderson's doing a brilliant job as Liverpool's designated Steven Gerrard tribute act. Dier's the only midfielder who has a clear understanding of his role within the team (although that creates problems again when Stones steps out). All in all, it was certainly enough to navigate what will be our trickiest qualification game, but clearly a ton of work required before we touchdown in Moscow.

Build the side around a spine of Hart, Stones/Smalling, Dier/Alli and Kane. I reckon with a full season of football, Oxlade-Chamberlain is looking ominous too.

An awful lot of it (at least in an England shirt) is down to this weird, quasi-free role Rooney's carved out for himself with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Kane's not really an orthodox, out-and-out centre forward in that he's always on the defender's shoulder, he varies his runs and is prone to dropping deep at times to pick up and spread the ball. Not knowing where Rooney's going is clogging the space, dragging extra cover over and blocking passing lines to other players.

That was hugely evident yesterday with Slovakia only keen to sit with a low block and hope Hamsik can create something. We ended up camped on the edge of their defensive line, with nobody prepared/able to make probing runs. Sterling was a brilliant example of this - he's been in brilliant form for City so far this season as a huge proponent of Guardiola's system is that it's only really structured until the final third, then the focus shifts to movement on and off the ball. Sterling will always have movement in front of him for City, but he's certainly not guaranteed that when Kane's our only out.

Thought Lallana put in a decent performance yesterday, but I'm still not entirely convinced by him. Henderson's doing a brilliant job as Liverpool's designated Steven Gerrard tribute act. Dier's the only midfielder who has a clear understanding of his role within the team (although that creates problems again when Stones steps out). All in all, it was certainly enough to navigate what will be our trickiest qualification game, but clearly a ton of work required before we touchdown in Moscow.

Build the side around a spine of Hart, Stones/Smalling, Dier/Alli and Kane. I reckon with a full season of football, Oxlade-Chamberlain is looking ominous too.

Even if we do, (and not necessarily as group leaders), it'll still be the same old story in Russia.

Remember we easily finished top of our qualifying group going to the Euros.France didn't go all that well,did it?

Was at the game,1st half very poor,2nd better.
Most England fans i came back with on the train fromTrnava to Bratislava have given up with England,but will turn up every game.
The most ,maybe he was injured??,but most fans wondered why Kane was taken off,replaced by Sturridge.why not have both attacking against 10 men,Slovakia were not going to attack us.Sam said it was a game he had to win.
Listening to fans on the train,i think if things go wrong quickly,many fans will be on his back,soon

Was at the game,1st half very poor,2nd better.
Most England fans i came back with on the train fromTrnava to Bratislava have given up with England,but will turn up every game.
The most ,maybe he was injured??,but most fans wondered why Kane was taken off,replaced by Sturridge.why not have both attacking against 10 men,Slovakia were not going to attack us.Sam said it was a game he had to win.
Listening to fans on the train,i think if things go wrong quickly,many fans will be on his back,soon
No he didn't

I think ,

Time to give Rooney his international p45,his all round play is very bizarre,at one stage he was our last defender,not good.

Lallana brings nothing.

Kane look's as though he wore concrete boots.

Henderson is not international class whatsoever.

Some of our defending was poor,these guys should know when row z is required.

Yep we won but oh god it was boring.

I still think Sam will do ok though.

Lallana brings nothing.

A well laid-out poem there but I'm not sure about this opening line. Apart from being the only player to bother the scoreboard operator he brings nothing? Nice one.

Last edited:
Back